Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bourbon Barrel Quad | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by beertunes on 03-03-2011

Reviews by inlimbo77:
3.33/5  rDev +5%

2oz taster pour (thankfully)
Had this one at the Portland, OR barrel room on 9/2/12

A: Comes out a slightly hazy, golden color. Doesn't look like a Quad, sort of like the Stoic maybe? By the time I got it there was basically no head. I just a ring of bubbles. Looks to be low carbonation.

S: This smells slightly sour from the blend. Not getting the booze or the vanilla or the oak that I thought I would.

T: I will give them this, it's the easiest drinking quad ever. It's at 10+% and I don't taste it. Hidden very well. But it's a sour quad, so you are losing all the nice dark fruit notes you are looking for. Then the barrel character is also not there.

M: It's lighter than expected too, being medium bodied.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

1.12/5  rDev -64.7%

I've really enjoyed all the other brews I've had from Cascade, so this review hurts me. Served in fluted tulip. Poured a dark honey color, MUCH lighter than any Quad I've ever seen, perhaps the color of a dark Tripel. The beer was very still, low carbonation, no head, lacing or retention.

The aroma was very un-Quadlike as well. Just a bit of fruit, no yeast and the sourness wasn't the pleasant kind of sour we look for in a beer. As far as the taste goes, UGH! is all I can say. This beer is not like a Quad in any way and the sourness is just not good.

The body was thin and watery, with a lingering vinegar sourness on the end. As far as drinkability, if I believed in them, this would have been a drainpour.

Overall, this is clearly the worst beer I've had from this brewery and is a complete fail. I still enjoy their beers and look forward to trying more. But, only the'72 Dolphins made through without a loss.

Bourbon Barrel Quad from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub