80 Shilling Sour Scottish Ale | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by zhanson88 on 06-22-2011

Reviews by zhanson88:
2.86/5  rDev 0%

This barrel was left over from a previous Tap it Tuesday at Cascade. Sounded like quite the oddity so I had to try it. I read somewhere that the ABV was 8.88%, so I'm going with it. Served on cask in a tear drop glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy deep ruby color, close to dark brown, with one finger of tan head. The head retention on this is pretty good, and it leaves some good lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Unusual, but fitting for a "sour scottish". A good deal of caramel and peat and perhaps a touch of herbal bitterness. Also a good bit of lactic sourness, but not enough to reach the forefront of the smell.

Taste: I get a lot of smoke, leather, peat and caramel. Very much like a Scottish ale or wee heavy up front. The back end highlights the lactic sourness, but not enough to overcome the malts. Very interesting, but I can't deny that it was a muddled flavor and not close to a prototypical sour. Don't think a prototypical sour is what Cascade was going for with this beer though.

Mouthfeel: Body is every bit of medium with low carbonation. More like a standard wee heavy than a sour. I like full bodied beers but this was too heavy for the style. Overall, I actually enjoyed this beer but it doesn't grade out real well. But, I didn't find it offensive in any way and would even have it again...not that I will have the opportunity.

80 Shilling Sour Scottish Ale from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub