Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub
Oregon, United States
cascadebrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Strong blond beers were aged in fresh Chardonnay barrels for three months and then additionally aged with dried Adriatic white figs and Spanish lemon peel. Aromas of sweet malts, figs, raisins and citrus zest greet you in the nose. Hints of Chardonnay grapes, lemon peel and sweet figs roll across the palate, leading to crisp lemon sharpness in the finish that will leave a lingering sweetness on the tongue.

Added by largadeer on 06-24-2011

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

2.68/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Draft at City Beer's 5th anniversary. Figaro is a high gravity sour brewed with figs; the exact details escape me.

Appearance: Hazy amber with a thin, fleeting head.

Smell: Heavy-handed spices and...pumpkin? Reminds me a lot of pumpkin pie. A huge lactic character, too. There's a touch of fig, but the spices are really pervasive and somewhat unpleasant.

Taste: An absolute shit-ton of spice and lactic acid. Sweet and heavy but also pretty stomach-churning - it doesn't taste bad by any means, but it's difficult to drink. Tastes more like pumpkin than fig to me, but maybe that's the spices playing tricks on me. A bit boozy, too; burns going down. By far this is my least favorite of the City Beer anniversary beers.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

3.12/5  rDev -25.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Urine yellow. Brief flurry of bubbles and then not much else.

Smell - Fruity. I'm not really able to differentiate the fig in this, but I'll go with it. Kinda citrusy.

Taste - Very sweet. Lots of stone fruit sweetness. Apple and I guess what could be fig. Not a lot of sour, but what sourness there is arrives just in time to cut the sugars.

Mouthfeel - Way too sweet for me and not enough sourness to balance it. A little boozy.

Overall - Not an impressive offering from Cascade. Too sweet, not enough sourness.

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

On tap at City Beer Store. This was one was marked "LP" and I believe spent a little bit longer in the barrel than the other version. Pours a slightly hazy light golden amber with a small white head that settles to a ring and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is fig, cinnamon, lactic acid, and some oak. The taste has some initial sweetness with fig and cinnamon. There is also a lactic tartness and a bit of oak. It finishes with a bit of sweetness and lingering fig. Medium body. Low carbonation. A bit more sweetness than I like and the cinnamon was a bit too prominent. This was a bit better than the version I had about a year ago which I remember as being burningly acidic.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

Live barrel at cascade barrelhouse. Overpriced 8oz. Seriously, 7.50?

A: Placid orange color. No lacing by the time its transferred from the tap to my seat at the bar.

N: Lactic sourness pervades. Lemon and orange zest. Some white grape. Not complex in the slightest.

T: Medium sour quality without much depth. Lemon and lactic acid. I swear I got a seed in my teeth. Really don't get the figs or much else. Chardonnay barrel shows up with the slight vinous white wine aspect. Points for hiding the 9.5ABV,though.

M: Spunky and biting. The best part about this beer.

O: I expected worse. This is clean and summery, but it doesn't have a lot worth recommending since it never grows out of the base strong blond ale. In fact, if I had this blind, I might think it was the base beer. Not going to remember this one as anything other than a tick, and maybe the previous barrel was better, but if this is similar at all to the bottles, it's a pass.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Pungent aroma of muscat grapes, citrus fruit, and oaky dill. Puckering acidity and quite dry. Apricot preserves. Finishes slightly funky. Not bad, but balance a bit off.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a light amber in color with a smallish, quickly dissipating nearly white ring of small bubbles that leaves some dots of lacing.

Aromas beging with a lot of lactic characteristics with good amounts of lemon zest, and some lesser green fruit notes which must be the white figs, but it comes across more like a raw pear.

The flavors begin very lactic and sour, even more so that the typical Cascade sours. After I get past that there is a mild white wine flavor with lots of lemon flesh and zest. There's that same mild green fruit characteristics as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is super lactic and tart, even for Cascade's standard.

Overall this may be my least favorite Cascade beer I have had to date. The flavors are just so lactic and tart and one dimentional for my tastes. While not a bad beer it is just a bit too brash for my tastes.

Figaro from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub