Diesel Imperial Stout | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

cascadebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by Halcyondays on 09-10-2011

4.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark and stormy rum complimented by a rim of mocha-camel foam. Elegant lacing endures.

S - Milk chocolate and hazelnut. Melted Nutella spread on toasted white bread.

T - Sweet, mellow vanilla-bean bourbon. Awesome and delicious. Spiced rum, cinnamon and nutmeg. Chocolate malts shine through, pairing wonderfully with the cocoa beans with which it is aged. Phenomenal chocolate character.

M - Gorgeous and with lovely balance. My only criticism is that it could be thicker and with greater viscosity.

O - Astonishingly, I found this far more impressive than all of the sours on which Cascade made their name. And I tried every single sour pouring. Truly a phenomenal beer which took me completely by surprise. Underrated for sure.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage at the brewery. Had a lot of great sours here, but for me this was the best.

Belgian candi sticks out, while the vanilla bean and bourbon components are blended in perfectly. Great body, nice roasting as but just the right amount. It's sweet, but I like that and can't find anything to complain about here. A+

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I saw this among a list of sours, and I'm always down for a good stout.

Look: Black with very little head.
Smell: Chocolate, coffee, and strong dark malts.
Taste: Initially it has a light bitterness from the choice of malts, then a wash of chocolate and coffee, then ends with a light sweetness.
Feel: I love my stouts thick as oil, but I was surprised I wasn't missing the viscosity.
Overall: I really enjoyed this, it was nice to see a predominantly sour brewer make a delicious stout.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Borefts 2015. Dark pour with a litthe espresso head. Smooth moutfeel and excellent aroma and taste notes of coffee, milk chocolate and cocoa. Very well balanced.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

On tap at the barrel house last night. I think this is what I had (it was listed as the vintage, barrel aged diesel).

The beer pours a blackish brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is complex and really pretty amazing, as I pick up dark chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, bourbon and dark fruits... maybe a touch of vanilla and smoke as well. The flavor profile replicates the nose, though I get almost a gritty hoppy bitterness on the finish, along with some heat from the alcohol (unusual in a cascade beer, though the heat is not excessive). The beer starts out fairly sweet, and is initially dominated by the dark chcolate and vanilla flavor. Then the hoppy bitterness comes on strong and dries the beer out considerably. There's still a sense of sweetness and richness in this beer, but it's not as over the top as i was expecting. Mouthfeel is full, with a long, boozy, slightly gritty finish.

While an excellent beer, this is so rich and intense, I'm not sure I can see myself ever drinking more than the sample size taster I got at the barrel room. Not that it matters I guess, as I expect the odds are very low that I will ever see this beer on tap again.

4.46/5  rDev +2.5%