Prost Secco

Notes:
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 12 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tulip, the appearance was a transparent orange/yellow color with small white bubbly to foamy cap of head. This dissipated fairly quick to barely leave any lace.
The aroma had peach, pear and white grape up front. Light white cracker notes in the backbone.
The flavor copied the aroma fairly spot on. White grape/wine-like aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was between light and medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation was felt appropriately. ABV felt on par. Finish was wine-like.
Overall, is it because I'm not entirely familiar with this style that I wasn't 100% sold on this? Or perhaps, the fact that I'm not a fan of wine that could have caused me to not be that much into this beer? If anything, reader beware, as this review was more or less has a slight bias against wine. With that in mind, I'm hoping my numbers aren't too harsh on this.

May 25, 2018
Lawrence77 from New Jersey

4.31/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got a wife or girlfriend that likes prosecco? Get this, it's something you'll both enjoy. Her for the similar flavors and finish, you because it's still beer.

Appearance is clear orange more than yellow.
Aroma: Captures those prosecco notes, also listed on the label - pear, peach and grape. Liked the aroma, the wife really liked it.
Taste: Aroma notes carry through to the palate. It's a beer upon splashdown but finishes dry and tart just like a prosecco. This definitely isn't a sour sour, it's there to provide balance to the sweet... sweet was my main fear when picking this up. How many 6-packs have we bought that we didn't want to finish? No worries here, will be nice in warm weather and the wife will be nabbing them anyway.
Mouthfeel: Easy to drink. Carbonation isn't anything crazy, actually mild to normal in my opinion. Light, not thick. I think they were going for a prosecco drinkability. It finishes just like a dry prosecco, quite remarkable.

Overall, a very unique concept executed very well. Calling it a sour is a bit of a misnomer; it's there but it's not a regular sour. This beer would definitely be a sweet mess without that sour component. Nicely balanced. As the not-so-into-beer wife says "I can drink that". I think this is a REALLY GOOD OPTION FOR DATE NIGHT when you need something to share at a BYOB. Looking forward to pairing it with anything I would a dry prosecco: cured meats with quality cheeses (aged manchego!), light white Italian dishes, good seafood starters or tapas.

Apr 14, 2018
tigg924 from Massachusetts

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours clear, gold in color with 1/4 inch head. Taste is white grape, chardonnay, pear, and a bit of sour mix. Light bodied, dry, high carbonation and slightly bitter. Really enjoyable biere brut. Interesting. Would get this one again.

Apr 12, 2018
illpass78 from Maine

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. in a tulip.

Appearance: Mostly clear orange/straw with a finger-width head that recedes swiftly to film.

Aroma: Pears, grapes, winey-ness.

Taste: Some serious vinous character. Grapes, peaches, pears, too. Sour notes. Finished with a sour bite.

Mouthfeel: Drinkable even with sourness.

Overall: Fun, winey beer. The sourness adds a nice complexity. Good stuff.

Mar 31, 2018
BEERMILER12 from Maine

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Pours a golden yellow color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a decent cap

S: Definitely get the grapes, peaches, and pears up front along with a light bready maltiness

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with a touch of wheat along with the grape, peach, and pear notes. A bit of bready malt comes in towards the end. Finishes with lingering wheat, grape, and pear

M: Light-medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Very champagne-like

O: A solid interpretation of prosecco done beer-wise. Quite fruity to begin with and then the champagne grapes do their thing as well. Interesting and worth checking out, especially if you like fruity beers and prosecco/sparkling wine

Mar 21, 2018
ichorNet from Massachusetts

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Well, this is a weird and interesting idea. Apparently, Baxter Brewing wanted to combine the "world's greatest fermentation traditions" of German Sour Ales and Sparkling Wines, so they went ahead and made a kettle-sour wheat beer fermented with champagne grapes, peaches and pears.

Pours a 100% clear light, lively golden color with, you guessed it, champagne-like carbonation! So far, this is unabashedly dedicated to its overall concept, and I can't fault that by any means. The head is longer lasting than prosecco or champagne head typically appears in my glass, and there's even a surprising amount of sticky lace to be appreciated. I'm impressed.

The nose is funky, wheaty and crackery with a decidedly "white wine"-like note of funky white grape that seems, again, very champagne-like overall. I pick up a slight bit of tropical fruit and I can pick out the juicy peach/pear notes as well if I really put my nose in my glass. I'm surprised the wheat base beer comes through so much considering the heavily-filtered appearance. I think I would prefer the scent of this beer to be a bit less musty, but I have to say that it is accurate to what should be expected from the description the brewery gives on the label.

Way punchier flavor, with great support from the base beer... I pick up mango, papaya, peach, pear, juicy and tart green apple (without being "acetaldehyde"/off-flavor-laden) with some light lemon zest and and intense, puckering dryness in the finish that feels specifically provided by the champagne grapes. The mid-palate is clean and cracker-forward, with a nice pillowy malt backing provided right before the zip of dryness finishing each sip.

Feel is right on the money here, with a solid carbonation, surprisingly-hefty body and bone-dry finish summing up the proceedings. Glad I took a chance on a sixer of this one... Baxter's recent stuff has been hit-or-miss, and sometimes their experiments haven't quite panned out, but this is one I will be glad to recommend to friends... especially those who love wine and haven't yet gotten into the weirder side of beer with all of its crossover appeal.

Mar 02, 2018
Prost Secco from Baxter Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86 out of 100 with 12 ratings