Stowaway I.P.A. | Baxter Brewing Co.

Stowaway I.P.A.Stowaway I.P.A.
Liked This Beer
3.83 w/ 1,046 ratings
Stowaway I.P.A.Stowaway I.P.A.

Baxter Brewing Co.
Maine, United States
baxterbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Bold, complex flavors with a solid malt backbone and assertive hop profile, along with cold conditioning, give this beer its crisp, clean, hoppy finish. Deep amber-to-orangish in color, Stowaway pours with a nice, creamy head; a huge hop aroma of citrus, pine and grapefruit notes; and a big, complex, and intense hop flavor from the 5 different hop varieties and double-dry-hopping procedure used in making this beer. The malt flavor up-front turns dry and crisp; Stowaway is full-bodied but with a dry finish and pleasant, long-lasting, hop aftertaste. This I.P.A. definitely leaves you wanting more.

Added by Casey10 on 02-01-2011

Liked:
3.83/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,046 |  Reviews: 208

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

1.56/5  rDev -59.3%

Got this from my brother at a dinner party.

As far as look I can't give an accurate rating, had directly out of the can.

Smell is ok, similar to many IPAs minus the typical subtle citrus scent.

Taste for me is awful. A harsh upfront bitterness, I drink lots of dark beer so bitter isn't an issue for me but this one isn't refined, it just doesn't feel right, almost like drinking medicine. It finishes dry but has a very odd aftertaste, the only way I can find to describe it is dirty, tastes like how I smell after the gym.

My brother left these in my fridge as is our tradition when we visit, bring beer and leave it. I don't think I'll be drinking the last few, I'll probably let them sit there for a few months and finally toss them when I clean it out. I wish I could give this IPA a better rating but it just doesn't compare to Oskar's Pinner or Blues in my opinion. I'll stick to Sip.

1.6/5  rDev -58.2%

Description should read:

Assertive & muddled hop flavors with a humungous malt backbone and hard acrid bitterness, along with cold conditioning, give this beer its crisp, vomit-inducing, hoppy finish. Deep amber-to-orangish in color, Stowaway pours with a nice, creamy head; average hop aroma of citrus, pine and grapefruit notes; and a big, muddled, and intense hop flavor from the 5 different hop varieties and double-dry-hopping procedure used in making this beer. The malt flavor up-front is too malty for an IPA. Stowaway is full-bodied but with a dry, thick finish and hugely bitter, long-lasting, hop aftertaste, and a bit of yeast sediment at the bottom as a gift. This I.P.A. definitely leaves you wishing you never bought it.

69 IBU (feels like 5000 IBUs on the back of the tongue and lasts forever)

1.7/5  rDev -55.6%

I've had worse IPAs, but this represents the epitome of everything I hate in an IPA. I made an account just to denounce this beer. This is IPA done wrong. This is IPA made by people who think the point of buying something other than miller lite is not for it to taste good or complex, but only really for it to be more difficult to drink, thereby proving what good taste they have. Initial impression: soap. Taste: sickly sweet, like drinking malt syrup. Aftertaste: sour soap. I love Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Hop Devil, which I see Beeradvocate lists as other examples of the "American" IPA style, but I HATE this beer.

2.1/5  rDev -45.2%

12oz, canned 4/13/12. Very fresh.

Pours a hazy medium amber with a small off-white head. Retention and lacing are average.

The aroma is muffled for an IPA, with some piney, grassy hops. A bit off, but alright.

The flavor is messed-up. Either this beer is infected or has some strange yeast autolysis flavors. Exceedingly vegetal and bitter, with a weird, salty character. Toffeeish malts come through, adding to the mess. "Clean" is not a word I would use to describe this IPA, but at least there's some piney hop flavor in there. A touch astringent, with a drying, medium-bodied mouthfeel.

If the flavor weren't so bad, this would be a palatable beer. Baxter Brewing is all over the goddamn place. "We do what we can, we can what we do, and we CAN'T brew consistent beer."

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.49/5  rDev -35%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Not impressed By overall taste

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not sure if the line was dirty or what but had one of these at a Portland Sea Dogs game and it was one of the worst beers I have had in a very long time. Tasted like a stale, yeasty mess. You couldn't pay me to drink another one.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

2.6/5  rDev -32.1%

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

2.7/5  rDev -29.5%

Thanks to BlessedBeBeer for this one. 12oz. can into a Heady Topper pint glass.

Pours a .5 finger powdery and sticky white head with decent retention. Beer is a clear, dark amber. Lacing is stringy and spotty with moderate stick. Average.

Nose is tea leaves, resin, and bitter caramel. Moerately aromatic but really lacking that tropical and citrus fruit scent that I crave here.

Opens dried tea leaves, resin bitterness, amber hop profile. Malt backbone is present but its deep instead of light and crisp. Caramel and coarse, almost bitter brown sugar at the end with more amber and resin hop bitterness. Finishes more dried leaves with a similar aftertaste. I understand what is going on here and what the brewer is going after. It's not bad but I'm not a fan.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Bubbly and abrasive in the mouth and spritzy going down. Slightly dry and filmy finish with a long, lingering aftertaste. Fits the style of IPA.

This is neither east coast, nor west coast, nor midwest style IPA. There's near no tropical flavor and what is present instead is a amber-ale/mild tea leaf bitterness. But again, there's very little citrus or any other fruit profile. Not a bad beer but not at all my style.

2.74/5  rDev -28.5%

12/11/2011

Can given to me by UncleJimbo at Pizza Port Strong Ale 2011, thanks! It's always nice to try something from a brewery I've never heard of, and I greatly appreciate the gift. Split with my fiancé, who wasn't ecstatic to be told we were drinking an IPA right when she was about to go to bed, but in the end she did her duty.

A: Dark orange and opaque with a finger of beige sea foam. Retention is good and lacing is scattered.

S: Well, this is very, very malty. Bread and biscuit notes are dominant, with a pervasive malty sweetness. There's a little sweet citrus hiding behind the monolithic malt foundation. There are light candied notes in there. This is not only malt dominant but the hops are also very feeble. Still, the malt smells pretty good. On the whole, it doesn't smell bad, it's just that it's definitely below average.

T: Sweet bready malt with biscuit and toasted notes. There's a touch of alcohol and diffident citrus. This is definitely an East Coast style IPA, though I can't say it's really IPAish. The finish is malty and sweet. Again, nothing particularly bad in the flavor, but it's below average on the IPA spectrum.

M: Medium body with upper moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky.

Overall: A lackluster malty IPA. I appreciate the chance to try it, but it's not at all what I'm looking for in the style.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

Stowaway I.P.A. from Baxter Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 69.4% out of 100 with 1,046 ratings