Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pinstripe Stout | Blue Pants Brewery

Gold Medal 2015 World Beer Championships

Added by t0rin0 on 11-18-2010

One of my fav beers

4.48/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells rich of coffee. More so than it tastes. Not too thick.

4.36/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had it on tap at the blue Pants Brewery Tap Room.

Appearance: Pours with a chocolatey-black appearance. A small head that is gone after I take my first sip.

Smell: My nose got slapped. This is an in-your-face stout with toasted everything coming straight out. Mostly hints of chocolate truffle, Heath bar, sweet cream.

Taste: Yum. That says it all. Everything you smelled is now in one place. The only downside that that the malty tastes are so accentuated you can't taste any of the hop involved in the brew. In my case, I like my stouts with as little hope as possible, so I was happy!.

Mouthfeel: Generally I like a stout that has a creamy texture with light carbonation, but this is one of the few moderate-high carbonation stouts that pique my interest. The emphasis of the roasted flavors really balances well with the carbonation. Both cover up the ABV with staggering ease.

Overall: I love this Blue pants brew. It's my favorite beer put out by the brewery that is closest to my home. I can't say the brew would go win double gold medals at an international competition, but it wouldn't embarrass itself either. A solid stout from an up-and-coming brewery.

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

served on-tap into a pint glass @ Suds of the South beerfest

***Note: my review of this beer is under the assumption that this is an AMERICAN STOUT style beer, not a double/imperial stout***

Pours a ashy looking black color. That doesn't mean anything does it? Well, I guess I mean that it is more of a dark dark gray than black, like charcoal. Shoulda' just said charcoal. I don't like deleting sentences, as you can see. 1.5 fingers of khaki head is quick to dissipate.

Pinstripe Stout has a potent nose. It doesn't smell like an imperial stout, but there's plenty of stuff going on. Well, in quantity of smell not quantity of different smells. You like chocolate? There's plenty of baker's chocolate here. You like coffee? Lots of it here. Roast? Naturally. Vanilla and/or cream puff filling? Indeed. Hops? Not so much. But that's OK.

The taste follows the nose. Again, this doesn't taste like an imperial stout. It tastes, at most, like an Export Stout. There's a lot of coffee and darkish chocolate and sweetness too but oh, so much roast flavor... but it isn't a heavy beer and it isn't complex. I drank multiple rounds of this before learning of its ABV% of 8. You can't taste that 8% whatsoever.

This is an American Stout, no more. Blue Pants would be wise to market this not as an imperial stout. It just isn't full enough (in mouthfeel or complexity) to be a successful beer in that category. As a straight-up stout however, I can't really ask for much more than what Pinstripe Stout delivers. Good work, Blue Pants.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled this one at Bandito Southside in Huntsville. Poured black and smooth. Relatively low carbonation contributes to the mouthfeel number. Heavy coffee finish. Really enjoyed this one. I can't wait to try the Knickerbocker Red. Support Huntsville area brewing.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.16/5  rDev +9.8%

4.13/5  rDev +9%

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Serving Type: Bottle
Appearance: Dark and about what I expect in a stout
Smell: Big coffee nose with a bit of wood in it.
Taste: The taste is a bit watery but has some nice coffee to it. A bit less bitter than other stouts I've had but enjoyable.
Mouthfeel. Not as thick as other stouts but still leaves a nice lingering coating.

Overall: A solid local brew for North Alabama. Good price per pour and I am pleased to report the brewery is right down the road from me. This is a great thing for Alabama, never thought I'd see the say. Good job to the Free the Hops campaign and the folks at Blue Pants. I suspect I will enjoy this more when the weather cools down come October or November. Not something I'd go really far out of my way for but if you are in the North Alabama area and you like a good malty coffee stout you should check this one out.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Served in a pint glass at The Nook in Huntsville, AL. This beer is opaquely dark with a coffee and burnt malt taste. Smooth and not as heavy as a Guinness with a slightly bitter after taste. A taste that grows on you and gets better with each sip. Outstanding aroma that makes you want to sniff as you drink. A good local brew that is certainly worth a try.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle -> New Belgium globe glass

A - obsidian black. A vigorous pour yield a massive caramel colored head. Retention and lacing are both great.

S - Chocolate, coffee, and a hint of vanilla.

T - follows the nose. Up front there is some sweet molasses and raisin. Coffee is the dominant flavor, but there is also chocolate, vanilla, and chicory. The finish has just a hint of alcohol warming.

M - very full with a coffee aftertaste.

O - My first offering from these guys. A right decent stout. There are better ones, but this one is worth a taste.

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%

12 oz bittle poured into snifter

A: Rich black brown brew with a little light escaping. Not much of a head but a small ring.

S: Roasted burnt alts, light coffee, nutty, chocolate, a little alcohol.

T: Light smokiness, nutty, roasted malts, light chocolate, a little oakiness

M: Medium bodied leaning toward fuller with a creamy finish.

O: This is a pretty solid stout and the light smokiness plays well off the sweet light chocolate and roasted malts making ths a really pleasing offering. I like the smoke does not overwhelm.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%