Traquair House Ale | Traquair House Brewery Lld

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by kbub6f on 06-07-2000

Reviews: 606 | Ratings: 1,028
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Dark brown w/ reddish character. Half-inch light foam cap, minor retention. Aroma of sweet/tangy nuttiness, caramel-like and toasty. Nose is quite weak though. The taste is of brown malt (choc/caramel) with a raisin sweetness. Slightly bitter, and toasty, very dry tasting. Medium thick with average carbonation. Alcohol not overpowering. I wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped, maybe this was a bad bottle??? The sweetness was nice but a bit funky, perhaps stale? Maybe I just don't like this style all that much. It's still worth a try, and even I might have to attempt another bottle...

3.59/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear dark red. Thin tan head that dissipates fairly quickly. Strong, sweet aroma of malt and dried fruit. Flavor is raisins, dried cherries, toast and just a hint of vanilla. A little more alcohol burn than usual for the style. Medium body. Slightly slick, oily finish and very mild carbonation.

3.59/5  rDev -13.7%

330 mL

This is a beer that needs to be served warm. I normally serve my beer chilled @ around 40 in a warm glass. Then I drink it slow to let it warm to try and find differences. Some beers better at colder temps bc they are just to damn overpowering warm. While others better warm bc you miss a lot of the subtle hints in flavor when cold. This beer SUCKS cold, but evolves into a formidible beer as it warms up to the proper ~50-55 range. My review is based upon the warm beer, so if at first you think this is a terrbile beer, LET IT WARM.

A: Pours a hazy reddish brown. With lots of head. Nothing spectacular here, dont really like the huge bubbles it left on the sides of the glass, I like th lace to be finer than that...

S: Mmmm smells buttery, but spiced with a nuttyness to it. Smelss kinda sweet also, and a little burnt. Very complex nose which I like.

T: Pretty good beer. Nothing amazing but has nice features. Has a bit of smokiness but not a lot. Tastes sweet, I think a little too sweet. A good strong malt backbone with some hops thrown in there making a very nice balance of malt and hops. I think I may taste/smell a touch of biscuit malt, but if so its extremly small...

M: A touch less carbonation would have made me a little happier, as it kind of attacks the palate with each sip. The mouthfeel is medium bodied but a little thicker than most medium bodied beers.

D: Meh, this is not my favorite style, but I am still sipping at it. Not hugely drinkable, at least for me, but I plan on finishing the bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Sampled 11.2 oz bottle while brewing our own Wee Heavy.
A-Deep Amber red/Brown, darker colors are mixed in-very little head. Interesting color.
S-Very Earthy, Musty yeast, mild fruits. Again very interesting.
T-Sweet at first, Caramel/Toffee and biscuit mal flavors, the middle tasty earthy like peat/Scotch with a very mild smoky flavor, Black tea flavor as well which was not terribly pleasant. A little bitterness but very little hop flavor.
M-Very thin and watery with little carbonation. Mouth feel was disappointing on thie beer which lent to the tea flavor.
D-Better than average as there are interesting flavors here but I wouldn't drink alot of these. Very subtle flavors and aroma. I'll try this again as my palate improves.

Best Before June 2018

Big pieces of toffee up front. Chewy caramels on toasted malts slowly emerge. Hints of rough, sanded barrel wood. Nose needs time to warm and open, but it's well worth waiting for, as the caramels on a touch of ABV come forward along with notes of sticky, fig-like fruit.

Darker caramels than the nose served on unfinished oak. Malt is well toasted, with hints of a very light roast underneath. Woody bitterness turns up in the finish and leaves the sugars dark and almost burnt.

Overall, just a bit too dark and bitter for my preferences in a Scotch Ale. If only the taste could feature more of the nose of caramel and toffee.

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured into a snifter: Deep, murky amethyst with some medium ruby highlights. About a half-finger of eggshell head that drops to a bubbly collar & thin dusting.

Smells of a moderate caramel, a fruitiness like grape jelly, slight bubble gum, & a mildly spicy alcohol note.

Taste pretty much follows with the smell, plus a slightly ashy, dry character that comes about halfway through & really hangs in there. Flavors are surprisingly muted & a little watery.

On the thin side, pretty smooth with a lightly gummy caramel-like feel.

I'd had this on my list for years, as I'd always heard & read that it was a really good example of a style I really liked. Don't know if there was something wrong with this particular bottle, but I thought it really fell pretty flat. Nothing bad about it, but not much very memorable, either. I'd be up for trying it again, but I can't really say I'm impressed by this one.

4 oz. pour served in a Port/Lost Abbey taster

A - Crazy - very dark red, extremely cloudy and greying near the top, with a thin transparent layer at the top; no head

S - Brown sugar, raisins, figs, and caramel

T - Very malty, with a touch of white raisins, grapes, and a distinct yeasty element.

M - No carbonation; rather dull

D - I could drink more; it's not overly sweet, which is a good sign for me when drinking this style

I enjoyed this, but I wasn't blown away. For $6, I could buy 4 or 5 Lake Louie Warped Speeds...the economist in me is unsatisfied with this purchase.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark brown with ruby red highlights, oily, bubbly brown head that dissipated rather quickly.

S: Stomach acid? Musty basement? Those were my first thoughts unfortunately... as it warmed I pulled out sweet and strange fruits, almost like fruitloops cereal. Lots of stuff going on here.

T: Rich chocolate pudding and instant coffee, spicy black pepper, dry alcohol bitterness. Reminds me of a flat barley wine.

M: watery syrup with sporadic carbonation.

This was a pretty good brew... nothing really caught my attention though. It was a bit watery at times and the carbonation was strange and inconsistent... not a bad drinker but not the best either.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Bobsy. Aroma is molasses, banana, whiskey and spices (cinnamon, cloves). Flavor is bready, brown sugar, a little too sweet for me. Palate is quite full for the style with soft carbonation. Not exceptionnal but I'm glad I tried it as I don't often have the opportunity to tatse this style.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Color is a of a chestnut brown, no real head appeared as I poured it slowly into a 10 oz tulip, just a few big bubbles, no real lace either. Aroma is all malts, loads of caramel, sweet, dark, with a earthy undertone of tobacco and wet wood. Taste is super mellow of caramel, dark toffee, some dark fruit notes of plum and banana, the malts are provided all over the place, but not thick, more so of a very clean and softly calming chewyness, thinnish to the point of becoming non-existent really. Not very flavorful. Some notes of hazelnut and molasses poke through as it warms but nothing sticks out really. Kinda boring and plain. Feel is a bit thin, the front of this is like water, nothing there, but luckily it picks up some and renders some light heft over the middle and has a smooth lightly sticky, calm, malty sweet finish that doesn't last all that long. Not something I'd buy again, nearly forgetable.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle served in pint glass.

Pours a clear dark red, almost brown, with a thin off-white head that quickly recedes to a ring. A few soapy bubbles stick around.

Smells deeply of sweet caramelly malt. That's about it, but it's good.

Taste is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting, there is a lot more of a bready character to it, with a hint of roast. I taste hops all the way through, which seems sort of odd for the style. Alcohol is well hidden. Dry, woody finish, I think there is some smoke too.

Mouthfeel could be a little more syrupy for my taste. Carbonation is minimal, which suits the style.

Drinkability is average for me. If I'm going to drink a 7.2% beer, I want a little more excitement.

This was just sorta blah for me. I'm starting to think that I just don't care much for this style... I was hoping this might be "the one" to show me the way, but no such luck. A little too subtle for me. I will have to try the Jacobite one of these days.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Nice head and lacing. mostly islands and ring lacing. dark.

butterscotch is the prevailing taste and smell.

Alcohol comes through rather abrubtly and the malts are gloriously deep and sweet. Some dark fruits creep in the picture towards the middle ell: Figgy, a little butterscotch, sweet and spicy alcohol and a malty nose that has depth to it.

quite chewy in the mouth. some bready malted characteristics. just a touch of alcohol again and light sweet fruity finish. I would drink this regularly but for the price i'm one and done.

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Clear, deep amber. Slightly off-white head. Poor retention.

Smell: Nice. Yeast, red apple, caramel malt, cake spice, with a slight hint of wood and butterscotch.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Deep and malty. Sweet, a bit spicy, a bit roasty, apple, raisin, with bittering hops cleaning up the finish. Alcohol is well-disguised. The mouthfeel is smooth, but quite thin.

Drinkability: It's... OK. It's a nice beer, but not the special experience I was expecting. Given the outrageous price and rather (IMO) run-of-the-mill flavor, I'll stick with Skullsplitter.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Pours a dark brown color with amber hue when held up to the light with an off-white head. The aroma is dark toasted malts with dark fruits, sweet caramel, and molasses. The taste contains dark roasted malts, a touch of coffee and a dry lingering bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Overall, this is an interesting brew that is certainly worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Nice deep brownish mahogney reddish color with a good size tan head and decent retention and mild lacing.
Nose is coffee with malts,caramel and a hint of alcohol like rye whiskey and sweet fruit.
Taste is caramel,sweet figs,malt flavoring with some bitterness and turning to dryness at the very end when the alcohol flavor kicks in due to the 7.2%
This brew goes down creamy and kinda got a thickness feel to it,starts out very nice and creamy with all the flavoring coming thru but the finish is flavoring of rye whiskey,which is'nt really that bad,but not something you would drink too many of,one is good enough for me.
Overall not bad at all,have one,sit back and relax,enjoy the brew and then move on to something else.

Bottle.
Pours the color of iced coffee, with a thin tan head.
Aroma is malty, raisins, caramel, oak, Scotch.
Flavor is smokey, vanilla, molasses, scotch whiskey, some sugar with a healthy alcoholic kick. Seems a bit higher than itÂ’s listed 7%. Don't think I could drink more than 1 of these in a sitting.

Best Before: Dec 2017
From: Premier Wine & Spirits

A: Dark brown body with very little off white head. Lacing is minimal.

S: Caramel, sugar maybe some notes of vanilla. Pretty mellow aroma with obvious alcohol notes.

T: Roasted malts, caramel and brown sugar. It's alright, but nothing spectacular.

M: Medium bodied and low carbonation. The texture is watery and the aftertaste consists of sugar. Alcohol comes through quite a bit.

D: Decent brew, but not that amazing. Can't wait to try out the other one.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

Was expecting a lot more from this beer, but was somewhat dissapointed. Little to no head and a hazy cherry in appearance. Aromas were mostly that of sweet fruit. Very caramelly in flavor with some good fruitiness as well, but overall everything just seemed to blur together. Alcohol was evident, but not over the top... still had to drink pretty slowly.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500ml bottle served in a tulip. Pours a translucent mahogany hue with a fizzy, off-white head that quickly dissipates towards the shoulders - no lacing on this one. Nose expresses vinous notes, yeast and a hint of cocoa towards the back. Taste is somewhat dull and flat - vinous notes remain; however, there's also an unleavened bread quality and a kiss of something herbal - no oak here. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a carbonation just shy of prickly and a semi-dry finish. Overall, a bit underwhelming for a beer considered to be a style archetype.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz. bottle tried 18 Aug 2007.

Medium sized fluffy tan head. Opaque drak chocolate brown color. Strong aroma of green bananas and cherries. Sweet cherries and toasted bread. Bready sweet and somewhat warming. Fairly flat. Surprisingly light body. Easy to drink.

A liked this a lot better than I did.

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from bottle to a tulip glass, looks dark brown in color until it's held to the light and then it's a really nice, clear, burgundy brown color, almost like a raisin. The tan one pinky head goes away very quickly to an even lacing around the glass, mild carbonation.

Smells of lightly boozed plum, figs, prunes, bread. Also picking up hints of candied toffee and butterscotch.

Taste isn't anything like I expected judging by the nose. I expected more of a warm booziness which is pretty much non-existant. Has nuances of raisin, sour plums and dark fruit. As I work through the bottle, the beer becomes a mildly tart. An underlying flavor is a subdued chocolate with everything else piling on top of it.

Texture is very smooth and medium bodied, drinkability is very high.

I'm mad at myself because I purchased this bottle about two months ago and judging by the other reviewers, I'm not experiencing the same nuances, no telling how long it sat on the shelf in the store before sitting for an additional two months in my beer cellar. Because it lacks complexity and shows signs of sourness, something tells me this would have been a different experience had it been a fresher bottle or on tap. I'm dissapointed. (Mainly in myself.) This deserves a second review with a fresh batch.

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

From a 33cl bottle with no date evident, into a wine goblet. This beer is a deep ruby read with a few tiny carbonation streams. One finger creamy brown head fades slowly to a thin cap and scattered lace. Musty and earthy on the nose, along with semi-sweet malt. Clean and a bit plain. Tastes similar to nose, more akin to a Gruit/herb ale than a typically smoky Scotch ale. Definitely earthy and dusky with herbs. Subtle and somewhat plain. No fireworks here for sure, just earthy and natural. Mouth is clean and wet with light but full carbonation, smooth on the palate. Drinkability is very good given the light and subtle flavor profile.

Overall: A good, subtle brew, more akin to a gruit than Scotch ale in my opinion. Very mild and drinkable, perhaps to a fault.

3.69/5  rDev -11.3%

11.2 oz bottle into a pint

A - A dark amber hue - certainly not extremely opaque. Head formation is quick and off-white. Lots of carbonation present. Appears to be highly filtered.

S - A combination of sweet barley malt tones and some phenolic hints as well. Some hints of oxidation exist in there as well.

T - Starts off rather flat with a mostly roasted malt flavor - some kind of specialty. Mid-stream starts to show bitterness, but no additional flavors develop. Finishes with a much more over malt sweetness and yet grainy astringency. No hops on the tongue or the aftertaste.

M - Moderate body - has some creaminess and body to it driven both by its high sugar content and higher carbonation. Does leave a clinging film on the tongue.

D - Seems very drinkable - easily quaffable. ABV is higher than average. Higher than normal sweetness does cause some palette fatigue. Carbonation is making it a hair filling.

A reasonable substitute for Old Chub when I can't get it.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a very dark brown, decent creamy head that dissipates leaving a ring of foam on the outside. Smells of chocolate and caramel malt, some smokiness, a nice earthiness. Tastes of earthy and slightly smoky sweet malt with a nice mellow bitterness. Finishes with some faint smokiness and fairly sweet. Alcohol noticeable. Nice creamy body, very smooth.

A really nice beer, very smooth and mellow flavors. I was hoping for more to be honest, a little lackluster in the flavor. All in all, a very good wee heavy.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

a - very murky appearance. low carbonation

s - fruity! weird smell actually, super sweet.

t - Raisens/prunes. other than that, somewhat of a thin palate.

m - medium body, so i would have liked it to be a bit heavier, but otherwise good.

o - good. better than the jacobite, but again over priced.

Traquair House Ale from Traquair House Brewery Lld