Traquair Jacobite | Traquair House Brewery Lld

traquair.co.uk

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

A- This deep dark brown almost black Scotch Ale went into my snifter glass. Fast falling light beige head , just a wimper of lacing.

S- Smells of dark berries, cherries, brown sugar and molasses. Very faint aromas of spice, corriander not being one of them. Slight alcoholic edge as well.

T- Fruits are riding the coattails of the sweet sugary malt. Definitely getting some of the corriander mid mouth. A slight tingle of pepper along with some bittering hops in the finish that hang around on the tongue.

M- I thought this could of had a heavier feel, but it was somewhat sticky. The carbonation stands out a little to much and tingles the tongue if let to sit.

O- Just not as bold as I like my Scotch ales, decent enough but I'd skip this and grab their House Ale.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

330ml bottle, found in Las Vegas and brought home to the UK 18 months ago: I figured it will have settled by now.

Poured into my Westmalle chalice: Ruby red with only a thin collar and mini wisp for a topping.

The smell at first was vinous, then comes dark chocolate, red berries and plum bread all at once, lovely.

This is my sort of beer, rich, almost smooth: the semi-sharpness of the hop bitterness reminds you this isn't supposed to be soft, it's a Scotch Ale not a Milk Stout! There are a multitude of flavours to find: spices from the Orient, berries from the forest, dried fruits in a Christmas cake, malts from a distillery, haggis from the hills. Take a sip and close your eyes, wonderful: let your taste buds go crazy.

This is a warming, winters brew and so, so well made: the alcohol is well hidden, comes out towards the end of the drying mouth, but not harsh or unpleasant, just letting you know that the car keys should be given to someone else.

If only the beer looked better in my glass (I do love a proud, deep head on my beers).

Drank from my Duvel tulip

A - Pours a dark Mahogany colour, with an off White cramy head that reduces quite quickly.

S - Aromas are roasted malt and whiskey booze and sweet vanilla.

T - Up front some really nice vanilla malts followed by some roast perfectly balnced sweetness and a little smoke. The finish is very long and smooth. The booze is present but complimentry not out of place.

M - Medium to full body with light to medium carbonation.

O - A very tasty wee heavy and recommended.

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%

11.2oz to my pint glass. Kinda poured aggressively a dark chocolate brown & a monster khaki head to top it off. Small amount of lacing at best, but the booze sticks to the glass.

The nose is literally a sugar coated olfactory orgasm. This is possibly the best smelling beer I have ever laid nostrils on. Rum soaked chocolates with burnt caramel and toffee and a really sweet candy spice that just tips it off the scales!

Introduced formally to my taste buds in a spicy caramel and malty form. Very sweet malts play through to a nutty quality that compliments rather nicely. Out back, waiting to kick your fucking ass is a booze burn with a rum-like character. Dont worry, the ass-whooping isnt too bad. Lighter mouthfeel makes the drinkability high - danger!

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a Tulip glass. Best by 2017 on the label.

Appearance: Murky to cloudy dark brown. Initial light tan head died back pretty quickly. Some initial very fine lacing observed, but this disappeared after awhile.

Smell: Very rich malt. Molasses, rich buttery toffee, some hints of baked whole wheat bread, with a hint of something else in the back. Herbal, spice? Can't place it exactly. Very appealing in spite of the fact I can't pull out that last aroma. Every now and then I get some raisins as well mixed in there.

Taste: Molasses, toffee, and at the finish a very mild bitter + something else. I suspect that something else is the Coriander, but I can't tell exactly. All one would expect in a wee heavy - a wonderfully blended malt bomb of a beer, but very smooth.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, a little bit thick, and mild carbonation that is just right that leaves the tongue feeling a little bit spicy.

Overall: A very interesting beer. I wish I had the normal Traquair and this side-by-side for comparison to see how the spicing of the beer changes the nature of beer, but despite that, a very good Wee Heavy. A sipping and savoring beer with the alcohol very well hidden...I could see myself having another without so much sipping and savoring. But it is a rich beer and maybe that would hold me to one.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle, at Haket Pub & Restaurant, Göteborg, Sweden. Deep reddish brown colour, creamy head. Herbal aroma, quite nice. Sweetish and herbal flavour, sourish in the finish. Not bad, but is it worth the price? Not really, IMHO. Will necessarily be compared with Traquair House Ale, which is better!

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Wow, what an unusual beer. This one has been sitting in my cellar for a long time but the carbonation is still good. Nearly no head to speak off, just a faint wisp of paper thin foam sitting on top. Small bubbly lacing that falls quickly. Best by 2019!

I really like the smell of this beer...massive note of toffee and butterscotch. Missus says she can get a little coriander in the smell but I can't get it.

She says it tastes like savory butterscotch. I guess I get that. It's sweet but definitely not overpoweringly so. I still don't get much if any coriander; maybe that's due to the bottles' age? Booze is well hidden. Trace of smokey peat here. Malty. Buttery tasting and somewhat buttery in the finish as well. Medium long aftertaste, lingers pleasantly.

This isn't a beer I would buy all that often but it's certainly unique and quite enjoyable. Can't imagine anyone drinking this as their go-to brew though! Very cool, glad I tried it.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Pours a dark brown/red body with a quickly fading tan head.

S - Earthy chocolate, dense caramel, brown sugar, toffee flavored cotton candy, sorghum, raisins.

T - Toasted brown sugar, molasses, toffee, caramel, vanilla, hints of chocolate, the coriander adds a good "non sweet" layer that helps with balance. Finishes with a hint of bitterness.

Caramel, toffee and molasses are the stars of the show but don't wear out their welcome. Everything melds very well. This is what I want out of a Scotch Ale.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A scary looking bottle that reminds me of all those etchings about the black plague. Haunting in my opinion.

Pours out with very little head. Slight cascading bubbles and a deep dark opaque brown-black body.

Aroma is coriander, yes, but so much more. Really a licorice candy smell- a little floral quality, I'm guessing from the hops. Still mossy and grassy like so many SWHs but deeper and more layered.

Fantastic smooth sweet flavor, spicy and peppery. Licorice/coriander show up huge, this is truly a spiced beer. Burnt malts turn it into a varied affair, layered from sweetness to spice to bitter.

Mouthfeel comes off properly carbonated and really slick. Not sticky or too heavy. Nice.

A very great beer, especially for this style, which I don't love or hate. So many Scots just taste like a piece of burnt moss, but here there is so much more going on and so much spice it makes for a unique, delicious brew.

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

330mL bottle thanks to [email protected]

Treacle coloured pour, near black in the glass. One-finger beige head of fine bubbles dissipates noisily to a slight ring.

Very strong dark fruit presence. Prunes, muscatels, fresh baked berry muffins and some pungent bready malts. Gorgeous.

Flavours are similarly vibrant. Molasses, plums, raisins, dark treacle, raspberries, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Oily and smooth but not thick, marred by slightly prickly carbonation.

Impressive array of dark fruit and fortified goodness. Very well defined aromas and flavours. Proof positive that malt bombs can be brimming with personality.

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a Swiss wine snifter. Unknown vintage, however the bottle states it is best before 2017.

Pours with little head and a brown, slightly muddy body. Appears dark brown in normal light and shows dark amber hues when held up to concentrated light. This looks like it has been in the bottle at least 2 full years, maybe longer.

My first whiff of this beer and my first thought is: I have never smelled a beer like this before! Man, this is so fruity I can hardly believe it. This almost smells like there is a package of Welch's fruit snacks dissolved in it. The candy-fruit aroma is astounding. How that could come from malt, hops, yeast, and coriander is beyond me. Awesome.

The flavor tastes well-aged. I believe I have an older bottle, as there are many signs of age in the flavor of this beer. The floral fruity "fruit-snack" aromas manifest as flavors here (in a positive way) and meld with the aged malt flavors of dates and dark fruits. The flavor is sweet, but the feel is on the dry side, which keeps this from being overly-sweet or cloying.

The mouthfeel is on the thin side, but not in a cheaply produced way; it feels much more as if it has been aged considerably and the mouthfeel is beginning to thin out. The carbonation is still present however, and provides a little bite that is pleasant.

Conclusion: Another winner from Traquair House Brewery! I think this example is at least a few years old, but as I love aged ales it struck me as very tasty and interesting, especially the aroma. This ale is unique from anything I have ever tasted, which I guess is due to the coriander addition.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Small head when poured which quickly dissipates. Dark, cloudy appearance, with little to no lacing.

S- I like the smell of this one! Brown sugar, dark fruits, I do pick up on some spices.

T- I can't taste the alcohol at all. Very well done! Sweet upfront and then you get some spice as it hits your palate full force. Cocoa, caramel, plum. Very smooth.

M- It stays around just for appetizers and quickly leaves. I was really hoping for more here, very fine carbonation. Slightly sticky.

O- Awesome.

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a cola colored caramel with a two finger tan head.

Intense smells of game meat, a custardy caramel, and a little bit of smokiness.

On the palate we lose the gaminess and get into some of those 800 calorie coffee drinks you can get at your local coffee establishment. Sweet caramel, mocha, and crisp, bracing bite like you get on the back end of a Coke. The back end is a nice blend of nuttiness and woodiness.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a dark amber. Two-finger mocha head settles to one-finger slowly annnnd.... stays that way to the end, nice retention.

Nice big malty aroma. Woody notes with plenty of brown sugar. Spices yes, but I'm not even going to pretend I can pick them out.

Taste delivers. Woody malt right up front, big deep flavours, nice chocolate malt with nice smooth vanilla. Carmelised nuts, licorice, dark fruits... again others seem to pick out the actual spices but I can't pick this beer apart, everything melts together beautifully.

Great full mouthfeel without being too much. Alcohol is well covered by everything going on.

A great one, seek out.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Traquair Jacobite

Appearance: Dark amber brown color, pretty good clarity. Small white cap forms and recedes to the edges of this big brew.

Smell: Scotch aroma, alcoholic, sugary malts.

Taste: Deeply malty, with a peaty, vaguely roasted flavor. Caramel, barleywine like fruityness. Small coriander spice in the finish. Small alcohol presence. Flavors integrate well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, super smooth.

Overall: A big, fine brew. Really puts the Scotch in Scotch ale.

Appearance. Deep brown with a little purple and red. Small light head that leaves a little lace.

Smell. Licorice, orange peel, caramel and some cherries and molasses.

Taste. Light but sweet caramel malts, a little peach and anise. A little chocolate and smoke. Pretty clean finish and just a little alcohol and orange peel.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium-low smooth carbonation.

Overall. Great stuff. Drinkable, high abv with some nice flavours. What's not to like?

Thanks Sammy!

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Poured heavy into my brand new Bruery Tulip glass... a two finger head of tan foam that dissapears quickly and leaves no tell tale sign that I'd just poured a beer. Deep, dark mahogany with red highlights when held to the light!

S- Figgy puddin', prunes, dark brown sugar, Currant jam and spices... toffee and caramel, light hints of coffee. Gets better as it warms up!

T- Toffee and sugar plums, sweet malts, touches of smokey malts, figs, raisins, and dried cherry. Really nice caramel and molasses depth. Just a breathe of tangy sourness. I can't speak of hop/malt balance on this brew... but what it has, is outstanding!!!

M- Not as thick as I was hoping for, but really tongue coating!!! Love the sweet and tart balance on the tongue! Sugary sweet, full of spice, but tart! Very nice!!!

O- Really great depth of flavors! Wish the mouthfeel was a touch thicker... Really glad I finally tried this one! At $5.49/bottle its not really a deal, or something I will seek out often, but I will definately have this again!

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%

Could swear the last time I had this it was a lot better, Oh well, no matter. I let it sit out a bit to warm up. It poured with a small, fizzy, tan head that quickly disappeared in total. Color I think might be clear, but is in any case a very dark, if not opaque brown with garnet highlights. Aroma is dark ripe fruits like figs and raisins, dark roast malt, molassses. Flavor is similar to nose. Body is a tad flat and yet not bad. Finish is like flavor plus some extended dark roasty malt flavors that last a bit along with some booziness.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Dark brown color pouring without any foam or head whatsoever. Murky and imposing.

Dark fruit aromas, with peat smoke and oak notes. Pretty woody flavor as well. Coriander is definitely notable here as well. Big malt flavor, with the sugars and molasses. Slightly sour note as well.

Body is nice, finishes sweet with a slight note of sour. Very little carbonation, body is viscous and coats the mouth. Maybe a little extra carbonation would be an interesting, but Jacobite is nice enough as is.

3.07/5  rDev -26%

Poured into a New Belgium globe. This particular bottle was aged at least seven months, though it was probably on shelves for longer before that. No way of knowing without a freshness date.

Murky cola brown with some clearer oaken highlights. Not much head to speak of at all — just wisps of whitish bubbles.

Smells old and oxidized. Lots of honey sweetness, toffee, caramel and earth, with butterscotch below. I don’t get any of the coriander this was supposedly brewed with.

Honey again in the flavor. There’s also brown sugar, hints of toffee, brandy and bread pudding. Very dry, earthy finish. Tastes old.

Creamy medium-full body with very light, tingly carbonation. Full and heavy in the mouth.

Like I said, this one might be a bit old. It’s not a drainpour, but is a bit too dry and stale for my liking.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at the Wine Emporium (smaller store) while in Boston attending Game 3 of the Stanley Cup.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a deep, dark brown. There was half finger white head that immediately faded away leaving minimal halo.

S - Sweet malt and alcohol aromas. Some light chocolate too.

T - More of the nose. There are nice dark fruit (dates). Some light chocolate and carmel notes. I'm guessing light corriander as well.

M - A bit too sticky/syrupy for me. Low carbonation makes this a bit heavy on the mouth. Alcohol is big time present.

O - This isnt that bad of a scotch ale. It has some nice flavors, it just didnt all jive for me. I can respect why many others love this, I just simply didnt.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%

Another bottle picked up at Newton Farms while vacationing @ Kiawah Island. I’ve heard good things here so I picked one up. Have no idea what to expect.

Pours with very little head and only a scant film of foam remains atop the brew. The beer is a hazy dark brown color almost like a chocolate bar. No lacing at all.

Aroma is of molasses, perhaps a bit of black licorice. A touch of tobacco and some sweetness.

Wow the flavor is quite chocolatey. Some prune and again a touch of tobacco. Not sure I could pick out coriander here. Initially seems like it’s going to be sweet, then it takes a left turn and finishes quite dry. I think of Good & Plenty when I drink this and that subtle black licorice flavor.

Body is a touch light for a wee-heavy as far I’m concerned. Just a spritz of carbonation.

It’s a decent little beer, but I’m not sure I’m crazy about it.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Forgot what this ale was all about - it's been years. Label mentions coriander - aside from that, there are other subtle differences between this and their House Ale. This may be a more complex, more rewarding drink.

Dark, burnt-blood crimson/brown, nearly opaque, murky. 3/4" tan head of light spongy quality sinks swiftly. Still after that.

In the low 50s, I could easily sniff out dark fruit (plum), molasses, and some faint toffee. A degree or two warmer, rich brown-sugar malt and a little bit of pan-toasted almond come on. Coriander is in there around that pillar of dense, leathery/fruity malt. Spice (coriander now?) and mellow booze, even further. A deep, developing, enveloping smell sensation.

Scents become flavors, feelings - brown sugar (or molasses)-soaked plum and a decidedly rum raisin character are what I'm getting the most of. It don't drink quite velvet - med-full body - not at all syrupy or leaving residual sugar sweetness (which I hoped it might just a tad more). Clean (good water) and slightly dry/bitter on the end. Mellow and soft as far as the alcohol as well - allowing you to soak in and relish the flavors.

Excellent, not perfect, but excellent. Exquisite depth in taste.

Traquair Jacobite from Traquair House Brewery Lld