Murphy's Irish Stout | Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Added by Todd on 12-17-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,501 |  Reviews: 1,018
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Poured with a two finger gray-brown head of mousse-like foam on a cascading body eventually turns blackish brown with a hint ruby highlights. Infinite retention and thick lace.

S - A lightly roasted aroma with notes of chocolate. Little else.

T - Watery malt with light chocolate and cheap coffee flavor. Finishes with acrid roast and dry chocolate as well as a hint of molasses.

M - Medium-thick body, low carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Not too bad. Much more flavor than Guinness with a nice contrast between the chocolate and roasted malt flavors. The style is inherently limited, but this is pretty drinkable.

3.2/5  rDev -14.7%

Had on tap at the new McDowd's in Kansas City.
Poured in a pint glass. Opaque black with a creamy, frothy 1/2" tan head that never quits. Looks exactly like an Irish stout should.
Not much going on in the smell, a little bit of roasty malt and some creaminess.
It's mildly roasty and bitter, with some hops in the finish. A hint of cocoa on the end.
Thin and watery texture.
Very smooth and easy to drink, though you're not particularly motivated to.
Not bad if you're just looking to knock back a few while watching a game at the pub or something, but pretty average tasting overall.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

16 oz nitro can into stein.

Pours pitch black with the signature dark brown nitro cascade during the pour, with a two finger, tiny-bubbled light-khaki head with excellent retention. Looks exactly like it's supposed to.

Nose is very roasty deep and soft, just a bit of mellow underlying char, a dusting of dry cocoa powder for depth.

Taste is a bit muted, as is to be expected of the nitro; muted acidity up front, roasty, bit more char initially that fades into a light dark-roasted coffee note. Finish has more roast, light acidity.

Mouthfeel is velvety smooth, with the sort of dull lushness common to nitro. Medium-light body with an illusory fullness from the nitro.

Drinkability is good; just a bit fuller and more rounded flavor than Guinness Draught, its major comparison point, with a nice abv and no real rough edges. Now, nitro wears on me personally, but it's also pretty typical for the style, so I didn't deduct from teh score for personal preference.

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured black with two fingers of tan head, good retention, and good lacing. Smelled very roasted, with hints of dry cocoa powder and sharp coffee bean. The taste confirmed the aroma, with a big roasted malt backdrop, accompanied by a dry subtle coffee/cocoa blend and a dry finish; a very good session stout, with a smooth, slick, nitro-enhanced body.

3.38/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours and looks just like guinness. Black in color with a long lasting and tasty beige head that will not go away until you rinse the glass. The taste in my opinion is very similar to guinness in that is taste of coffee and light hoppyness, and is very creamy feeling. Since my palate is not trained well i can not distinguish why i like Guinness more, but i do

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

A - pours pitch dark brown and settle to a dark black with one finger of cream head

S - Roaster barley and I pick up hints of molasses or smoke for some reason

T - very mellow with an acidic bite to it. The crazy amounts of malt really show

M - very heavy and thick. it's almost like drinking a cream

D - the weight and thickness make it fill me up incredibly quickly. this could be good or bad, depending on your stance on the subject.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

appearance: Pitch black with a full creamy tan head.
smell: Some roasty coffee. Nice but very subdued. I gave it a high mark as it does fit the style.
taste: Again, very subdued. Tempted to write bland but imho it's not that. It's subtle but very good. Again a high mark because it fits the style.
mouthfeel: light creamy with a silky feel.
drinkability: this is where this guy really shines. I find myself gulping this refreshing brew. I do believe this is the most quaffable brew I've ever had.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a good, reasonably-priced alternative to Guinness. I prefer the nitro can Murphy's, as it has a thicker, foamier head, which lasts a long time and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is nice, mild coffee and chocolate flavors. I find it slightly less bitter than Guinness Extra Stout, which is pretty similar.
Mouthfeel is superior, has a nice creaminess to it, seems more filling so a couple pints would be enough for me. Only cost me $7.99 for a four-pack of pint-cans, so this is a pretty good deal. Besides the thickness it isn't really strong or bitter, so I'm sure other drinkers could put away more than me.

4.16/5  rDev +10.9%

Got this one from my brother, who speaks very highly of it.

Appearance: A finger worth of creamy head thanks to the nitro can is good to see, but one and a half is my ideal number. Good retention though and is leaves respectable lacing. Also as black as night, as all good stouts should be.

Smell: Took quite a bit of warming to really come out, and is nice a simple. Well roasted barley dominates the nose, with also a smoked hickory smell far in the background.

Taste: Just an all around simple stout, just as the smell would have you believe. Starts with a very mild roasted malt taste that smoothly builds to a peak but is well reigned in by a sweet creaminess that keeps the bitterness to a minimum until a dusting of mild hops gives you a nice kiss goodbye. A bit simple perhaps, but solid all the same. I'd give it 4.25 but for a stout a bit more complexity could be there.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, which I suspect is the Nitro-can's doing. Nice creamy head, and excellent at slowly building the malt. The only thing stopping this from a perfect score is the hops in the aftertaste could be reigned in at bit more in favor of more dominant malt or sweeter creaminess. Even then though, I wouldn't call it unpleasant by any means.

Drinkability: I didn't think it was possible for a stout to be this smooth, as there were no issues getting this down. It's very rare you can find a stout that would serve you as well in the summer as the winter. I don't think I've encountered a stout that was this light and still flavorful.

Final Thoughts: How is this stuff not served where Guinness is available? I mean, the extra stout has it's place but this stuff simply trumps the draught in every aspect. Smoother, much better balanced and less alcohol content make this offering exceptional. No question, thumbs up. If you see it and haven't tried it, buy it.

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank this on tap at O'Connor's Pub in Doolin, Ireland on 10 July 2010. Appearance was an Irish stout work of art--nearly black with some traces of ruby red. A beautiful creamy white head crowned the top with a width of about one finger. The head basically coats the entire inside of the glass as the stout is consumed.

Smell was roasted/toasted malt notes with some sweetness thrown in. This stout has a nice sweetness to it that balances out the bitterness quite well. A terrific balance in this stout. Provides a creamy/velvety mouthfeel. I could drink these like the Energizer Bunny....

3.17/5  rDev -15.5%

16oz nitro can poured into a guinness pint glass.

Pours amazing - I love nitro cans, it's pitch black with a nice little light brown very fine and creamy nitro head. Nose is very light and roasty a bit of burnt malt.

Wow - can you say Bacon? This is very smokey and tastes a lot like bacon! very odd! Fairly tasty but I'd say this is a step below Guinness nitro cans. It's got a bit of a sweet malt on the finish but the bacon dominates.

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

I really, really like Guinness Extra Stout, so my cousin told me to try this as well. It's good, but not as good in my opinion.

16oz nitro can poured into a glass.

A - Pours brown, and turns black after it settles. Has a really good creamy tan head.

S - Chocolate sweetness, roasted malts, and coffee. It really fits the style.

T - Same as it smells, but a little stronger. Compared to Guinness it may have a slightly stronger flavor. I rated it a bit lower on flavor because it has a metallic flavor (iron). It's really unfortunate, because if it wasn't for the metal tinge to it, I would be much more inclined to drink it.

M - Very smooth and creamy. Though, I found Guinness to be creamier. In keeping with the style, it is also dry.

D - Despite the weird metal flavor in it, I still think it's a drinkable beer.

I probably won't buy this again, but I'm glad I have something to compare my Guinness Extra Stout to now.

2.29/5  rDev -38.9%

A- Great look. dark brown that fades into dark black at the finish of the pour. Nice creamy off white two finger head.

S- Coffee. roasted malt. Chocolate.

T- Too watery for me. Could have made everything alot stronger taste wise. I am a fan of IS's so too me this just does not do it.

M- Odd metal taste.

D- ditto on M.

3.66/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16oz. nitro-can into a tulip pint glass.

A - Typical Irish Stout theatrics; dark ruby color, descending bubbles, creamy head, the works.

S - Lots of malty sweetness with chocolate. The roast scent is very mild here.

T - Malt and chocolate with a short fade to roast, with a touch of bitterness.

M - Medium-thin with no noticeable carbonation. Creamy and smooth.

D - Probably the best of the nitrogenated Irish Stouts I've tried, but I'd still rather have an O'Hara's any day of the week.

2.82/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

At Culhanes jacksonville

Appearance: pitch black body with a thinnish, near white head. nie fluffy sticky lacing.

Smell: sublte aromas. not much goign on there.

Taste: roasted malt ans the typical dry irish stout mouthfeel. I haven;t had this in years. The metal finish was horrible.

Mouthfeel: Medium body.

Drinkability: I remember liking this mush more in my non ba days.

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a very milky dark brown with a head of 1.5cm (after I let it settle a bit) that's very creamy and isn't going anywhere. Smells of roast coffee and chocolate, very malty, not yeasty at all. Tastes very malty, with the same roast flavors the aroma was alluding to. There's a small amount of bitterness at the end, and not a lot of the nasty flavor I usually get from nitro-cans. The mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth and a little lighter than I expected. Very nice. A very drinkable beer, and I'm not really a fan of stouts, but this is a very tasty brew and not overpowering at all.

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%

Doing a 3-way shootout with Guinness, Murphy's, & Beamish tonight. Let's see who comes out on top.

16oz can, nitro widget, no freshness date.

Pours black with a one-finger+ light brown head, leaves some lacing but not much for a nitro beer, head holds well but falls apart toward the end. The darkest head of the 3, but comes in second on overall appearance to Guinness.

Aroma is pretty much non-existent. Very weak, but there is a light roasted quality, a little sweet smelling, a little milky. That nitro "smell" is present, of course. Comes in last in this department.

Flavor is much bigger than the aroma and features nice roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, milky, but a bit of an off vegetal note on the finish. Never noticed this before but maybe coming to light doing a direct comparison with others in the style. Lightly bitter, lightly sweet. Finishes last in the flavor category due to off taste on the finish.

Mouthfeel is great. I love nitro beers. So incredibly smooth and creamy. Better body than Guinness and equal to Beamish.

Overall an enjoyable beer on its own, good session candidate. However ends up last in this shootout, largely due to the finish.

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from the 500mL tall nitro-can into a pint glass.

A: With a slight gurgle from the widget as I cracked open the can, a bit of foam seeped from the top. The pour yielded a beautiful, almost pure black beer topped with a light tan, one finger thick layer of head that I can't really say was foam because it stuck around so damn long. A good looking beer.

S: Along with a slightly off smell, some milk chocolate is evident. There might be a burnt note in there that I'm perceiving as "off."

T: Initially somewhat watery, but thankfully in the midpalate it opens up, revealing milk chocolate and light milky coffee. Finishes with a slight roasted character. Overall soild, and more taste than some other nitro-canned beers IMO.

M: Creamy smooth, yet somewhat thin. Typical of the nitro-can, but not bad at all really.

D: At 4% and with a light yet creamy character, this is a very drinkable beer. It's also somewhat of an enigma, having such a light aroma for the taste, then being light bodied but creamy... I don't know I'll just say it's a pretty good beer.

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%

Nitro Can into Nonic

A: Very dark brown to black, solid nitro foam, 2 fingers deep, tan and creamy

S: a bit toasty, sweet, not really sure what to say other than it fits the style

T: lactic sweetness, dry toast, a bit of sudsy soap flavor but not totally in a bad way

M: oh so smooth and dry

D: this is a beer to spend a night with in a quiet pub.

2.01/5  rDev -46.4%

Really wanted a stout, but didn't have imperial money. Spotted this loose on a mix'n'match rack, haggled my way into a deal on a single (didn't want to get a pack in case I didn't like the first one). Fills mug a burnt brown that gets darker as the widget-influenced foam settles, very thick firm inch of head. As far as presentation goes, it's exactly what I expected for a basic stout, advertises itself OK. Let's see how accurate that is...

I have my answer: "not very". Was expecting creamy, got watery. Expected significant malt, got watered-down black coffee. Goes down easy, but isn't really giving me further reason for it to. No real distinction, and the only thing worse to me than a bad taste is no taste.

Congratulations, Murphy's. You've become my first drain pour.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Nitro can, 16 oz

Pours almost black, with a two finger, dense head of small off white bubbles. Lacing is ok, and I am such a sucker for that waterfall effect after the pour. This is my favorite style of beer.

Smells are muted, typical of the "big three" in Irish stouts. Some malty and roasted smell.

Taste is delicious, chocolately with a roasted almond coffee in the end. The tastes are a bit subdued, though. Less watery and a bit more potent than Guinness.

Mouthfeel is exceptional, velvet smooth and creamy.

Drinkability is obviously there, I can't put this beer down when I start drinking it, if I can't do that with an Irish stout, then it's not a good stout. Had this a day after a few guinnesses, Murphys is much more flavorful and creamy.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Nice dark colour with about 1 finger-worth of pale cream head.

S - Dark oak and wheat. Roasted barley and grains.

T - Smooth and creamy. Reminds me of Guinness but darker and with a hint of coffee.

M - Again very smooth - quite soft going down.

D - Very easy to drink due to the smoothness.

Obviously Guinness comparisons here are hard to avoid but I should say this is actually slightly more bitter than Guinness but with a richer taste. Would be hard to split the two - you'd have this one day and the other the next.

4.11/5  rDev +9.6%

I suppose it's difficult not to compare any Irish Dry Stout to Guinness. I'm a bit surprised that Murphy's isn't as big, if not, bigger than Guinness in the U.S. Side by side with Guinness Draught, Murphy's has an edge in taste and mouthfeel, therefore, making it my choice if I had to decide between the two.

Poured out of a nitro-can, a lovely cascading effect with the bubbles gently fades into a creamy, yet lightly stuccoed/pockmarked, finger width khaki-colored head. The corpus of the beer is a dark, charred brown with reddish highlights on the edges of the glass. Lacing is left behind in sheets that break into wavy bands.

Where Guinness has a soft bite of bitter roast up front in its flavor, the bitter and roast in Murphy's seem to be scaled back, ever so slightly, while a nice cocoa emerges and develops as the beer warms. The bitter and roast do actually poke through the cream head for a gently pleasing aroma.

When it comes to mouthfeel, I've always felt Guinness to be thin, watery. Murphy's is a bit thicker, bordering on medium-bodied and has a clean, less dry finish than its counterpart.

This has to be the best dry stout I've had out of the maybe 10-12 I've tried (I'm more of an Imperial Stout admirer). Definitely will go back for seconds.

4.58/5  rDev +22.1%

Ok this was my first time having this beer, and I was blown away by it. It was so smooth and creamy, and not just in appearance but in flavor, and mouthfeel. The color was dark and luxurious, with and nice firm long lasting head. The aroma was full of roasty goodness, and malt. I can definitely see why some people prefer this stout over a Guinness, its less astringent for one, but me I prefer both just because of their differences. If you can find this on tap try it, I have never had it from the can mind yah. The worst part about this beer was patiently waiting for the bartender to pour it.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Very dark brown with a thin, off-white head that remains.
Smell is lightly toasted malts, with a hint of smokiness to it. Hints of caramel and brown sugar as well.
Taste is more slightly smokey malts with some bitterness coming in after. Residual bitterness carries to the finish.
Mouthfeel is smooth and light, with a dry finish.
Easy enought to drink. Pretty good beer overall.

Murphy's Irish Stout from Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited