Murphy's Irish Stout | Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by Todd on 12-17-2000

Ratings: 2,432 |  Reviews: 1,005

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

At Gallaghers in Cork. Smooth, tastey.

3.46/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

Decanted into a conical pint glass; nitro can with a serial number but no date. Pours almost black with this effervescence, then clearing typical of this carbonation strategy; after clearing, thick, khaki head with long retention and lacing. Nose remarkable for smooth maltiness with almost a "meat drippings" note. Initial very sweet to the palate, with maltiness and black coffee to mocha throughout to the finish. Full mouthfeel. I "grew up" on stouts and tend to favor darker, fuller brews, in general, so I will acknowledge some bias here.

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Got it from Romania, can 0.5l

A - Tick, creamy with two finger foam. Black with low carbonation. Excellent.
S - Coffee malt, with malty aroma in all. Chocolate malt in the back.
T/M - Smooth, drinkable, balanced. Medium bitterness with coffee like aroma in the back, but nothing too much.

O - More then decent.

3.96/5  rDev +6.5%

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

Love Murphy's. Currently my favorite canned/bottled stout - and I'm a stout drinker. Smoother than Guinness, with a crazy thick head, smooth satisfying dark caramel/roasted grain flavours you'd expect from a good stout, but with a shorter finish and overall fantastic drinkability. Pairs well with any "darkish" foods where you'd drink a cabernet or similar wine - beef stew and steaks.. sausages... fatty dishes in general. Even works with Mexican for me (although I must admit I go the Negra Modella route when out for Fajitas...) My only complaint if there was one.. at first it seems a bit "watery" compared to Guinness - but that is also a plus in that it's much "less heavy" (not the same as "lighter"- I just can't find the right descriptor). A bit expensive around here - the best price I've found is $7-ish for 4 cans.

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

500 ml can, exp. 02/2017, in a Paulaner mug. Great beer! Very refreshing one, with nice earthy hops flavor.

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

L: Dark black with a creamy head typical of nitro stouts. Very similar to Guinness but did not seem to have quite the same "cascading" effect that Guinness does. The head sticks around to the last drop.

S: Not sure if it is the nitrogen or not, but this has a metallic smell, with some roasted malt and coffee.

T: Taste is pretty simple, but good. Roasted/burnt malt, some coffee, and bitter chocolate. Not much sweetness to speak of.

F: Light bodied and very drinkable due to the lightness of the body and low ABV. Velvety and creamy thanks to the nitrogen head.

O: Like Guinness, but a little better IMO. Great beer if you are looking to do a long night of drinking without getting hammered.

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.72/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.44/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.39/5  rDev +18%

My first foray into Irish Stouts was much like many other's, I tried Guinness, but I thought it was fairly boring. I was used to beers that decided the right path was to make their formulation a flavor bomb. After years of drinking beer, I feel that it was a great direction that would take the American beer scene in a better direction (away from the macro-brews), but my mouth has had enough. I decided to give Irish Stouts another try, and my choice was Murphy's.

Taste had enough going on that I wasn't bored. I wasn't looking for excitement, but I found it. While Guinness typically bores the sweet bejeezus out of me, Murphy's gave me something to notice, but was smooth enough for me to not even notice that I was drinking pint after pint! Luckily the ABV is fairly low so I didn't have to worry about my liver (as much as my beer gut).

Re-trying this style of beer made me wonder, "Was I bashing Guinness too hard?" I bought a 4-pack, and I came back with the re-affirming "NO!"

If you think Guinness is boring, but you want to give this style another try, try Murphy's!

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Black as night in appearance. Awesome looking, fluffy khaki colored head. Roasted Malt, some dark fruits and bitter dark chocolate. Smooth. Light bodied.

4.61/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really a beautiful beer off the pour. Dark, dark brown with cream color head that looks as soft as clouds. Bubbles gently float toward the top. Smells of chocolate and roasted barley. Tastes of coffee and barley with faint touches of cream. Just a touch of plum as it heats up. Nice coffeebean aftertaste. Super, super smooth mouthfeel. Overall, a phenomenal stout.

Murphy's Irish Stout from Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited