Murphy's Irish Stout | Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by Todd on 12-17-2000

Ratings: 2,452 |  Reviews: 1,010
2.66/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The nitro widget sure made this beer pour like the can was hooked to the brewery's tap.
Produced a dark brown almost black beer with a dense but short lived head.
As the head receded it left generous lacing-- I thought it a very satisfying look--
especially if I was at the pub quaffing draft!

But all that leads me to the rest of the story-- no real nose to speak of-- maybe it's my smeller. I inhaled and inhaled-- is there anybody there? If there is a nose from this stuff it's mighty small!

Flavor-- OK it's a "light" stout-- but if I was blindfolded I would not declare this a stout-- I probably would not claim this was a beer!

One thing I did like was the comparatively low ABV. Do commendable beers these days have to have "weld to your chair" ABV levels?

The mouthfeel was probably the highlight of my session with this beer. Had a velvety cordial embrace that made the beer feel almost seductive-- save the flavor-- which I could find almost no trace of- -try as I might.

Overall-- there are much better in this style If you're looking for a hearty beer don't be fooled by "Stout" on (in this case) the can..

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

3.21/5  rDev -13.7%

Had from a can poured into a nonic pint at Three Blind Mice in Mt. Clemens, Michigan. Price was $5.

Appearance: About what you’d expect from a can with a nitro widget... super creamy. Thick head. Pretty nice lacing. About black.

Smell: It... barely smells. Guinness has a faint chocolate and roasty note, and this smells like an ounce of chocolate in a bottle of water. There’s seriously almost nothing there.

Taste/feel: A very slight step up from Guinness. Guinness has a slightly more bitter flavor that I remember, and this is a touch sweeter. I feel like Guinness (strangely enough) manages to have MORE flavor, but I may prefer Murphy’s by a slight margin. Both have a thick and creamy mouthfeel.

Decent beer, but nothing compared to many other stouts I’ve had before.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Its better that Guinness but its just not my taste in stout.

Very fun to pour and look at but it just falls short on being flavorful.

Dark, creamy and sooo pretty. Keeps a head and looks like the best beer visually.

The aromatics are a typical stout but it seems to lack much of a strong taste

Very much drinkable and i wouldn't hesitate to recommen for the Guinness drinker however I prefer imperial stouts, double stouts, ect.

No bitter taste, very smooth.

The last chug doesn't leave an aftertaste but the foamy head follows all the way down.

Last thoughts: looks perfect and wont disappoint the beer drinker, however the stout lover may want to try a friends before purchase.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served from a nitro can into a pint glass. A very good, underrated dry Irish stout. Frankly, I'll drink this over Guinness any day of the week (sorry, fellow Irish New Englanders). The mouthfeel is creamy, quite smooth. Appearance is dark, a healthy white head with only minor lacing. Initial taste is sweet, with some coffee notes and a slight bitterness at the end. This is one of those old-school stouts that I could drink by a gallon.

3.98/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from Nitro-can into a pint tumbler

A: Completely opaque, deep rich black, beautiful cascading with a two and a half finger head that lasts with persistent lacing, ideal stout appearance
S: Sweet, roasted malt, a bit of a metallic edge
T: Roasted, chocolate and toffee? notes, quite palatable
M: Well balanced, a bit creamy, light

O: Distinct flavor with a high level of drinkability, which pairs nicely with the low ABV. Definitely something you can slug and readily available at a reasonable price. I am fan.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%