Murphy's Irish Red | Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

murphysbeers.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

1.29/5  rDev -59.4%

Appearance: Pours a copper color with a small, soapy head that fades quickly and leaves little lacing.

Aroma: An extremely faint smell of toasted malts with a stale musty odor.

Taste: The only detectable flavor is an astringent, metallic bite, especially in the finish. The aftertaste reminds me of Alka-Seltzer.

Palate: Over-carbonated with an extremely dry and puckering finish.

This is one the worst beers that I've ever had. A few sips and the rest went down the kitchen sink! I was shocked at how unpalatable this beer was.
(Funny, I see no mention of this beer at Murphy's website.)

1.48/5  rDev -53.5%

On tap at Leo's, Garden City.

I tried this one on draft this afternoon. It poured very red. In fact, the color was so red that I am convinced food coloring is an ingredient here. The head was a sudsy 2 fingers with little retention and little lacing.

The smell was non-existent. No hop aroma.

The taste started off as a sweet malt experience that literally lasted one second before disappearing completely. It was like swallowing water.

The mouthfeel was awful. Again, the lack of flavor made me feel like I was drinking a flavorless malted liquid. Not a good feeling.

All of the above made this beer one of the most undrinkable I have ever had. I am ashamed to admit that I actually walked out before finishing the pint, which I NEVER do.

I have never been so unpleasantly suprised by a beer.

1.58/5  rDev -50.3%

Sampled via a 16 oz pint at Frisco’s in Columbia.
Poured the required amber with no real head retention or lacing. A bit of floral hops on the nose. Slightly caramel hoppy, but it came off as being way too biscuity and harsh. Not very drinkable and surprisingly bad from the same folks that make the stout.

1.75/5  rDev -45%

1.75/5  rDev -45%

1.8/5  rDev -43.4%

Red to copper in color, Head retains during the pour but no more. Trace lacing, mild carbonation.

I've been on a Can kick lately. Lots of toasted character, hops are bitter, slightly astringent, enough so to kind of turn me off of this beer. Sweet up front then ultra bitter middle and gritty in the aftertaste. Grinding sharp hops clash with the sweetness in this brew, I think this is what made the mouthfeel and drinkability so poor.

Not for me man....

1.84/5  rDev -42.1%

Aroma screamed macro lager: light bread and metallic. Appearance is this beer's best feature: 2 finger somewhat off-white head on a reddish amber transparent body. Fizzy head dissipated quickly, but maintained a small (<1/2 finger) head throughout. Flavor was watery and much like a macro, lacking depth. No bitterness or sweetness. Palate was watery and went down like water. Not lingering and very forgettable. Metallic aftertaste and finish. Overpriced for what it is, lacking in depth and character. Not enjoyable on it's own. Probably will not have again. I was, however, impressed by the mild head retention throughout.

1.86/5  rDev -41.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No discernible date, just some character strings near the bottom of the bottle, and on the bottom of the back label.

Appearance - Pours two finger pearl white head with good stick and decent to good retention. Clear medium brown body.

Smell - Very skunky. Some mild, musky corn underneath.

Taste - Light bodied. Corn. Faint traces of metal. Some faint bitterness and maltiness.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied. Somewhat sticky. Head offers slight creaminess. Like solvency/astringency.

Overall Drinkability - I heavily suspect this is either an out of date or skunked bottle, but I can't be sure because there is no clear date. Lesson be learned, brewers!

1.88/5  rDev -40.9%

Medium gold color. Medium head. Aroma is slightly malty and corny. A light bodied Irish Ale. Light malt flavors that get overwhelmed by the corn adjunct. Not very hoppy. Not much flavor, and not much else to say. Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and very sweet.

Amber, reddish, transluscent pour with frothy offwhite head. Smell at first is a touch skunky, metallic, malt and a touch of yeast as it sits for a bit. Milt metallic malt taste at 1st, with a light bitterness throughout. I liked this a bit better as it warmed up a bit, actually, which I usually don't. This is fine, and drinkable, but I wouldn't miss it much. I thought Smithwicks was much better for the style.

A: Clear, reddish orange, no retention, no lacing, 2-finger head goes away in 10 seconds, bubbles stick to the side, so it looks over-carbonated like soda. Looks terrible.

S: Malt liquor with a little bit of hop backing. Smells just a little bit better than Coors Light.

T: Malt liquor taste, a little hop backing. Not anything else but alcohol, which is overpowering. Lack of flavor on swallow other than a slight bitter bready twinge. Not a good beer.

M: Over-carbonated (burns the tongue), a little syrupy, medium-bodied, non-astringent.

D: Terrible - I cannot finish at all. I'll never buy it again.

2.12/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.13/5  rDev -33%

This one is an enigma. I have the same bottle as pictured, and on the front label it has a blurb that says, " brewed to the original recipe since 1856". On the back label, it says, "Product of the Netherlands". The pour is remarkable. A nice copperish amber body with a dark ivory head that is long lasting, and deposits generous sheet and patch lacing down the glass.

Aroma begins the downhill slide. Skunky, eurohops that evoke medicinal, dirty, dishwater. Smells similar to a Heineken.

Mouthfeel is average, with light to medium body and high carbonation.

Taste resembles the aroma, with a bitter, euroskunk, nasty dishwater flavor. Malt presence is understated with a slight note of caramel. Some Heineken taste here.

An Irish red beer brewed in Holland. OK. The Dutch and Irish are the friendliest people I've met in my limited world travels, and I've had enjoyed superior beers in both countries. This pseudo-Irish red beer, that begins with such an exceptional appearance fails to impress, when it gets past its superior looks. Is this now brewed by Heineken, or what?

2.13/5  rDev -33%

Presentation: Poured from a 16oz can into an Imperial pint glass. Can states "Brewed to the original recipe since 1856." Except that now it is brewed in Holland by Heineken in Holland. Doesn' sound very original to me.

Appearance: Pours with a 1 inch foamy head, that falls very quickly to just a few islands of foam, maintained by ever-rising bubbles. The beer itself is, surprise, red, maybe more of a deep amber. Perfectly clear.

Smell: This smells like what I think of when I think of cheap beer. Sweet, but not malty. Hops are grassy and slightly skunky. The scary thing is that it is supposed to smell like this, you can't skunk a can.

Taste: Ugh. Sweet and smoky, almost a chemical-laden flavor. It tastes like burnt food.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation.

Drinkability: My first and last. I picked this up beause I heard a rumour it was not going to be made much longer. Personally, I don't think that would be much of a loss to the beer world.

look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Reddish, clear more amber low carb slight head easy drinking nothing special

Murphy's Irish Red from Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited