分 桃 (Fēn Táo) | Jester King Brewery

分 桃 (Fēn Táo)分 桃 (Fēn Táo)
4.36/5
Outstanding
分 桃 (Fēn Táo)分 桃 (Fēn Táo)

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A barrel-aged wild beer refermented with peaches from the Texas Hill Country in Fredericksburg.

#644

Reviews by tectactoe:
4.1/5  rDev -6%

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

I arrived at Jester King on Friday, September 12th, just in time to experience the release of the limited Fēn Táo, their sour barrel aged ale refermented with Fredericksburg peaches. Mmmmm... my mouth waters at the thought of those peaches. I bought my 1 500 mL bottle (that's the limit, sheee??) and proceeded to the bar to try it on draft, where it was served in a Jester King glass stemware with 8 oz of the sour peach liquid wafting within. Plus, $8 for 8 oz?! Oy... but I digress... With the sky overhead at the Texas farmland ranch bubbling with gray matter and brainstorming, I attempted to use the weather as an example of approaching this craft brew. Or, ya know, whatever.

The color reminded me of the inside of a yellow peach. Hazy, deep, juicy, ripe. Go ahead; get a ripe yellow peach, bite into it, and gaze. That's what I saw. The smell was slightly underwhelming, though I was still impressed. I came here expecting much more peach aroma, but I came to appreciate the light wafting sweet peach aroma, covered in quilted sour funk that we all have come to expect from Jester King.

The taste was delicate, yet amusing for my tongue. I was initially given sour ale on the forefront first and foremost, but then that delicious peach flavor, that ripe and tantalizing Texas Hill Country peach flavor, that was intricately melded with a saltiness,a salinity that helped accentuate the juiciness of peaches and funk. What was left after the Texas elixir flowed down my throat was a carbonation that was just right to cleanse my palate yet licking the inside of my mouth for more peachiness.

With that being said, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but after having the glass for about an hour, with some residue in it, I found the smell even better than before. Wondering if Fēn Táo was better warm, I purchased a smaller pour, albeit still expensive. After half an hour of just holding it and waiting... waiting... waiting... I decided to enjoy. It was only slightly better, though it was still in a chilled stage. I believe this beer best served at room temperature, and will drink my bottle with that in mind, along with other Jester King beers.

Likewise another reviewer mentioned, the Fēn Táo on tap was too cold to properly enjoy (although, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and I enjoyed both immediately and warmer). Gotta give it to Jester King: these barrel aged ales refermented with fruit are becoming immensely popular and very much worth trying. Fēn Táo ranks up there with Atrial Rubicite, and I stand by my word: phenomenal brew. They need to make this again.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap at the always enjoyable Jesterking Brewery. Served far too cold in Jesterking stemware. I based my reviews on two separate four ounce pours.

Appearance - Golden haze, really pleasant. Reminiscent of other peach sours available. Look like the flesh of a ripe hill country peach.

Aroma - When cold, not much aroma, slight funk. As it warms, it turns rather putrid. Very strong sulphur/ spent firework smell. Peaches are there if you search for them. While it's not a great smelling beer, it fits within the spectrum of sours/ funky beers.

Mouthfeel - Full and clean, carbonation is spot on.

Taste - Wonderful. If you can get past the aroma, the taste is vinous, tart, and has a nice bit of peach flavor. Not overpowering or sweet, leans more toward tart/ funk. Finishes vinous and dry.

Overall - A well-executed fruit beer by Jesterking. I struggle with the aroma but it doesn't detract from the overall beer.

4.81/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle into appropriate Fen Tao glassware.

Pours out a hazy light apricot color. Small white head which settles fast. Super hazy and nice golden apricot color. 4.5

Aroma is gorgeous! Loads of peach. More so than Fuzzy, V013, and 512. I mean you get this bright peachiness first and foremost and the rest is a slightly funky/minerally Jester King house funk. Fuzzy sported a lot of peach as well but had other stuff competing for attention like wine barrel, oak, and a strong lemony acidity. V013 was just funkier and complex. 512 lacked a pungent peach presence. This here is like peach juice mixed with lambic. Wonderful nose. 5

Flavors are actually more intense than I imagined they would be. Again, loads of peach on the flavor. And again, more so than Fuzzy, V013, and 512. You can tell the peaches were juicy and flavorful. Peach is the star of the show but then you also get a strong funkiness about as pungent as I've had in a Jester King beer. It's an earthy, fermenting fruit funkiness. Lovely pungent minerals and that saline house character balancing out the funk and fruitiness. 4.9

Mouthfeel is excellent with that light body and soft but prickly carbonation. Dry and tartness is wonderful as in most Jester King sours. Not aggressively sour or lactic. The sourness hits you up front smashing peach flavor on the tongue but finishes very mellow and smooth. 4.75

Overall a brilliant final product by Jester King. This is drinking amazing now, not sure how age will treat it. The peach is all a rave and it's so easy to drink, it's a shame it's a 500 ml, may need to open up another bottle! This probably takes the crown as far as peach sours goes for me. I love PecheNBrett but that's technically a saison. Has nowhere near the acidity level of an American Wild. So since I can't rank it against this, Fen Tao is the King of peach sours for me.

4.61/5  rDev +5.7%

8oz poured into a Jester King Wine glass from on-tap, the day of release. Reviewed a day later from notes.

Appearance: Pale, hazy goldenrod, with a fizzy, fluffy white head. Initially quite large but eventually fades. A relatively thick crown around the edge remains along with thick persistent lacing. Somewhat lighter in color than peach beers tend to be, most tend more toward an orange color.

Smell: Loads of dried peaches and apricots on the nose. Noticeable Jester King funk too, but not as strong as with some of their sours. Pretty much exactly what I expected from a peach sour from Jester King.

Taste: The tartness of this beer is almost entirely lactic in its composition. Vague acetic qualities too but not an unpleasant amount. More tartness than funkiness. Sour, but not mouth-puckering by any means. As always with Jester King the fruit is stronger in the nose than in the taste, but there's still plenty of peach here. As the beer warms the fruit quality grows even more. Typically in these fruited sours I can taste a prominent crackery malt on the finish, but in this one the peach just takes over. I don't mind that at all, I love peaches.

Mouthfeel: Very nice stuff here. Fizzy, effervescent, and very dry. Beautifully long linger here too. That peach lasts so long.

Overall: Another excellent offering in the fruited sour category from Jester King. I don't think it's my favorite of theirs, but that's an awfully high bar to clear considering they brew Atrial Rubicite, Montmorency v. Balaton, Biere de Merlot...but still, this is very nice, reminds me of a better Fantasia. Awesome stuff.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The peach character is mild and the fruit's acidity blends right into the beer. The sour bite is strong, with a dry peppery, oaky finish. Reminds me of Atrial Rubicite for the lemon tang around the fresh fruit.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Peach is very faint. Beer overall is excellent sour as JK usually delivers.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Drank on draft from brewery on release day.

From what I heard, the beer was aged in oak barrels for 1 year and then transferred to a foeder where it went through a refermentation with unwashed Texas hill country peaches for 2 months.

Has a wonderful warm orange slightly hazy color. Looks very much like an overly ripe hill country peach. The brewery served the beer too cold so I let it warm up as long as I could. The beer has a very unique smell, maybe that of "mouse taint" as discussed in the book American Sour Beers. I heard vomit/poop as well. Many people had no quarrels with the smell (maybe because it was served so cold). I got past the smell very quickly.

I do not have the beer in front of me as I write this, but from what I remember, the beer had a definite peachiness to it. Not a syrup peach, but a dry peach that went well with the effervescence. There was sourness present, as you would expect for a sour beer, but not Boon sourness, more of a smoother subtle Girardin sourness, probably my favorite Belgian sour producer.

I found the beer to be one of the most impressive fruit sour beers that I have ever had. Very vinous, very satisfying. Dry, clean for the style, peachy, very well balanced, very pleasant sour, little to no hop presence. Arguably one of the top beers from Jester King and I think they know it because it's $16 for a 16.9 oz bottle. Worth the price.

Edit: I tried another pour at the brewery on Sunday, the beer did not have the above mentioned "mouse taint" smell. The new smell was very peachy. The taste became more orange tang like and I noticed some american oak notes. Not sure why there was a difference.

4.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Deep straw/light amber colored. Thin sparkling carbonation. Smells like peach skins. Tastes like tart, sparkling, muddled peach skins. A little thinner and slightly more "green" than the de Garde Imperial Peach Bu. They smell almost exactly the same.

4.86/5  rDev +11.5%

Enjoyed a bottle of batch 2. The smell is funky with a little peach. Taste is not extremely fruit forward but definitely has plenty of peach. Mildly acidic with some nice funk. Taste finishes dry with a little oak. Love how well all the flavors meld together in this beer. This is definitely one of my favorite peach and jester king beers.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.14/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

4.27/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

3.52/5  rDev -19.3%

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

分 桃 (Fēn Táo) from Jester King Brewery