Commercial Suicide | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/86414

Added by champ103 on 10-16-2010

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Had a couple pints at Austin's Gingerman. The oak character immediately jumped out with a lovely vanilla and toasted wood. There's an almost sweet caramel and light cocoa bread. It's a pleasant surprise to find such a well-made dark mild. I wish this were available outside of Austin.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Tried on tap at Jester King opening, 29 Jan 2011. Served in a Jester King snifter.

Small light brown head quickly dissipates. Lightly carbonated. Clear brown color. Light malty aroma. Moderately malty sweet. Very slight astringency through the middle. Light body, minimal alcohol. Some light chocolate. Pretty mild overall.

Very easy to drink.

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. It was very dark for a mild, nearly translucent except at the edges, more brown than amber. 2 fingers of head and nice sheets of lace. Very nice aroma of toasted malts and light hops.

It tastes a bit yeasty to me, almost a homebrew quality to it, some fruity esters which are nice but otherwise a little simple, at least in my opinion. Not bad in any way but it didn't really make a strong impression on me.

3.95/5  rDev +7%

On cask at the Draught House Anniversary party.

The beer pours a basic brown color with a tan head. The aroma is chocolate and roasty malt. The flavor is more of the same, with a lot of milk chocolate with a little bit of roasted malt. I don't really get much oak-aged character, but there is a lot of flavor for a beer that is so low in alcohol. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice beer that is full flavored, even if it is less than 4 percent ABV.

3.95/5  rDev +7%

This is my first official beer review. Cheers!

Had this (not for the first time) on tap at Black Sheep Lodge.

A: Dark and Earthy; lively half-inch head, fades to hot-chocolate, a few stray bubbles finding their way to the top. Dark body but not thick, with a hint of ruby at the base of the glass.

S: Not sure if this was oak barrel aged or not, but it gives this roasted coffee meets smoked brisket aroma, a dark toasted malt with a slim hop character. Absolutely delicious by my standards, and reminds me of what I imagine an old British Mild would smell like served at cellar temp (in a smoke-free establishment, of course).

T: This is by no means a strongly-flavored beer; it is mellow, malty, and comes across as a bit mild...Jester's not trying to fool anybody with this one! Complements the taste-buds with the same oak aged quality, like liquid BBQ with a hint of chocolate in the sauce.

M: Toasty layer of froth puts some tingle on the first few sips, but rolls over the tongue without a fight.

D: Aptly named, as I could drink a lot of this beer...often...
(Would do well in bottles imho)

3.89/5  rDev +5.4%

First off, if you dont like session beers or beers of the mild category, you'll probably dislike or even hate this one.

Second, big thanks to lnashsig for this one plus multiple others of Jester King's newer releases

A - Heed the carbonation warnings on this one, definitely a gusher. Wow. Dark brown/chestnut color with large off white head, few white particulates in the bottom

S - Whoa. Huge smell for a mild on this one. Bit coffee, chocolate notes, bready and toasted smells come through nicely, get the oak as well

T - Follows the nose, but much less taste comparatively. A bit dissapointed at first. I was about halfway through my second pint before my palate adjusted.

Oats,chocolate, bit of spices, oak. Found the last part of the bottle to be the tastiest. Overall, quite nice actually.

M - Pretty carbonated overall, not good or bad, just the facts. Slightly dry on the finish.

Overall this beer could be the start of my conversion to liking session beers. Not sure though because the beers I session are just your normal awsome beers but I just drink alot, haha, so we'll have to see.

I can definitely appreciate this beer for what it is. If the taste wasn't "mild" then I think this beer would be a borderline hype homerun. Its the type though thats a love or hate though, which is evident from the huge pDEV.

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

I’ve tried this on tap at the brewery and in Austin, and on cask once too. In each instance I felt like I was getting something special—a low abv but super flavorful beer that challenged expectations and Texan palates. Drinkin’ in the Sunbelt was a perennial favorite this summer, and I have two bottles right now of Black Metal cellared away, if that’s any hint as to how I feel about beers from Jester King.

But, bottled, I’m still undecided about how I feel about Commercial Suicide. First thing I noticed is that it’s a foam monster. Miles and miles of foam that topped and then overflowed my nonic pint glass, with only a few fingers of beer at the base. And I was careful to pour. Too much yeast? Too much agitation? Bottle-conditioning gone wild? Not sure, although I will note that after all the dust, er, foam settled and I was able to achieve a proper pint –the foam dies down quickly, with barely a trace left—there sat a thin yet noticeable layer of particulate or sediment at the bottom of my glass.

The beer itself is a ruddy, dark burgundy-brown. Almost wine like, which is how I remember it on cask. (If it wasn’t for so much effervescence!) There’s an interesting and complex nose on this that’s hard to pin down. I’d go back to the wine comparisons, for it reminds me in some ways of a darkly intense grape juice concentrate. Not syrupy, sappy, sweet… but more like an intense concentrate of stone fruits and cabernet reduction. On the palate, again, I get a lot of bubbly, and it’s almost distracting me from the intense, interesting flavor. Tannic, wine-like, and unlike any mild I’ve ever tried in my life thus far. Thin bodied but with a lingering finish. I wouldn’t mind this warming, and I wouldn’t complain if it went flat. In fact, I’d be willing to drop quotations around warming and flat in the previous sentence and say that this is best served on hand pump. Or, at the very least, suggest you let it warm, and swirl it so some of the bubbles die down. (Add half a letter grade to my score if you see it that way.) But I have a feeling bottled is how it’s going to reach folks, and until their next seasonal comes to town I’ll be happy a happy man. As soon as I clean up the mess from the foam run-off.

3.84/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to Josh (HopsSchnapps) for this bottle!

As others have mentioned, carbonation is an issue here. Don't rush it, and give a couple inches of extra head space on the first pour in case the head wants to get all uppity. (and it will) Subsequent pours are much more manageable.

After the 4 finger head subsides mostly, the remainder sticks around, which is a nice thing. Very dark brown liquid, with a touch of lighter shades around the edges.

There's a rich maltiness to the aroma, with a soft, but droning chocolate note and bold nuttiness.

Taste is similar in rich malt forwardness. The chocolate mostly takes a back seat to a more nutty taste. It's good though.

Naturally, the carbonation is a bit stingy. That aside though, it's light on the palate.

Overall, it's very nice. You definitely have to work for it more with the carbonation issues, but it's still worth it. I will say that I'd be surprised if the ABV is actually 3.3% for these bum bottles.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

The 750 mL bottle had no date. The body was a medium dark brown/cola colored with a very light tan head. The body was clear and the thin head sizzled out quickly.

The smell was nutty. Dried apricots and raisins.

The taste was also nutty. Bone-dry with a stale fruitiness. More flavor than expected for the low ABV.

The body was medium to thin.

This is not something I would seek out again.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%

750 mL bottle is waaay overcarbed, poured quick to avoid gushing and about 1/4 beer and 3/4 foam. The head is pretty if you have the patience to let it sit, fades slow and forms massive mesas and canyons in the glass.

Nose is quite nice...toasted nuts are accentuated nicely by a steady presence of oak. Malts are plenty characterful with some roast and even some chocolate.

Tastes of coconut and toast from the wood, nice barrel presence. Lots of malt presence for the low ABV. The carbonation is a big letdown though. I was plenty skeptical of this beer, especially upon purchasing a $7 bottle of 3.3% alcohol beer with known carbonation issues. In the end though, it won me over as the flavors are really nice and enjoyable. Now lets fix the carbonation issues, slash the price about 75% and put it in 12-packs...THEN we have ourselves a serious session beer!

Commercial Suicide from Jester King Brewery