Commercial Suicide | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/86414

Added by champ103 on 10-16-2010

20%

3.32/5  rDev -6.5%

Big thanks to miikezombie for sending this in an overly generous thank you box.
A- Pours a fairly dark murky brown with a slight red tint. I was aware of the high carbonation reports so I poured this beer as gentle as possible. It still built the most massive light tan bubbly head I have ever seen, truly gargantuan, leaving some lacing on the glass.
S- Quite a smokey nose on this beer with some burnt sugar, cinnamon and some bready yeast.
T- The taste follows the nose with a strong smokiness as in Marlboro Red's, very roasty with a bit of spiciness.
M- Lighter bodied brew with a bit too much carbonation making it slightly tougher to drink.
O- This is a pretty polarizing beer, I can definitely find enjoyable qualities that I'm sure many would enjoy. A bit over carbed which kind of throws things off for me.
Thanks Glen.

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

Looks like the first bottle review... Rated by Style.
bottle from a local shop...
Opens with a loud pop, and there is yeast on the cap, cant say I have ever seen yeast on the cap of a brew before... Pours with, well, it pours with no liquid. I have no idea what color this is, as all I see in my entire glass is an off white head. This makes me wonder if it is still the 3.6% abv as the label says... hard to get flavor with such a mild abv, I am guessing it still fermented quite a bit in the bottle. It had to, to produce so much head, i hope these dont start to explode.
As it slowly settles, and I am talking 10 minutes later, it is a dark amber color, now with a nice ice cream bobble top.
Nose is yeaty, cinnamon, spicy, like it has rye in it... with a bit of roasted.
taste is roasted caramel on the front, followed by a tonic water type finish. hint of a bitter aftertaste. Actually the aftertaste is smokey... like I just smoked a cigarette... odd.
mouthfeel is thin, WAY over carbonated, but dont really expect much from this style.
Overall this is a good English Dark Mild, but not really a styleI am all that impressed with. Great for the style, hence the high score, but just a boring beer. Lost points on the carbonation though.

3.46/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -2.3%

It looks great and smells great. but with an after taste similar to what an ashtray smells like. Weird. Brown with a dirty tan colored head. Bottle conditioned? Smells sweet and inviting. A few hoppy floral notes, but nothing I could pinpoint with consistency. Low booze, which is exactly what I want for the style. Felt firmer on the palate than I expected.

Seriously - ashtray. It took me a while to pin point it, but sure enough it's what I detected. But for some freakish reason, I didn't find it a flaw. Must have been all those cigarettes back int he day, and how delightful they tasted. BTW- it was only in the taste and not the smell. Was this Jester King's intent? If so, maybe ashtray is the next gauze.

3.48/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev -2%

Growler poured into a tulip... A medium brown pour, but much much lighter on the fringes, mostly clear. A surprising amount of of head, tan, good retention and lacing... The aroma is very strong for a mild and pretty decent, some toasted grain notes, light hops on the finish. Surprised... The taste just doesn't do it for me. A weird light quad character with some faint dark fruits, yeast out of nowhere, boring light hops. Blah... The mouthfeel is way too light, very watery... This is easy to drink but boring to me. Not my favorite style so I can't hate too much, but I'd pass on this in the future.

Commercial Suicide from Jester King Brewery