Commercial Suicide | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/86414

Added by champ103 on 10-16-2010

20%

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

A - Wow. A slow gentle pour generates 4 fingers of light tan head. A hazy dark chestnut colored body.

S - Cocoa and coffee, toasted wheat bread crust, oak, vanilla, and caramel.

T - Follows the nose, dark cocoa, roasted coffee beans, dried oats, caramel rides underneath. Some acidity around the edges. Bitter dark cocoa holds strong and becomes the dominate flavor when warm. Finishes dry.

M - Active carbonation. The carbonation really calms down as the beer sets creating a light to medium creamy body.

Loads of bold flavors packed into this 3.30 ABV! This is my kind of session beer. The cocoa and oats were the main flavors and melded together very well.

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

Bottle courtesy of lnashsig, Cheers Lee!

Gentle and careful pour produces a massive antique white head. This is in no way a gusher, just very foamy. The head is made up of big bubbles, forming a meringue like rockiness atop. The head works its way back ever so slowly leaving spotty lacing clinging to the walls of the glass. The body is a deep auburn color though there is a decent amount of color variation ranging from browns to reds.

The nose is brilliant for such a small beer. Nutty brown bread and coffee aromas dominate up front. A bit of caramel sweetness lingers behind. Not picking up much hop presence, which is fine as the warm maltiness is more than capable of carrying the nose.

The flavor delivers the same characteristics that were picked up by the nose. The flavor starts out a bit sweeter than expected, the caramel flavor really takes the forefront. As the beer reaches the midpalate the warm and roasted malt flavors really take hold. Brown bread, slight coffee and subtle cocoa powder flavors round things out on the back of the tongue. Again, there is not much in the way of hops. There may be a soft grassy flavor but it just does not stand out.

Light bodied beer with very lively carbonation. The carbonation in this beer is very interesting. I appreciate the level of carbonation but this is a beer I would love to have from a hand pull. Either way the carbonation works for this beer. The finish is rather dry and pleasant.

I am a fan of this beer. When it comes to true session beers it can be difficult to find one that can deliver the flavor and complexity needed to keep ones attention, Jester king has done just that. The flavors are layered perfectly and mesh very well. I could easily see myself sitting down to several glasses of this one. One worth seeking out.

2.06/5  rDev -42%

A- Looked like a mild roasted black coffee

S- Smokey and sweet but an emphasis on smokey

T- Man, this was not good. I felt like I was drinking candle wax or an ash tray. It did have some good malt qualities that made the beer a TAD complex but that ash tray taste was way over powering.

Food Pairing- Smoked Fish

2.84/5  rDev -20%

What the heck?

I poured the beer slowly, and the foam was frothing all the way to the top of the stein! What? I had to wait 20 minutes before the foam to subside. It didn't look that appetizing, because I figured it is a sign of extreme over-carbonation....

Smell? Not that impressive. It just is appropriate and it does have hint of floral scents, but it does not reflect that much on the taste.

Taste is all right. I could taste the oak coming through along with some roasting flavor profile being mostly dominant. It tasted like a nutty brown ale to me.

Mouthfeel's terrible. I felt like I was drinking a soda that happens to have beer characteristics. The carbonation really overpowers your sense.

I think this may be the only beer that I really don't like coming from Jester King. The potential of tasting good is there, and I can see/taste it. It just is a weak beer as of now. If they prove to have worked on improving this beer, then I will try it again.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.47/5  rDev -2.3%

It looks great and smells great. but with an after taste similar to what an ashtray smells like. Weird. Brown with a dirty tan colored head. Bottle conditioned? Smells sweet and inviting. A few hoppy floral notes, but nothing I could pinpoint with consistency. Low booze, which is exactly what I want for the style. Felt firmer on the palate than I expected.

Seriously - ashtray. It took me a while to pin point it, but sure enough it's what I detected. But for some freakish reason, I didn't find it a flaw. Must have been all those cigarettes back int he day, and how delightful they tasted. BTW- it was only in the taste and not the smell. Was this Jester King's intent? If so, maybe ashtray is the next gauze.

Commercial Suicide from Jester King Brewery