Commercial Suicide | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/86414

Added by champ103 on 10-16-2010

Liked:
3.55/5
20%
Alströms:

4.02/5  rDev +13.2%

I had this beer on tap at the Black Star Coop in Austin, TX. I had somehow gone a month without even hearing about this new Austin brewery and it is a shame. I have not had an abundance of Dark Mild Ales so forgive my ignorance.

A- poured a dark amber/brown, barely visible light shined through, decent brown head to start but not the best retention

S- nice balance of smells, dark chocolate and coffee, nutty

T- again well balanced, slightly bitter, can taste the oak but not overpowering, toasty, smooth dark chocolate

M- a little thin, but very smooth

D- great drinkability as the style predicts, great flavor, cannot get much better than this for such a flavorful ale

I am very happy to have a new brewery in Austin and as my first beer of theirs has been drank and was delicious, I am looking quite forward to supporting it!

This will be my second Jester King beer. Next will be their Black Metal. I really appreciate the styles they chose to brew and this English Dark Mild Ale is no exception. Time to dive in.

I'm sure every single other review has mentioned this, but WATCH OUT FOR THE HEAD!!! It's insane. I poured out a tiny bit, noticed that the head develops very fast, and then decided to pour it very carefully and slowly into my Duvel glass. That didn't help at all. The head grew four fingers thick, a creamy off-white color, and even as it passed the top of the glass, it still built up. I had to wait several minutes for the head to be relatively small and to pour more beer in. I'd guess it took me about 30 minutes to get most of the beer into my glass. Ok, enough about the insane head. The beer is very opaque and the darkest of brown. Up to the light it has a lighter brown-ruby color. Obviously, the personality is in the head.

Mmm...I love this smell. Roasty, malty sweet, a bit of coffee, cereals, sweet raisins, and nutty. This is one of those beers that makes you hungry smelling it. Cinnamon spice and perhaps some rye as well.

I may be wrong but I do not believe I've had an English Dark Strong Ale before but I'm really liking what Jester King has here. It's almost like a porter in its flavors but I think I may prefer this over most every porter I've had. This is very roasty. Roasted barley, toasted biscuit, coffee lingers toward the end, and there is a nutty bitterness in it too that adds complexity. Nutty like Texas pecans. Caramel and raisiny sweetness is there but is lesser to the other flavors. I'm impressed.

While the body is on the lighter side, I don't find it to be watery, not too thin. Perhaps it has too much carbonation but it doesn't put me off. This is very drinkable.

Another fantastic beer from Jester King. They're two for two with me so far and I can't wait to try more of their beers. A lot of character with the head, some interesting and complex smells and flavors, and an overall an impressive brew.

Pours dark but tastes pretty good.Really nice table beer.

Commercial Suicide from Jester King Brewery