Commercial Suicide | Jester King Brewery

Commercial SuicideCommercial Suicide

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States | website

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/86414

Added by champ103 on 10-16-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 48 | Ratings: 160
3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Ginger Man in Austin.

The appearance is a dark reddish brown with a small off-white head. Its` smell has malt, prunes, not bad. As the style indicates, the taste is mild and easy going, maybe too much so. There are some roasted malts and nuts. MF light-medium with a smooth texture. An interesting beer to include in a flight or one pint.

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance-Nice black body, when held up to light some red sneaks through. 1 inch mocha head. Some nice lacing on the glass all the way until the final sip.

Smell-Roasted, Oaky Malts and big time espresso aroma. Big aroma for a 3.3% beer

Taste-Similar to smell and still impressed. Alot of flavor. Lots of coffee and lots of malt all punched in to this light ABV beer. A little bit too much coffee that needed a little more sweetness to my liking. I got some dark chocolate towards the finish. Nonetheless a lot of flavor.

Mouthfeel-Smooth drinking beer that is very easy to drink. Hence the ABV.

Overall-This beer was unique and something different. I enjoyed this beer, but not ever sessionable. I could see myself ordering one ever now and again.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a frosted (I know!) goblet at Hopdoddy. I had to let it warm up a lot in order to accurately judge it. From now on I ask them for not frozen glasses.

Appearance: Black with red hues when held up to the light. Kind of hard to see since it was dark in the restaurant. There was a white head but it faded quickly due to the glass.

Aroma: Initially there was really nothing, so I waited and used my hands to warm up the glass. Slowly but surely as the beer warmed up I could begin to smell it. At first there were roasty notes that appeared, and then soon after I could distinguish that there were nice chocolate and caramel notes. Later as the beer warmed up even more I could make out vanilla. Very complex from such a low ABV.

Taste: Malty and sweet, with roasted notes and a hint of oak. Again very flavorful for such a low ABV beer.
Mouthfeel: Moderately carbonated and easy to drink. It was not super light bodied like beers of low alcohol tend to be.

Overall: Excellent beer from Jester King. This could easily be drunk all night and you would enjoy the experience too. They showed that big things can come in small packages. I look forward to more Jester King offerings.

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%

A pint at Second in Austin.

Dark brown, with some light passing through. No head a little lace. Roasted malt aroma with a similar taste. A strong amount of carbonation and medium body. If I wasn't told, I would have thought I was drinking a porter. Malty and somewhat bittersweet. Drinks much bigger than the 3.3% ABV. Makes an excellent session beer.

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Growler poured into a tulip... A medium brown pour, but much much lighter on the fringes, mostly clear. A surprising amount of of head, tan, good retention and lacing... The aroma is very strong for a mild and pretty decent, some toasted grain notes, light hops on the finish. Surprised... The taste just doesn't do it for me. A weird light quad character with some faint dark fruits, yeast out of nowhere, boring light hops. Blah... The mouthfeel is way too light, very watery... This is easy to drink but boring to me. Not my favorite style so I can't hate too much, but I'd pass on this in the future.

4.28/5  rDev +16%

Finally getting to review this, had it at opal devines

Black in color, upon closer inspection it's actually a dark reddish brown. Thin head, good retention, thin ring of bubbles is constantly around the edge of the beer.

Chocolate and roasted malts come through pretty well, that's about all I could get though.

Chocolate flavor and a bit of roasted bitterness, metallic undertone that works well and some light coffee notes, the flavors are very nice and come through strongly. You would never expect this to be a dark mild, drinks more like a porter.

Light in body, light in carbonation and smooth as well. Super drinkable and abv just helps it case on this. Found a session beer for me and I'll being getting kegs of this when i have the space!

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Had a couple pints at Austin's Gingerman. The oak character immediately jumped out with a lovely vanilla and toasted wood. There's an almost sweet caramel and light cocoa bread. It's a pleasant surprise to find such a well-made dark mild. I wish this were available outside of Austin.

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. It was very dark for a mild, nearly translucent except at the edges, more brown than amber. 2 fingers of head and nice sheets of lace. Very nice aroma of toasted malts and light hops.

It tastes a bit yeasty to me, almost a homebrew quality to it, some fruity esters which are nice but otherwise a little simple, at least in my opinion. Not bad in any way but it didn't really make a strong impression on me.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

@ The Ginger Man in Austin

A - Pours dark brown/amber into the pint glass with almost two fingers of tan head, nice retention and lacing.

S - Oak, roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, toffee sweetness.

T - So much flavor for such a small beer is incredible. Deep oak notes, roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, slight earthiness to it, as it washes off the palate it is a little bitter and there are mild dark fruit tones.

M - Medium, smooth and creamy.

D - This beer is crazy drinkable and delicious. Low ABV makes it a beer you can enjoy anytime, very sessionable!

4.77/5  rDev +29.3%

huge thanks to ckeegan for getting me this one. Growler poured into several pint glasses this one was thoroughly enjoyed last night.

Pours out a nice medium brown color, with a small tannish head that fades quickly and leaves a light, dark tea color in the glass.

aroma is as earthy as it can get. deep malty nose, hints of leather, oak, nice touches of roasty malts and earthy grains. really just wonderfully balanced and smooth, nothing heavy here at all and this carries over perfectly into the flavor which was nothing short of stellar. smooth, creamy and tea like flavors dominate with hints of oak, earthy and muted hops and a deep resonated earthy grain that really shows itself off. could drink this one seriously all day long.

overall a very nice example of the style and a seriously high quality ale. I would have no trouble downing this one all day long.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Tried on tap at Jester King opening, 29 Jan 2011. Served in a Jester King snifter.

Small light brown head quickly dissipates. Lightly carbonated. Clear brown color. Light malty aroma. Moderately malty sweet. Very slight astringency through the middle. Light body, minimal alcohol. Some light chocolate. Pretty mild overall.

Very easy to drink.

3.95/5  rDev +7%

This is my first official beer review. Cheers!

Had this (not for the first time) on tap at Black Sheep Lodge.

A: Dark and Earthy; lively half-inch head, fades to hot-chocolate, a few stray bubbles finding their way to the top. Dark body but not thick, with a hint of ruby at the base of the glass.

S: Not sure if this was oak barrel aged or not, but it gives this roasted coffee meets smoked brisket aroma, a dark toasted malt with a slim hop character. Absolutely delicious by my standards, and reminds me of what I imagine an old British Mild would smell like served at cellar temp (in a smoke-free establishment, of course).

T: This is by no means a strongly-flavored beer; it is mellow, malty, and comes across as a bit mild...Jester's not trying to fool anybody with this one! Complements the taste-buds with the same oak aged quality, like liquid BBQ with a hint of chocolate in the sauce.

M: Toasty layer of froth puts some tingle on the first few sips, but rolls over the tongue without a fight.

D: Aptly named, as I could drink a lot of this beer...often...
(Would do well in bottles imho)

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Draught House in Austin:

A - fairly opaque brown

S - coffee, chocolate, caramel, dark bread. Pleasant nose

T - More coffee, chocolate, caramel

M/D - medium thin mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, extremely drinkable. Nice flavor profile for such a small beer.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Draughthouse.

Commercial Suicide pours with an attractive mahogany-amber that throws some copper highlights on its edges. The head dissipates rather quickly to a small ring of bubbles. Somewhat surprisingly, the aroma still kicks some serious ass for a Mild. Big notes of coffee and roasted chestnuts with a bit of earthy hops and dark fruit in the background.

The flavor picks up where the aroma left off, amping up the fruit as plum and raisin make their way onto the palate. The biggest notes come from the malts, though; it's surprising just how much flavor Commercial Suicide packs into 3%. Toffee, caramel, toasted grain, and nuttiness. The mouthfeel is appropriately light, and the crisp, well-carbonated body finishes clean, but still leaves a hint of the malt profile to keep the next sip in anticipation. All in all, a superb version of the English Mild style that would both open and close a night of craft beer drinking with ease...definitely something I will be returning to, and often!

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Served on tap at the Draught House in a standard pint glass. I've a had it a few times here and thought I should finally review.

The beer pours a clear, thin black that turns to red by the end of the glass. I think this sample was under carbonated, so I got pretty much no head. When the carbonation has been upped, I've been able to see a decent head on this this. Seems like they need to work on that issue.

Since the beer came out a bit flat this time, I got little aroma. From what I've had before, the nose comes mostly from the roasted malts. Almost like a baby porter.

The taste is dominated by the flavors from the black malts. Roasty and dark, like a mini porter. However, since it's occasionally flat, this can come across as watery and taste like steeped grains. This also makes it somewhat one dimensional. When I've had better carbonation (like when I had the fantatic whiskey barrel version at Billy's on Burnet), the flavors have been much fuller and more pleasing. The whiskey barrel version also gave it another subtle dimension that placed it far above the standard version. Drinking this makes me miss the whiskey barrel one...

The mouthfeel is distinctly thin and watery. Wish it was more carbonated. Then I could focus on this being a good session beer instead of a watered down version of something that could be really good. That being said, this is distinctly sessionable and I could be happy putting down a pitcher of this over a long sitting.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

I had this beer on tap at the Black Star Coop in Austin, TX. I had somehow gone a month without even hearing about this new Austin brewery and it is a shame. I have not had an abundance of Dark Mild Ales so forgive my ignorance.

A- poured a dark amber/brown, barely visible light shined through, decent brown head to start but not the best retention

S- nice balance of smells, dark chocolate and coffee, nutty

T- again well balanced, slightly bitter, can taste the oak but not overpowering, toasty, smooth dark chocolate

M- a little thin, but very smooth

D- great drinkability as the style predicts, great flavor, cannot get much better than this for such a flavorful ale

I am very happy to have a new brewery in Austin and as my first beer of theirs has been drank and was delicious, I am looking quite forward to supporting it!

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Arrives with a tea brown color that was barely topped by any foam; no lace

Smell: Brown bread and a hint of fruit

Taste: The brown bread flavor up front quickly takes on an oaky character, with an earthy bitterness joining by mid-palate; after the swallow, a fruity complexity builds along with the oaky flavor through the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation

Drinkability: Love the English style here in a low abv beer that is packed with flavor; the oak makes all the difference

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. I have been reading about this Austin brewery online and was excited to get a chance to try their beer.

A - Beer had a dark, cloudy brown color that was almost translucent at the edges. Little to no head on the pint I had.

S - I definitely got an oaky, roasted smell from the beer with little to no alcohol due to the style.

T - The roasted smell continued into the taste along with some spice or green flavors. I am not sure if this comes from the barrel or from the ingredients but I like it. Clean finish, little to no hop profile for me.

M - The mouthfeel was very thin and watery and I think this is to style.

D - Easy to drink; can't wait to get a couple of cold bottles of this for hot days at the beach this summer. Could have easily had several more and been comfortable.

I liked this beer for what it is, a true sessional beer that you can drink at leisure due to its low ABV. I hope we get the bottled product in Houston by next summer.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

Rocking mild I wish more breweries would do a mild.

L: light brown with a small head

S: nice malty aromas, caramel, toffey, toasty bread

T: small bittering up front then the maltiness comes in

M: very light, watery smooth not too stickey for a mild

D: this is a great session beer with great flavor

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Got it on tap at The Flying Saucer Houston

A - Dark Brown with a light brown head.

S - Pleasant toasty aromas. Hints of dark chocolate, and coffee. None of them are over powering which is nice. Sometimes coffee aroma comes through too strong, but not in this one.

T - Great taste. Nice roasted malt flavors. Very well balanced and easy drinking.

M - I wish it had more body to it, but that is really my only complaint. I understand that it might not have been as balanced if it had more body.

D - I can see myself drinking this all year round. It is a smooth, well balanced beer.

This was my first Jester King beer, and I have to say I am pleased. I was looking forward to this opening for a long time and they didn't disappoint. I look forward to more

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

On tap at The Draught House.

A - Dark brown with a thin, light brown head. Spotty lacing left on the glass. Dark ruby highlights when held up to light.

S - Strong roasted malt aromas with hints of dark chocolate and roasted coffee beans. Coffee remains strong throughout and there are hints of sweet bread as well.

T - Lightly bitter roasted malts initially with tastes of coffee and just a bit of bitter chocolate. A light oakiness comes through towards the end of the drink. Strong maltiness throughout the beer.

M/D - Light bodied with a crisp moouthfeel and good carbonation. Ridiculously easy drinking and an excellent session beer. Yes, a real American session beer. I love it.

3.95/5  rDev +7%

On cask at the Draught House Anniversary party.

The beer pours a basic brown color with a tan head. The aroma is chocolate and roasty malt. The flavor is more of the same, with a lot of milk chocolate with a little bit of roasted malt. I don't really get much oak-aged character, but there is a lot of flavor for a beer that is so low in alcohol. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice beer that is full flavored, even if it is less than 4 percent ABV.

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

On Cask at the Anvil. Part of their Gravity Cask 2010 for the Houston Beer Week. I had heard that this was completely flat, though it was not in the least when Anvil released it on 10/15/10.

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color. At first a two finger bubbly, tan head rises. The foam recedes in a minute, with light lace.
S: Big toasted malt up front and dominate. Some chocolate and toffee as well. Just a wonderful malt aroma that is perfect for the style.
T: Again there is a huge toasted malt flavor that is excellent. Chocolate, toffee, toasted grains with some bread/biscuit flavors. Just an excellent clean malt bill. I love this.
M/D: A light to medium body. Just a bit light. Though I would not say this is under carbonated at all, it is lacking a bit here. So easy, and enjoyable to drink. I can drink this all day, and an amazing session beer.

I kept coming back to this again and again. Overall an amazing beer, and a real treat to see a brewery do a traditional session beer, on cask no less. Overall an incredibly well made Dark Mild, and if anyone wants to experience a true session beer in the UK style, this is it. Highly recommended.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last