Wytchmaker Rye IPA | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

This version of Wytchmaker has been permanently supplanted by the farmhouse version - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/74714

Added by ckeegan04 on 10-27-2010

3.9

Farmhouse Rye IPA. Wild yeast native to our land in the Texas Hill Country lend a sense of place to this earthy, floral farmhouse rye beer. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and 100% naturally conditioned.

The culprit behind the Salem Witch Trials was not demonic possession (which would have been kind of cool), but ergot infected rye.

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

I know some people don't like the spiciness of rye beers, but I can't say enough good things about this one. Poured into an imperial pint, it left a meringue-like head that lasted and lasted, as well as leaving tons of lace as I drank it down. It was a slightly hazed, dark amber color. No mistaking the spicy rye aroma and lots of citrus/pine notes. The flavor is a smooth mirror of the aromas: spicy, peppery rye and the citrus/pine hop flavors. Little more than medium body and bubbles from the bottle conditioning that just won't quit. Side note: I know a great label can hide a bad beer, but their marketing guy gets 5 stars. I had heard of it and would buy it anyway, but that label would make me pick it off a shelf. Great job, Jester King!

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

fine, fine ale. when i picked it up, i didn't realize it was a RYE farmhouse ale, so was curious after i got it home. it did not disappoint, at all.
look: very nice, hazy amber color with plentiful head, leaving abundant lacing. looks as good as it tastes.
smell: pleasantly earthy. very much a farmhouse ale aroma, but you can smell the rye to a degree
taste: pleasantly different. without the rye, it would be likely be the quintessential farmhouse ale....the rye gives it a nice edge or bite.
feel...still not exactly sure what this means, but feels smooth with the right amount of carbonation.
overall: i will get this again if i can find it...supposedly it i retired.

poured from a big bottle, bottled 9.29.15. purchased at total wine and beer 5/7/16.

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

A real find! This is a great Double IPA, with a great presentation. Brown color with powder white head. Syrupy-citrus taste, bitter pine, very refined, not tart in any way. It just glides down the palate. Incredible aroma, it emanates from the bottle and then the glass. I drank this in a wide Duvel tulip glass. The aroma is herbal and fruity. I hope to acquire another bottle of this, and soon.

4.62/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: Dark orange brown with haze. Good off white head with some lacing

Smell: Good aromatics. Some spices, and hops in the nose. A woodiness is also present.

Taste: Great hop profile. The wheat and spice flavors tame the hops and makes a highly drinkable IPA.

Mouthfeel: A little thicker than most IPAs in my opinion but it just feels right.

Overall: A great take on the American IPA. I found myself very ready to take that next sip.

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy orange with hints of red. Thick foamy white head. The smell is the strongest part. Farmhouse funk. Citrus. Grass. Hops. Yeast. Grass. The taste follows suit. Spicy citrus hops and rye bitterness. Grassy, yeasty hoppy goodness. Labeled as a farmhouse ipa and it fits this description perfectly. The combination of hops and farmhouse flavors compliment nicely.

As usual, JK knocks it out of the park yet again. A very solid hybrid that is reasonably priced.

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. I don't often comment on the labels but this one calls for a major shout out. First off, the picture is creepy cool in itself and I really like the logo as well. Secondly, the label portion on the back of the bottle has what I wish each beer came with - full information on glassware, serving temp, OG, FG, IBU and full ingredient list. Awesome! The only thing missing and, again should be required by law IMHO, is the bottling date. This just hit the market in bottles so I know it's fresh now but really want to see a date for future purchases. It was a hazy amber color with lots of carb streams. It had a large, fluffy, white head that slowly settled into a good foam cap. Great lacing with lots sticking.

The aroma was excellent. Pine, spicy rye and citric show up on the hops side along with some bready malt. Good bitter aroma. The rye is there but well balanced unlike some other rye's I've had lately. The taste was also excellent. Good bitter bite balanced with the spice and bready flavors. Working my way up the bitter food chain lately and this one is right in the sweet spot for me. Add some more citrus to this and it'd be a 5 for me. Mouthfeel is medium to full with lots of carb and a nice moderately bitter aftertaste.

Overall, this is an excellent rye IPA that I highly recommend. Very worthy of the hype and glad I picked it up. I originally was going to pass cause I've been burned a lot lately on the hype train but Rick from Lone Star talked me into it...and he was right as usual. Obviously avail here in TX since from Austin. Rotation - I see a lot more bottles in my future. And some on-tap searches as well. [H;Y]

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

First growler fill I've ever had and I think I made the right choice, poured into my Jester King grand opening snifter.

Dark honey in color, 2 finger soapy white head, great retention, leaves an awesome sticky lace, looks to have moderate carbonation.

Very fragrant, more floral than piney but still plenty of both, lemon and grapefruit aromas as well. I can smell the rye as well, it's a pleasant aroma too, nice change of pace for an IPA

Lemony and grapefuity with the pine resin flavors backing them up, the rye flavor on the finish come through very well. The bitterness is expertly balanced with the malty rye sweetness.

Light in mouthfeel, the carbonation being moderate helps lend it a more refreshing quality, the beer is very crisp and super smooth. Drinkability is amazing, easily the best rye IPA I've eve had, I could go through a growler a night with this stuff! Full flavored local goodness, I have a new go to IPA

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to redredwino (Reddit) for this one.

Pours a big frothy 2+ finger head, big lacing, ligth hazy golden peach color.

Nose has fresh citrus hops, tropical fruit, juicy fruit, peach, pear, apricot, tangerine, etc, bit of spicy and fruity rye, touch of musty resinous aromas and pine.

Taste has some light toasty and grainy malts, then light spicy and fruity rye, some citrus and tropical fruit, light pine and musty resinous fresh hops, bit of spicy, fairly bitter but not crazy, bit sticky and lingers on the finish with rye and citrus hops, bit more bitterness on teh finish, long bitter finish with fresh earthy hops that linger for a long time.

Mouth is med bodied, lots of carbonation.

Overall great beer, the rye cuts through the fresh piney, resinous and citrus fruity hops, a nice balance with a bit of malt to balance it well, very tasty.

Wytchmaker Rye IPA from Jester King Brewery