Boxer's Revenge | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Full-flavored, dry, champagne-like farmhouse ale, matured in oak whiskey and wine barrels with multiple strains of wild yeast and bacteria. Look for lots of tropical fruit and funk, with a sour, earthy edge.

Added by UTCengOwl on 01-30-2011

Liked:
4.16/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 726-750 | 751-775 | 776-800  | next → last
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Jester King Boxers Revenge Saison (wild yeast)
had taster on tap at Whip In 2/17/2011
a- pale yellow, slight haze, medium small white bubbly head
s - estery fruit, and flowery aromatics, with mild wine vinegar
t - follows smell, sweet ester fruits, flowery bouquet, little bit of mild vinegar acidity, but you pick up some flowery hop bitterness towards the finish, and some tart fruity sweet white wine. It's thirst quenching, but with a bit of acidity and background bitterness.
m - light, with a bit of mouth coating fruity sweetness and bitterness in back of mouth
d - good, but it is a bit winey sweet, like a very fruity white wine. It has an overall refined profile, the flavor are interesting and unusual but seems carefully balanced. The wild yeast is kept in check, not too much earthy medicinal funk.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap at the Anvil in Houston. Review from notes.

A: Pours a slightly hazy, but bright golden/orange color. At first a two finger white head forms that fades to a ring. The ring sticks around to the end. Some light lace as well.
S: Just an awesome aroma. Up front is a nice clean fruity aroma. Melon, orange, and other citrus aromas that are great. Zesty spice, light funk, and a light tartness as well.
T: The funk is a bit more prevalent. Lightly tart fruits that follow the nose. I get a lot of melon and citrus fruits. A zesty spice as well. Some grassy flavors and a lingering bitterness.
M/D: A medium body that is perfectly carbonated. It could be a bit dryer, but for the most part very crisp and clean. Smooth at the same time. So easy to drink. I could never get enough of this.

I really love this. Again, well done Jester King. Just an excellent Saison. I am not sure if I like this as much as Boulevard's Saisons at the moment, but I would hate to live on the difference. Highly recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

@ The Whip In in Austin

A - Hazy orange in color with a little less than a finger of head, moderate retention and lacing.

S - Strong citrus and spice, mango and orange, sweet malts, hops and yeast.

T - Follows the nose pretty well, citrus and spice are at the forefront, earthy hops, sweet malts, with some bitterness, but not as much funky brett action as I hoped for.

M - Medium body and carbonation, well balanced, dry and crisp.

D - This is dangerously drinkable for the ABV, well done Jester King.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

Opaque, hazy, orange pour. Head was easily 2 fingers. Lacing was minimal and sporadic. Looked good in the JK snifter for sure!

Aroma is spice, spiciness, yeasty, mildly tart and fruity with a fair amount of hops.

Taste was lightly tart, hoppy, earthy, spice, sweet malts and a bitter-tart finish.

Light to medium in body, crisp, slightly creamy texture.

Drinkability is fairly good. Not being a particular fan of sours, the tart qualities are mild and tolerable for me!

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Very excited to try this beer.

On tap - well actually out of a pitcher - at the brewery's grand opening celebration.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the orange, yeast and mangos. The aroma is very strong and is very inviting.

The flavor is more of the same. In addition to some spiciness from the yeast, I get some white pepper, wheat and orange. The beer is very dry. Even though the beer is brewed with two kinds of Brettanomyces, I don't get much, if any, funk from the beer. That being said, the alcohol is very well hidden and the beer is dangerously drinkable.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice saison, I just wish it was a little bit funkier.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Had this on tap at their grand opening party. They poured it into my shaker pint glass and then I poured from that into a mini snifter. I had an option of getting any of their beers and I got this one twice in a row. That's gotta say something, right?

The beer was a hazy gold. I would have liked some more clarity on it, but it wasn't bad. It had a dry, white head that dissipated somewhat quickly, but I blame the pouring from pitchers for that.

The beer smelled like a citrusy farmhouse ale. Definitely had the saison notes, but I could have used more funk form the brett and wild Austin yeasts.

The taste was quite a bit like my last saison-brett homebrew. You can tell they used the 3711 Wyeast saison yeast as the primary eater of sugars. It hit all that I wanted out of that. As it finished, I got an orange-peel citrus spike. Made it somewhat sweet for how dry it was and didn't quite give me the funk I wanted. I think this could have used a bit more time in the barrels.

The carbonation was fine (which is better than I could say for some of the other times I've had their beers) and the weight was good in my mouth. Is was incredibly easy to drink, even if you don't look at the high ABV. After getting e first glass, I wanted another to go along with my dinner... and that says everything I can about the drinkability.

This was a good beer, but I think with some more effort and time it could be great. Come on Jester King, hit the funk out of the park!

firstprev| 726-750 | 751-775 | 776-800  | next → last