Thrash Metal Farmhouse Strong Ale | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

A hop forward beer with dank, resinous hop flavor and aroma, balanced by lightly kilned malt flavors, farmhouse yeast esters and a bit of warming alcohol. Thrash Metal Farmhouse Strong Ale is an homage to thrash metal music, which often fuels us during our daily chores at Jester King.

Added by videofrog on 01-09-2012

3.9

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to JLindros for sharing this bottle.

A - Poured into a standard Kate the Great tulip a hazy golden straw hue with a thin light blanket. Light lacing.

S - Aromas of light farmhouse funk ans fruity esters just very inviting .

T - Taste is quite different and unique. Light farmhouse with gentle hay and citrus. Good esters with a light boozy.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty good, in line with other jester king beers.

O - Overall I enjoyed this unique beer from jester king. Glad I got to try it

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Another offering from Jester King Craft Brewery that I decided to try, a 750mL bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Thrash Metal Farmhouse Strong Ale has a cloudy darker blood orange color to it. It also poured more of an off-white/cream colored head, but not much, only about 1/2 inch.

S - On the nose I get some grassy notes, citrus, and a barnyard funk type of smell, most likely due to the yeast.

T - On the palate I got a little bit of spice first, followed by plenty of citrus (lemon and orange), not over powering though. This beer finishes with interesting zest of citrus and, grassy flavors. Also interesting of note is the amount of Belgian style malt that comes through.

M - Medium-bodied on the palate, even a bit light due to the higher than expected amount of carbonation I feel. Which surprised me since I didn't get much head on the pour.

O - Another fantastic job by Jester King, Thrash Metal is well done. The beer is well balanced, and I didn't feel that any one flavor was specifically over powering. It has an interesting complexity that you just have to experience for yourself. I have one more bottle I'm going to let age for a little while and see how this beer changes.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.86/5  rDev -1%

Bottle opened on 6.10.12.

A - Poursa cloudy dark orange with a lively large light tan head that fades down pretty quickly.

S - Very subtle. SOme citrus, pine and Bret does come out.

T - Sweet citrusy-pine, and some Bret.

D - Good carbonation and a light body.

O - Unique beer here. Bret and some funky citrus, a touch of hoppy resin as well.

2.87/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Pours a murky, dirty looking copper color. A large white head forms that sticks around. Light lace.
S: Mango and peach aromas up front. Slightly tart, spicy phenols linger.
T: Slightly tart fruits of mango and peach. Grainy, dirty malt. A lingering rough bitterness. Plenty of alcohol in the finish. Not much else.
M/D: A medium body and low on the carbonation. Really thin and watery. Even dirty like. I wish this was more crisp and clean. The alcohol is strong. A slow sipper for sure, and not that interesting.

This did not do it for me. Seems to be a theme with some of the newer Jester King offerings. I don't know what it is, I guess I just don't enjoy the new stuff as much as everyone else.

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

750 mL bottle pours a very hazed, medium gold color with a tiny-bubbled white head. Average retention and very nice lacing.

Light tropical hop aroma and a bit of underlying tartness. Has a chalkiness to it...kinda like Smartees candy. Some touches of red apples and grape skins. Interesting smelling brew, the yeast has done some funky stuff here, for sure.

Definitely a nice American-made BSPA here, lots of character. Thick body and the hops are tamer than I thought they would be, maybe equal parts flavoring and bitterness. The mouthfeel is very nice...carbonation is very fine and the creaminess is awesome. I am surprised that the hops and yeast mix so well here, most times I find it to be a clashing combination. Hides the ABV well. It shows off the yeast very well and I am quite impressed by this offering. I'll buy a few more if I can find 'em, even though I dont think this one would fare well in the cellar...I fear many will try however just because of the Belgian heritage and high ABV.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

A: This pours a very nice dark copper orange body with a thick white head that slowly fades and leaves a lot of lace on the side of the glass.

S: There is a strong amount of malt at first and it also has a nice bit of hops. It seems very sweet and fruity too.

T: The first thing I recognize is the nice hops on the palate. The big lingers for a long time and then has a very pleasant malt taste.

M: This to me is the best part of the beer. It is so smooth and easy to drink. When I pour it into my mouth it has a nice fluffy feeling that goes down with ease. There is a tiny bit of crispness too.

O: Just another very solid beer released by Jester King. If you see this, def get it!

4.25/5  rDev +9%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for sharing this beast! I thought this would be a version of their Black Metal imperial stout so imagine my surprise when it poured a cloudy straw color with lots of foam atop! It has a yeasty estery aroma and is flavor-forward with a little sour, some tartness and a lemony note that opens as it warms. Is this a sour saison? Zesty, vibrant, big and not to be messed with!

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Pours a very hazy golden-orange color with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of strong banana and orange, with some pepper, clove, other spices, farmhouse yeast esters, citrus hops, sweet malt, and a hint of booze.

T - Starts off with some citrus and banana flavor with some orange peel, lemon, and tangerine, with a bit of peppery spice in the background. Through the middle, more yeast character comes through with some clove alongside some sweet malts and a touch of pine hop and bitterness. Finish is a mix of banana, clove, farmhouse yeast esters, citrus flavors, and a hint of booze.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a dry, warming, and lightly sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice balance of flavors with some strong citrus notes and malt flavors. The yeast flavor is also solid here.

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

The beer pours a light golden yellow with no head. The nose is outstanding with big notes of yeast, citrus fruit, and sugary sweetness. The taste doesn't translate with an overly hoppy, slightly gross aftertaste. I honestly don't like the intense hoppiness of this beer, it doesn't stay as clean as its nose. Overal I probably won't try this beer again, not my style.

Thrash Metal Farmhouse Strong Ale from Jester King Brewery