Jester King / Mikkeller Beer Geek Rodeo | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The second collaboration between Jester King and Mikkeller, Beer Geek Rodeo is an Imperial Oatmeal Stout brewed with smoked malt, chipotle peppers and Vietnamese coffee.

Added by Mora2000 on 04-20-2012

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours black, with a medium mocha colored head, leaves a little lace and dissipates to a dark foam. Aroma is coffee, some dry chocolate, lots or roast, some char and some spiciness. More coffee and chocolate on the the taste, dry cocoa powder, roasted, almost charred malts and a bit of peppery heat that tingles on the back of the throat. The feel was upper medium bodied to full, some creaminess with a clean finish.

I nice imperial stout, but the coffee wasn't as enticing as the other Beer Geek variants.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to Shelly for sending this from Texas. 3 oz. poured in an FFF Rastal on August 17th, 2012.

A - Softer opal-brown coloring, thin tan head. Poor retention.

S - Roasted malts, mocha, light baker's chocolate, and definite peppers.

T - Plenty of roast up front with toasted espresso beans. Mid picks up the chipotle peppers that pushes the spicyness of the pepper through to rear. It's not at all overpowering and blends well.

M - Medium body, higher carbonation, semi-dry finish.

D - Better than I expected. I think the coffee gets a tad bit lost in the mix but it's a well done pepper inclusion that shows the heat of more of a bell pepper but the good flavor of chipotle.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

We here in Kentuckiana don't get Jester King, so this was a rare treat to find. One of my favorite stores got some Jester King leftover stuff from one of their distributors. Awesome find!

A- This rodeo clown poured an opaque, solid black with a huge muddy-colored head that lasted quite some time. Spotty brown lacing hugged the glass for the duration.

S- I smelled brown sugar before I saw it on the ingredient list, so I guess that's cool. I don't get any heat from the aroma, but I do get some baker's chocolate and smokiness.

T- I'm getting a liking for chile beers... That being said, I am not a huge fan of chipotle peppers. However, the smokiness of the peppers goes well with the smoked malt and earthy oat flavor. The heat level is perfect IMO, but I'd like to see what they could do with other pepper choices even those this is one of the rare instances where I like chipotles.

M- At first, I thought it was a bit thin, but as I continued to imbibe, the original thinness was no longer noticeable. This was very creamy and smooth for a chile stout.

O- Overall, I think everything came together nicely: the coffee doesn't overpower, the oats bring a nice earthiness, the smoke of the peppers goes well with the smoked malt, and the brown sugar was a nice addition. I'm more interested in the black metal stout now that I see they used farmhouse yeast. To my knowledge, this is also my first "well water and/or harvested rain" beer. This makes me want to search out their Whiskey Barrel Rodeo and Weasel Rodeo.

*I really like the label artwork on this one, and it went well with my homemade lentil soup. I beckon for a chile pepper Founders Breakfast Stout!

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark with a thick latte-coloured head when poured roughly into goblet. Head is foamy and leaves heavy lacing. Light does not permeate when beer is held to light.

S- Bitter hops and coffee. Roasted, very dark malt, a light pepper scent (nasal burn?).

T- Coffee and roasted malt upfront, with peppery (the spicy vegetable kind) flavor and aftertaste.

M- Light to medium-bodied for style, smooth and creamy. The light burn of the pepper lingers well after swallowing.

O- Fantastic. Definitely my favorite Jester King so far. The local wild yeast is indiscernible to me and every note hits.

Jester King / Mikkeller Beer Geek Rodeo from Jester King Brewery