Buddha's Brew | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

The first Jester King beer to be brewed entirely in oak. Unfermented wort was racked directly to oak barrels and inoculated with souring bacteria. From there, it spent months aging in our barrel room before being blended with live kombucha at bottling. Unfiltered, unpasteurized & naturally carbonated through re-fermentation in the bottle.

Added by brandon911 on 09-16-2012

3.9

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one at a recent Random Sunday Tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a pale golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, funk, sour, tart, fruit, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, funk, sour, tart, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. There were some nice notes going on here with a fairly good balance. Upon first inspection of the nose I wasn’t really expecting anything really special for the style, however on the flavor I did find it to be quite good. The fruit aspect was what truly made this one on the flavor. It was quite refreshing and rather enjoyable. Glad I got the chance to try this one.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I was so intrigued I couldn't stop myself at buying for 15 a bottle

Appearance is lively but not heady. Beautiful straw yellow

Smell Is oak, lemon, honey and an odd mix I can't put a description except funky

Taste is quite similar, an odd Brett flavor comes out more and some fruity esters

Mouthfeel is impressive for what they've done here

Overall this reminded me somewhat of fantomes saison

3.37/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Drinking this was similar to drinking regular, non-boozified kombucha--the first sip is nearly intolerable and I worry that I won't be able to finish the bottle. Then it get drinkable. Then I develop a taste for it and am sorry, some time later, when the bottle is finally empty.

I have no idea what goes into brewing with live kombucha but I'm willing to bet it's not particularly easy. Additionally, I got no ideas how to really review this beer since there's nothing against which it can be fairly based--it's not a regular wild ale, certainly. It's a whole new world of tart.

I can say, however, that this was not an easy drinking beer. Even as I came to enjoy it, it still went down awful slow. So while it's doubtless an excellently brewed beer, I can't quite bring myself to recommend it normal-like.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%