Gotlandsdricka | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: Smoked Beer

Gotlandsdricka, meaning “Drink of the Good Land”, is believed to have been the beer of the Vikings. Our rendition of this ancient style is inspired by the traditional farmhouse ales once brewed on the island of Gotland, off the coast of Sweden. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and naturally-conditioned.

Added by StaveHooks on 10-19-2012

4.2/5  rDev +16%

I knew once I saw the label on this beer, as happens with every Jester King offering I see, that I'd have to get it. It caught my eye, the evil-looking Viking, so I took a closer look. I was curious of what the style of beer it was. But while the label explains what the beer is like, it doesn't say what it is. That intrigued me further. I have to say, Gotlandsdricka did not disappoint.

If I could best describe the look (and other qualities) of Gotlandsdricka, it'd be that it looks similar to a Belgian golden ale. It has a bright golden color, is cloudy, and produces a fine bubbly and frothy white head. Lacing was not present.

A nice toasted breadiness hits the nose first. It's moderately smoky, just right so that it doesn't mask any other aromatic characteristics. That plus the juniper/gale gives the smell an earthiness. The juniper/gale, and I should say that I can only guess at the characteristics of the gale since this is the first beer I've had that uses it, add a peppery, coniferous spice, not to be confused with the pine resin-like coniferous character present in most pale ales. The farmhouse yeast keeps the beer seeming like a Belgian golden to me. I get a bit of lemon zest in there too.

The taste is much like the smell. Right off the bat there's the toasty light malts with the juniper/gale spiciness following. The smokiness, what Jester King told me via Twitter is birchwood-smoked malt, comes right after, blending in with the toasty malt and spiciness so that you get a nice variety of flavors one after the other but all in harmony. There's an excellent grassy sugar sweetness throughout too that balances perfectly with the rest. Once I let Gotlandsdricka warm up a little, I was greeted with an incredibly well-balanced beer. It's sweet, smoky, spicy, and none of it overpowers the others. This is definitely an interesting beer to the taste buds.

Gotlandsdricka is also very drinkable, lighter in body, and has a nice medium carbonation. It's smooth as silk going down.

I definitely recommend this to anyone. Jester King says it's giving the beer "additional fermentation with wild yeast and souring bacteria. We presently have a version of Gotlandsdricka that we inoculated with wild yeast and bacteria aging in oak barrels." I can't wait!

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

A: fairly light yellow in color, just a bit darker than straw. Lightly cloudy. Forms an enormous white head that quickly fizzes away to nothingness. No lacing.

S: light smokiness, light crisp green apple. Some yeasty esters. Coriander and peppery spice.

T: Light pale malts, mild smokey quality. Honey, apple, pear, biscuit, bready yeast, and a mild piney spice, presumably from the juniper.

M: lighter bodied. Heavier carbonation. Mild bitterness. Dry.

O: I guess it's a bit hard to rate against style when there isn't else like it. Never the less, not a bad beer. The smokiness is restrained, while the yeast is rather prevalent.

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

A-pours a straw orange color with a huge head that overflows

S-lots of smokey wood up front with some berry and pine

T-smoke flavor up front but not very intimidating. I honestly am not a big fan of this style but I do enjoy this beer. Slightly funky with a bitter juniper berry preesence with some resin in the background,

M-heavy carbonation with a heavy body...blends. Slightly odd with the smoke.

O-a very nice take on the smoked beer style but a little more sweetness would balance this one out better and it is rather bitter.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Didn't have a skull cup to drink out of, as the label recommends, so I used a tulip instead.

Lightly hazed straw gold, and a billowing head of white foam that settles quickly to a skim. No lace to speak of, looks fairly plain and simple, which makes perfect sense.

Aroma is lightly phenolic and yeasty, earthy spices take centerstage. As it warms some light smoke traces waft out also.

Moderate level of smoke, well integrated and not overbearing. The juniper and gale are subdued, and come off more as general spice than anything, with some light bitter phenolics as well. Aftertaste of honeyed malt and soft oak smokiness, a mellow wood-derived astringency cuts through the ample and frothy carbonation. As a historical recreation of an ancient simple smoked ale, it's definitely interesting (especially as a Swede myself) but a little one-note overall.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a clear straw hue--hint of haze and hint of greenish tint--with moderate carbonation producing a 1 inch white head. Good retention. Hint of lacing.
S: An interesting earthy smoke note hits first (like a fire in an earthen lodge). A bit musty with muted spicy citrus hops. Toasted grains. Very interesting...rustic...quite nice.
T: Strong, but not overpowering earthy wood smoke is the backbone of this beer. Musty farmhouse quality. Sweet malt with hints of juniper and mild fruit (e.g. grape). Hint of spicy citrus hops in the background. A note of honey emerges with warming.
M: Light body. Smooth turning toward a mildly bitter and quite dry finish. Wood smoke lingers nicely on the palate.
D: Difficult to compare to style since this is my first Gotlandsdricka. This is an easily drinkable, well-balanced, complex, and yet understated brew. I have had nothing like it and I love it. The drinking experience brings immediately to mind a Viking's existence. Seek it out if you can!

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

"Drink of the good land", eh? This must be Milwaukee's original beer (thank you, Alice Cooper)... Anyway, this stuff pours a hazy gold topped by a couple fingers of white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, coriander, black pepper, light clove, Belgian yeast, cracked wheat, and a general sense of mild campfire-style smoke. The taste brings in more of the same, with the smoke coming through stronger throughout, creating a fog of sorts on the tongue and fostering an increased sense of earthiness that works with the saison-like surroundings. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, a nice little smoked saison, a unique take on an already varied style. Good times.

Bottle shared by Chris (spycow). Served in a Hill Farmstead tulip.

A - White foam settles to a thin cap, thicker collar, and fingers of lacing. Hazed golden apricot body.

S - It's very smoke-forward, with a touch of herbal and bitter juniper in the periphery. The base beer imparts a peppery and mildly phenolic farmhouse ale backdrop, and even though the press release says this is a 'clean' versions I get a mild lactic Berliner Weiss kind of vibe.

T - The taste is quite similar, with smoke dominating the palate and a mildly bitter juniper finish. The peripheral flavors are those of a wheat-forward Saison, and the slight lactic note in the aroma doesn't translate to the flavor.

M - Medium-light body with a dry, chaffed wheat and smokey texture to it. Pleasant moderate-to-low carbonation and no discernible alcohol.

D - An odd beer, but a fairly enjoyable one. I refilled my glass a few times, and while I wouldn't want this often I'd certainly have it again in the future. I'm actually fairly intrigued by the upcoming 'wild' version. Worth checking out if you like smoked beers.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.68/5  rDev +29.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle with the awesome label art into a hollow drinking horn.

Appearance - Golden yellow, like a Wheat or DIPA, slightly opaque. Poured with a 1 inch thick white foam head, which dissipated within a few minutes. Some carbonation, not much.

Smell - Tart, bready, and smokey. A little farmhouse funk right along with the smoke, but not much. Almost like old bacon you've had in the fridge check to see if it's still good, and yes, it still is. Haha. Others may be able to detect more. My sense of smell sucks.

Taste - Awesome! Light and bready at first, you can definitely taste the rye, followed by the smoke, which is delicate and non offensive. It's actually really great, and doesn't overpower any of the other flavors. Brick oven pizza crust? After the smoke fades, you can taste a hint of the Juniper and the Gale, which linger into a slight bitterness as they fade.It's very refreshing for a beer with smoke on the palette, which my friends and I usually find ourselves sipping. I didn't detect any farmhouse funk at all, unlike the nose, but really I didn't want it. It's perfect the way it is. Although as it warmed up, it did take on a sourdough bread-like quality.

Mouth feel - The mouth feel is light with with a malty slickness, like a toned down wheat beer. It has a light carbonation that complements all of the other attributes terrifically. Like I said about the taste, it's very refreshing.

This beer wasn't quite what I was expecting, somehow I was expecting something more like a Sahti. I guess it was because I didn't really know what to expect from a style I've never tried before, but I liked it way more than what I was expecting. I'm of Swedish descent, so maybe I just have genetic predisposition to enjoy it? Hah.

Awesome Beer Jester King! Way different from the rest of the lineup. I'm glad I bought as much as I did. I hope you decide to brew it again one day.

Gotlandsdricka from Jester King Brewery