El Cedro | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Farmhouse ale hopped with piney, citrusy American hops, aged on Spanish Cedar spirals, and bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces yeast. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and naturally conditioned.

Added by lokieman on 01-11-2013

1.74/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 oz can into a Shaker pint. Best by April 29 2015 stamped on the bottom of the can.

A: Straw color, lots of bubbles.

S: Not very pleasant in my opinion, little horse blanket, slight diaper, woody.

T: Over carbonation is the first thing I notice, slight acidic, lots of cedar very little beer flavor

M: Overtly carbonated.

O: Couldn't finish the taster I had, another strike out from Jester King. Will age the other I bought and trade in a year or so.

1.75/5  rDev -57.5%

1.76/5  rDev -57.3%

2.24/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

2.87/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

3.01/5  rDev -26.9%

Batch #4. - bottled July 23rd, 2013. 8.0% ABV confirmed per the label. OG: 1.062. FG: 1.002. IBU: 42. Brewed with Millenium, Cascade, Columbus, Citra, and Simcoe hops. Refrigerated since I purchased it last week at me local HEB Grocery. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with interesting label art and branded pressure cap served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery's reputation. Reviewed as a farmhouse ale because it identifies as a "farmhouse table beer" on the label.

I really do love the creative art on the actual cap; there's a lot of attention to detail there and it's fun.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a five finger wide head of supple white colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Good even lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 7 minutes. Body colour is a somewhat cloudy clear yellow-pale copper. Average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, I'm a bit surprised by its clarity. How is Jester King getting their farmhouse ales so clear if they're truly not filtering them?

Sm: Clove, pilsner malt, clean barley, straw, cedar wood, and a light funkiness from the brettanomyces yeast. Peach fruit. Some white pepper. Honey. Allspice. Pine and floral notes from the hops. Bursts of subdued citrusy fruit. and accompanying rinds. The cedar aging does seem to complement whatever the base was nicely here; it's a refreshing take on the style.

A pleasant aroma of moderate strength, featuring some nice subtlety.

No alcohol or off-notes are detectable.

T: Plenty of cedar wood and biting piney hop character throughout, creating a clash of sweetness and bitterness that is never satisfactorily resolved. Honey, cream, funky brettanomyces yeast character, floral hop character, grassiness, clean barley, straw, light white pepper, and assorted citrusy notes including a touch of lemon, peach, and assorted citrusy rinds. Pilsner malts, lightly oniony simcoe hops. Wheat. The core imbalance throws off the whole flavour profile, but I can find individual elements I enjoy. The cedar in particular is interesting, but I can't decide whether or not I actually like it. In any case, I'm surprised by how prominent that flavour is given only spirals (not an actual barrel) were used. As it warms, I get some grapeskin and sour apple. Estery and phenolic.

Depth of flavour is average for the style. Duration and intensity of flavour are above average, but the best beers in the style emphasize complexity and subtlety, not intensity or extremity. Overhopped for the style. Some alcohol is noticeable.

Overall, I do like it for what it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sticky and a bit nectary. Just a biteen overcarbonated. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it. Decent presence on the palate. Decent body. Powdery

Not oily, hot, gushed, or harsh.

Dr: A downable beer that could hide its ABV better. Far from a paragon for the farmhouse style, but I applaud the experimentation with cedar. I'm unimpressed with it and wouldn't buy it again or recommend it to friends, but I'll easily kill the bottle by myself. A middling offering from Jester King, a brewery which I am increasingly viewing as more famous for its marketing than the quality of its beers.

High C