Censored | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Pecan Wood Smoked Saison Crafted in the once commonplace, Old World tradition of bière de coupage, young, dry hopped ale is blended with old, barrel-aged sour beer fermented with native yeast. A portion of the malt was smoked over pecan wood at The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and naturally conditioned.

Update: Our original label application for Salt Lick Pecan Wood Smoked Saison was rejected by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), after having been approved by the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB). We have renamed this beer "Censored" for sale in Texas.

Added by ThirdEyePA on 03-04-2013

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

1.59/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Same trade from Nablock.

Opened up the bottle and noticed yeast overgrowth covering the entire lip of the bottle. Not a good start.

Appearance: Poured light golden yellow with a pretty large head. I was intrigued by this one due to the Pecan Smoked malt that was added.

Smell: Oh boy, just as I thought, infected. It smelled like a light struck chardonnay. Sour white grapes and nothing else from it. People kept stating there's a lot of pecan wood smoke on the nose. No way that was even present in this bottle.

Taste: Exactly how it smelled. Sour grapes, bitter, very astringent and brutal to finish. Pecan wood on the very back end was my only respite.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, bitter, bitter...

Overall: Infected, what can I say. Maybe another try? I'd prefer a hop forward beer from Jester King. Or their fruit based wild ales which I've heard great things about.

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

2.32/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Bottle (2013)

Thanks for opening this with me, Josh!

Unfortunately, there wasn't much I could take away from this beer that was positive. Both the aroma and flavor had strange, and strong, flavors of smoke, sharp wood, and a meaty, almost pork-like, character. This was largely undrinkable, for me. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of smoked beers, especially when not don well. I didn't think this one was done very well, either. There was some grass and a salinity to it as well, but the smoke was too dominant for me, personally. If this sounds interesting, I'd still recommend trying it, as other people I respect have enjoyed this one. Perhaps it just wasn't for me.

2.34/5  rDev -35.9%

On tap at Pinthouse Pizza in Austin.

A: Pours a hazed, golden/orange color. One finger, thin white head forms, and fizzles out after a minute. Light lace.
S: This is like an ash tray. Rubbery, burnt malt, charred wood. Mix that with meaty smoke, with a bit of tartness in the end of the nose. If it was just meaty/smoked malt with the farmhouseness, it would be interesting if not particularly to my tastes. Though the ash tray aroma is bad.
T: Like the nose there is an ash tray flavor here. Though not as intense as the aroma. Burnt wood and char. A pronounced bandaid flavor. Then a stronger tartness here. These are characters that do not mesh at all.
M/D: A light body with low carbonation. Thin, watery, and dirty. I did not care to finish this one bit. Hard to drink, and a mess.

I can't see how anybody could enjoy this? A complete mess, and on top of that, just bad. Avoid.

2.46/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Pretty rough. Bad smoke, mild bandaid.

2.58/5  rDev -29.3%