Censored | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Pecan Wood Smoked Saison Crafted in the once commonplace, Old World tradition of bière de coupage, young, dry hopped ale is blended with old, barrel-aged sour beer fermented with native yeast. A portion of the malt was smoked over pecan wood at The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and naturally conditioned.

Update: Our original label application for Salt Lick Pecan Wood Smoked Saison was rejected by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), after having been approved by the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB). We have renamed this beer "Censored" for sale in Texas.

Added by ThirdEyePA on 03-04-2013

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

"Censored" version from the bottle.

Hazy golden orange in color with two-fingers of gently settling off-white head. Aroma is enjoyable, albeit subdued, with lemon, melon, yeast, herbs and a faint smokiness. Yeasty up front on the tongue with a nice interplay of melon rind and lemon juice followed by a palpable woodiness, salt, and a soft sour aftertaste. Medium bodied. Has a bit of grittiness that gets in the way.

Have liked what this brewery has been doing for a while, and even though this one isn't as robust as some of the others of theirs I've tried, it is another winner that sports that unique JK touch.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Jester King "Censored." (Formerly "Salt Lick"). "Bottle conditioned ale partially aged in oak barrels with wild yeast." Batch #[Unintelligible]. January 2013. 6.7% ABV confirmed per the label. FG 1.002. IBU 22. Reviewed as a saison, since the label describes it as a "Pecan Wood Smoked Saison." 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with interesting label art and a fantastic branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at Whole Foods HQ here in Austin and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas.

Served cold, straight from me fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

HOLY SHIT! GUSHER! I had refrigerated this per the label's instructions and it absolutely volcanoed on me. Beware!

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours no head whatsoever (in spite of its seeming overcarbonation). All we get a white floater ring of below average thickness and creaminess. It lasts maybe 40 seconds. No lacing.

Body colour is a hazy cloudy yellow of above average vibrance. Translucent. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks about right for a saison.

Sm: The first thing I pick up is an obvious brettanomyces-induced funkiness, with soft welcoming notes of tart lemon zest and wheat. The tartness takes a turn, though, as soon as the smokiness introduces itself, yielding a strange aroma I'm not entirely on board with. Cidery and apple-y. Notes of wet straw, pilsner malts, and grains. Light crackery malts. I do pick up pecan in the smokey character. I'm not sure the smokiness mixes well with the saison aspect of the beer, but to be honest it seems to work a lot better than I anticipated; there's none of the pork, bacon, or smog notes you'd get from a rauchbier, for example. White grape. Generic floral hop character. No alcohol is detectable. A kiss of lactose.

A really intriguing aroma, but the jury is out on whether the two diametric profiles clash or come together. I wouldn't call the aroma pleasant per se. Mild in strength.

T: A brief hint of the white peppery notes I look for in a good saison. No milky notes. Wheat, pilsner malt, crackery malts, straw. Brettanomyces-induced funkiness throughout; it does lack depth though. The smokiness is nicely subdued by the lactose, but it still feels out of place. I do get some gose-esque saltiness. Clove. Lemon citrus zest and accompanying esters. Lemon peel. Has a light tartness. I don't get any wild yeast per se. And the purported pecan? Nowhere to be found. A bit cidery and apple-y. Complementary timid floral hops. It's pretty good, actually. I can't in good faith call it balanced, but I will say that it navigates its merging of two distinct flavour profiles pretty well. Good complexity. Some limited subtlety.

Depth of flavour is below average - but only when reviewing to style; the saison may be the deepest style out there. Average flavour intensity and duration.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Crisp. Smooth and wet. Strangely refreshing, actually. Excellent carbonation; this really benefited from bottle conditioning. Smacky. Fairly acidic. Complements the flavour profile quite nicely. Good presence on the palate and good body. A well executed texture for this approach to a saison.

Dr: I love the experimentation. It took me awhile to warm up to this one, but now that I have I'm really liking it. It's an extremely interesting beer, and while I can't say it's a great saison, it's a pretty good hybrid style - dareisay a unique beer. I haven't really understood the Jester King obsession since I moved here to Austin, but if they have more beers like this I'll happily purchase them. Would I get this again? Maybe for trades. The price point is a bit unreasonable given the availability of far better (even imported saisons) for near the same amount. The light lactobacillus kiss is a highlight for me. Far from forgettable, Salt Lick is well worth a try.

I recommend a snifter or tulip over the pilsner glass I had to use.

I doubt it'd age well.

Low B

4.5/5  rDev +21%

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Got in a trade with Cyde. 750 ml bottle into signature tulip glass; Batch 1, bottled in January 2013. Slow gusher upon opening. Pours extremely hazy golden amber color with a 2 finger fairly dense and fluffy white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of tart lemon, green apple, pear, clove, pepper, wheat, smoke, wood, hay, grass, funk, light vinegar, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of malt and yeast ester notes, with prominent smoked wood presence; and good strength. Taste of tart lemon, green apple, pear, clove, pepper, hay, grass, wheat, wood, smoke, funk, light vinegar, leather, and yeast earthiness. Good amount of tart earthy spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of tart fruit, clove, pepper, wheat, wood, smoke, hay, grass, funk, light vinegar, leather, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance and complexity of malt and fruity/spicy yeast flavors; with a fair amount of smoke presence and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a light creamy and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is an excellent smoked wild saison style. All around great balance and complexity of malt, smoke, and fruity/spicy yeast flavors; and very smooth and crisp to sip on. I thought the wood smoke note complimented the spicy yeast nicely. A very enjoyable offering.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%