Censored | Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery
Texas, United States
jesterkingbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Pecan Wood Smoked Saison Crafted in the once commonplace, Old World tradition of bière de coupage, young, dry hopped ale is blended with old, barrel-aged sour beer fermented with native yeast. A portion of the malt was smoked over pecan wood at The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and naturally conditioned.

Update: Our original label application for Salt Lick Pecan Wood Smoked Saison was rejected by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), after having been approved by the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB). We have renamed this beer "Censored" for sale in Texas.

Added by ThirdEyePA on 03-04-2013

2.32/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Bottle (2013)

Thanks for opening this with me, Josh!

Unfortunately, there wasn't much I could take away from this beer that was positive. Both the aroma and flavor had strange, and strong, flavors of smoke, sharp wood, and a meaty, almost pork-like, character. This was largely undrinkable, for me. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of smoked beers, especially when not don well. I didn't think this one was done very well, either. There was some grass and a salinity to it as well, but the smoke was too dominant for me, personally. If this sounds interesting, I'd still recommend trying it, as other people I respect have enjoyed this one. Perhaps it just wasn't for me.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Jester King Brewery - Salt Lick (Censored), poured into a Craftgeer snifter.

Look - Pours a deep mimosa with a small foamy head that dissipates quickly but leaves considerable lacing.

Smell - Tart citrus, sour, oaky, and funky as hell. Take all that and throw it in a smoker because that's what it is.

Taste - Undoubtedly lemon sour in the front that gives way to woody smokiness and a bit of salt.

Mouthfeel - Light body, sits smoky but not bad. Heavily carbonated, dry, and fades quickly. Not overly boozy and actually quite drinkable.

Overall - This is without a doubt one of the most unique brews I have ever had (something Jester King seems to make me say often). Glad I tried but I would not get this one again, it is definitely not for everyone and along those lines it's not for me, but I judged it on it's merits and it was pretty good at doing what it advertised.

4.31/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip. Batch #1, Jan 2013. This gave me quite a nice little clean-up to do when I found some big time gushing.

4.0 A: Murky yellow/orange/brown color. Two fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is pretty good and lots of lacing is left.

4.75 S: Smells great. The smokiness is so enticing - porcine city. Doesn't come off as very sour, it's more of a funky tanginess. Woody, funky with herbalness, rotting wood, and outdoorsiness. Hay and grassiness. A bit of fruitiness. The smokes blends supremely well with the funk. I couldn't ask for much more.

4.25 T: Taste is also really great. The sourness comes through stronger than the nose. Porcine smoke again, light sourness with plenty of tanginess, woodiness. Funk gives rotting wood, herbalness, outdoors, and hay/grassiness. Peachy fruitiness.

3.75 M: Lighter medium body. Plenty of light, somewhat spritzy carbonation. Supremely smooth.

4.25 D: Very nice beer overall. Awesome nose and great everywhere else.

4.04/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Pours a straw/hay in color with a two finger eggshell head.

S - The smell first off is like opening a bbq pit smoker. The smoke is cut with a light sweetness that brings it all together. Behind that is a lemony tartness with some funk.

T - Lemon sour on the front, some funk/wheat/hay and the sweet smoke from the pecan wood comes in midway through. Ends a little salty with may'be some white pepper.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation. Finishes dry.

O - Really an interesting combo here. I can see this as a love it or hate it beer. But, to me it's really great and refreshing.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled Jan. 2013. Pours out a straw gold, very hazy. Heavy carbonation makes for a great 2 inch head. It settles to a dusting on the top, leaving on bits of lace behind.

The smell has the sour citrus of a Berliner-weisse, follow by a kick of BBQ smoke and some farmhouse funk. Intriguing smell.

Wheat, fresh lemon, smoked wood and a slight sour grape aftertaste make an odd combination of flavors. Not bad, but very different. The mouthfeel is light, but a bit heavy on the carbonation.

I enjoyed the ride, but won't pick up another one. Did compliment my pork tenderloin pretty well though.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%