P-51 Porter | Wingman Brewers

Style: American Porter

Added by barleywinefiend on 04-22-2011

Reviews by tone77:
3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Woodychandler comes through again with another canned beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Despite careful handling this beer came gushing out of the can, finally settling with an inky black color with a 1.5 inch head. Smell is mild, roasted malts. Taste is also mild for the style, some roasted malts, a touch of hops, some alcohol is present, a bit lacking in flavor. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

3.67/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

4.16/5  rDev +21.6%

Luckily, I got a can that didn't have any issues that other people have had with contamination.

Appearance is deep, deep brown almost black. Tan head, quickly dissipating, minimal lacing. Smell is dark roasted malts, cocoa. Taste is caramelized malts, hearty dark rustic bread, biscuit, finish is dark chocolate. Mouthfeel is silky but viscous, medium-low carbonation. Overall, I really enjoyed it. In a blind taste, I could have believed it was a stout. It is slightly less roasty and has fewer coffee notes than most stouts. It shows how blurred the lines have become between porter and stout.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

3.74/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Reuben's Brew snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown, appearing nearly opaque in the glass. Nice two finger, fine light brown head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of dark toasted malt with mild char, hints of chocolate. Flavor is well toasted malt, char, boiled down coffee and hints of cocoa; finishes with lightly charred dark malt, light grassy hops, somewhat stark. Medium bodied with hints of creaminess, a bit thin for the flavor. A decent well roasted porter, bordering on stout territory; the initial flavor is reasonably rich with toasted malt, but the finish leaves the char and hop bitterness a bit exposed. The ABV is fairly well covered. A decent, but not remarkable example of the style. I'd get it again in a pinch.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

3.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours dark red/black with a small tan head.

Smell is roasty and malty.

Taste is odd, almost sour coffee. Licorice and a bit of nuts.

Slick mouthfeel and a bit of a sour after taste. Very interesting porter.

Not good, not bad, just middle of the road.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

2.38/5  rDev -30.4%

BeerTunes sent this to me with his apologies in support of The CANQuest (TM). Apparently, he was not a big fan and hated to foist it on others, but he knows what a CANFan I am and shot some over to me in spite of his biases. Hey, CANned beer means never having to say you're sorry. I have yet to receive any CANdolences from Minhas B.C. and I am not holding my breath, either.

From the CAN: "Premium Imperial Porter"; "Brewed & CANned in Tacoma, WA"; "Authentic. Well-Crafted. Tacoma Ales."

I got an explosive Crack as beer came foaming out to greet me like a puppy happy to see its master. Filled to the rim, it were! I went too aggro on the Glug and I soon had beer everywhere and I was thankful that I had pulled napkins out of one of my seldom-worn jackets earlier today. The dense, massive, finger-and-a-half of head looked like chocolate milkshake. It was deep-brown and held up mightily until all of a sudden it gave up and fell like a souffle when the oven door is slammed. I do not think that I have ever seen anything like it. Once the Glu was complete, I was looking at a glassful of inky, deep-brown liquid with no light penetration except at the edges, which is how I could determine color. Nose was rich with scents of smoke and dark chocolate. I suddenly remembered the house in Montreal by the entrance to the Metro from the hotel where we stayed in 2002 for the Mondial de la Biere. It had experienced a fire the week before and the smoky odor hung in the air. They did not hold back on the roasted malts, that much is indisputable. My first draught from the glass left me bewildered. The mouthfeel was mighty thin and the taste was tangy/sour, like something had gone wrong in the fermentation process. The rich chocolate of the nose was hidden in the background, supplanted by this odd tang. How sad! Finish was an odd melange of flavors, many of which should not have been incorporated. BeerTunes called it one step above a drain pour and while I did not dislike it that much, there was something fundamentally wrong here.

3.81/5  rDev +11.4%

2.93/5  rDev -14.3%

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Lots of ratings without any detail so I'm not sure what we can take from that. I historically haven't been a big porter drinker...that is until I found this beer. I really like how smooth it is and it doesn't feel overly heavy when you drink it. The beer seems to almost border between a porter and a stout which I really like. P-51 is almost stealth like in that it's 8% ABV, but yet it doesn't taste strong at all, this is a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. I am hooked on P-51, luckily I live in the Pacific Northwest so I can get all I want. Beer is like wine in that it is so personal with respect to what you like. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the other porter lovers consider to be top-notch porters, with one caveat...wimpy beers need not apply. Happy drinking and remember, what's good is what you like!

3.38/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Can from ABV.

Black with a dark brown head, this looks solid. The nose is a nice blend of burnt sugar, medium dark chocolate and coffee, a little alcohol, some muscovado sugar, and a faint hoppy note. The palate opens chocolatey, mildly boozy with some coffee present. The mid-palate has some booze, some vanilla and finishes with an earthy hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is rather distressingly disjointed, with the lack of a sufficient scaffolding to hold the flavor elements together being quite noticeable. Mildly bitter on the finish with toffee, medium dark chocolate and a little coffee, this beer is decent,

4.42/5  rDev +29.2%

On tap at Browers in Fremont in Seattle, served in a pint glass.

A - Darker than coffee brown, appeared almost opaque in the bar lighting. Low-lying caramel brown head dissipated quickly.

S - Malts, smoke, coffee, and a hint of bannana from the yeast. Didn't smell the hops too much.

T - This is where this beer really shines. Hopped very nicely in a way that doesn't clash with the roasted grain flavors. Starts out malty, hits you with some charcoal smoke flavors, and finishes with dark chocolate in the back of the throat. Very smooth finish, especially for a porter and doesn't overstay its welcome. You wouldn't guess that this was an 8% beer, the alcohol's really under the radar. One of the best tasting porters I've ever tried.

M - Thick enough to remind you it's a porter, but surprisingly refreshing. Carbonation was a little low, but may be by design.

Overall: I'm not, in general, much of a fan of porters and rarely have more than 1 or 2 in a sitting. I had this beer on a nice sunny day (not really porter weather in my opinion) and found it so refreshing that I could have easily put down too many of them. If you're ever in Tacoma, I'd definitely reccommend giving this one a try. Here's hoping they expand to at least a few more places in Washington...

1.5/5  rDev -56.1%