Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

P-51 Porter | Wingman Brewers

Style: American Porter

Added by barleywinefiend on 04-22-2011

4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

4.65/5  rDev +36%

on tap into a plastic cup at 4-Corners Brewfest. Delicious.
Dark, Dark, rich brown with lovely caramel-colored head which met a plastic cup death and then lingered like lacing on the surface. I like my porters at room temp or slightly below, so when I felt the cold brew I held on to it for a bit. Light roasted barley nose that grew more rich as it warmed. Chocolate, Coffee, and a balanced maltiness - not bone dry, not sweet, but hovering in between. Carbonation was spot in for the style. Had no idea it was an 8 abv until after tasting. Great effort.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Lots of ratings without any detail so I'm not sure what we can take from that. I historically haven't been a big porter drinker...that is until I found this beer. I really like how smooth it is and it doesn't feel overly heavy when you drink it. The beer seems to almost border between a porter and a stout which I really like. P-51 is almost stealth like in that it's 8% ABV, but yet it doesn't taste strong at all, this is a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. I am hooked on P-51, luckily I live in the Pacific Northwest so I can get all I want. Beer is like wine in that it is so personal with respect to what you like. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the other porter lovers consider to be top-notch porters, with one caveat...wimpy beers need not apply. Happy drinking and remember, what's good is what you like!

4.42/5  rDev +29.2%

On tap at Browers in Fremont in Seattle, served in a pint glass.

A - Darker than coffee brown, appeared almost opaque in the bar lighting. Low-lying caramel brown head dissipated quickly.

S - Malts, smoke, coffee, and a hint of bannana from the yeast. Didn't smell the hops too much.

T - This is where this beer really shines. Hopped very nicely in a way that doesn't clash with the roasted grain flavors. Starts out malty, hits you with some charcoal smoke flavors, and finishes with dark chocolate in the back of the throat. Very smooth finish, especially for a porter and doesn't overstay its welcome. You wouldn't guess that this was an 8% beer, the alcohol's really under the radar. One of the best tasting porters I've ever tried.

M - Thick enough to remind you it's a porter, but surprisingly refreshing. Carbonation was a little low, but may be by design.

Overall: I'm not, in general, much of a fan of porters and rarely have more than 1 or 2 in a sitting. I had this beer on a nice sunny day (not really porter weather in my opinion) and found it so refreshing that I could have easily put down too many of them. If you're ever in Tacoma, I'd definitely reccommend giving this one a try. Here's hoping they expand to at least a few more places in Washington...

4.16/5  rDev +21.6%

Luckily, I got a can that didn't have any issues that other people have had with contamination.

Appearance is deep, deep brown almost black. Tan head, quickly dissipating, minimal lacing. Smell is dark roasted malts, cocoa. Taste is caramelized malts, hearty dark rustic bread, biscuit, finish is dark chocolate. Mouthfeel is silky but viscous, medium-low carbonation. Overall, I really enjoyed it. In a blind taste, I could have believed it was a stout. It is slightly less roasty and has fewer coffee notes than most stouts. It shows how blurred the lines have become between porter and stout.

4.16/5  rDev +21.6%

I'm not the biggest porter guy in the world. But I really liked this one. Has good flavor, good smell and overall just a really solid beer. I would recommended to anyone, regardless if they are big into porters or not. What I love most about this beer is the 8% ABV. So you will only need a few of them to make you feel real good about the evening.

If you are in Tacoma, might as well give it a try. I know I really enjoyed it.

4.02/5  rDev +17.5%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Reuben's Brew snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown, appearing nearly opaque in the glass. Nice two finger, fine light brown head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of dark toasted malt with mild char, hints of chocolate. Flavor is well toasted malt, char, boiled down coffee and hints of cocoa; finishes with lightly charred dark malt, light grassy hops, somewhat stark. Medium bodied with hints of creaminess, a bit thin for the flavor. A decent well roasted porter, bordering on stout territory; the initial flavor is reasonably rich with toasted malt, but the finish leaves the char and hop bitterness a bit exposed. The ABV is fairly well covered. A decent, but not remarkable example of the style. I'd get it again in a pinch.

3.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev +8.8%