Outrage IPA

Reviews by cjtuggle:
4.23/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

At the source in Athens. Stopped by with my girlfriend for lunch and had the Outrage. Very solid IPA. Plenty of hop flavor and decent mouth feel. Went well with the PEI mussels. They have done a lovely job rehabbing that old building. Kudos. Watching the Bills win was a real bonus.

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Draught @ Recovery: This one pours a clear, orangish golden color. There was a small white head and some lacing. It has a lighter nose. Grapefruit and pine, and maybe some spiciness. The taste is good. A smaller hop bite, mainly of grapefruit and pine. Some spice. Decent body. Just rates an OK.

3.92/5  rDev -3%

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

on tap at my local spot, poured into a pint glass

a: light carmel/amber color. nice sticky 1/2" head with good retention. Reduzes nicely into lacing. Lacing rings the glass with each gulp.

s: grapefruit, bitter orange, caramel

t: nice caramel malt backbone gives way to cutting citrus bitterness boasting with grapefruit, orange and slight pine. Excellent!!!

m&d: medium bodied, drying mouth from the hops. Drinkable, but not really sessionable.

Glad to see another upstart brewer in this area to give the status quo on the run.

Cheers!!!

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Happy Hoppy New Easter April Beer Fools' Sunday (Week 684)! Between hops & wanting to make a fool out of myself, this seems like the perfect way to spend the day. I am off tomorrow as part of an amended Spring Break (Good Friday & tomorrow, but not Maundy Thursday), so I feel like I have been given an imbiber's green light. Even better is the opportunity to further The CANQuest (tm), which has now become an impossibility - new & limited-release CANs hit the market EVERY day (or so it seems). I am not giving up, but CANversely, I know that I am missing out. C'est la guerre & I do not suffer from FOMO, mofos, since I have more than enough to keep me satiated for a LONG time. Onward!

From the CAN: "outrage: /'out, raj/verb"; "An act that violates accepted standards of behavior & taste."; "This mettlesome American IPA boasts an aggressive 5 hop blend complimented by the finest British malts."

I am an outrage, so this should be right up my alley. The tab actually fought me on the Crack! as I opened the vent! I braced for a gusher as it is usually overcarbonation that causes this, but I was pleasantly surprised when nothing untoward occurred. A gentle Glug was in order as a celebration, followed by an in-glass swirl that raised just over two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with good retention, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a pretty Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a visit from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, all desirous of a taste. Nose was dank & resinous & it was making my hophead self VERY happy. Mmm. Mouthfeel was medium, about standard. The taste was biting and bitter, but not so intense as to be gasping. The British malts gave it an earthiness that worked well with the prevalent evergreen/wintergreen/pine tar taste from the hops. Finish was cool, dry & refreshing. This could be a dangerous quaff at 7%, but it was the tastiest of the day.

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A - Pours a dark gold color with a generously creamy, one fingered head. Very bright and very clear.

S - Lots of vibrant grapefruit and pine. Malt takes the back seat and the aroma suggests this is a very hop forward beer.

T - No complexity at all, just a straightforward West Coast style IPA with a generous amount of resiny grapefruit and pine. The bitterness is a little oily and leaves a lingering resinous coating of grapefruit peel for several minutes.

M - Medium body and silky smooth carbonation.

O - I wish I could get this beer in PA, it's hop forward and "delivers the goods" for us lupulin lovers - a must try. The aroma is good but where this one really shines is the taste. Reminds me more of the West Coast, nicely done and I will be seeking this one out again next time I head to Albany.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Thanks Brian for bringing this to share.
Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours a saturated tropical sunset orange. A thin layer of white foam rests on top, leaving some spotty lace as it's sipped. Eventually the head recedes to a wispy skim.

Pungent leafy hop resin aroma.

Big grapefruit notes right off the bat, juicy and fresh. Lots of citrus with a mild hop bitterness. Slightly sweet with a balanced pale malt backbone. Green resiny hop bitterness builds after each sip. Light bodied and quite sessionable. The fresh, lush citrus flavor is the real standout feature of Outrage.
Glad I got to try this one, really enjoyed it!

3.42/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Nice copper color with amber highlights. Quarter inch head and some lacing on my pint glass.

S: Biscuit sweet bread, grapefruit/lemon citrus, crisp malt

T: Bitter green hops, some caramel malt complexity

M: Medium body, good carb

st: growler

overall: A very nice IPA, but a little too bitter for me. Reminds me of Green Flash West Coast IPA. I would fill my growler up with this again. I prefer the Black Rock Stout from X-Roads.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Here is a recent review I wrote on draft:

I had a bunch of these when it was on tap at the Amsterdam Ale House on Manhattan's Upper West Side. This was one of the better IPA's (particularly new IPA's) that I've had for a long time. Very in your face hoppiness but well balanced as well.

Pale/Orange color. Good carbonation that sticks around for a while and leaves a bit of lacing.

Aroma is citus/pine and very strong.

Flavor as well was so great. Perfect amount of bitterness but very well balanced at the same time.

Highly recommend if you can find it.

---

I would say the cask is at least as good as the draft. Maybe better. Great brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Sampled at the tasting room which is running now. Then took home a growler and polished it away last night. Sweet Nectar IPA in the Cap to Hudson Valley region.

Extraordinarily quaffable and fruity IPA with a huge flowery nose and tons of tropical and citrus fruit. The beer gets a nice 1.5 inch foam stand with nice lacing. It is bright golden to light orange in color with great clarity. The beer has a fantastic balance of hop punch and malt backbone with a nice crisp bitterness in the finish. At 7% abv it is very drinkable and frankly hard to keep out of the glass. Smooth and medium light in body with a tremendous harmony of hop flavors.

Frequent growler fills will be required.

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Poured from the growler into a pint glass. Body is clear copper with a 1-finger ivory head. Leaves behind nice lace.

S: Not terribly strong in the nose - mainly piney hops over a touch of brown sugary malt.

T: First impression: reminds me of Sierra Nevada Celebration. Sprucey, piney, citrusy (grapefruity) hops over caramel malt - with a touch of toasted bread underneath as well. Nicely balanced - my wife the hophead thought it was too sweet, actually. Lingering dry bitterness at the back of the palate.

M: Good creaminess - carbonation is active - call it medium in heft.

O: Well done. My first Crossroads beer - it won't be my last.

4.56/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Such a really solid IPA. One of my favorite, just a plus that is is brewed locally and I can get it on tap at almost any bar I go to. Full of hops, but also has a nice drinkability to it, I could drink it all night, and I have. Has a full citrusy burst, almost everything you would expect from an IPA. West coast style but more balanced. Highly recommend.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

32oz (half) growler from Oliver's in Albany. Pretty excited to try this IPA from just a little bit south of here.

Quite amber in color. Small head, minimal lacing.

Sweet pine flavors on the nose.

Taste is of pine and some citrus hop flavors, with a sweet, but not too sweet, malt backbone. Hops hit quick in flavor and it finishes dry and a bit malty.

Mouthfeel is medium, nothing unusual here.

A very decent East Coast IPA here. Always happy to see more upstate NY beers.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

On-tap at Mugs Alehouse, Brooklyn, NY

A: The beer is clear amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that died down and left lacing on the surface and a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are strong aromas of citrus and pine resin hops in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has a strong mélange of hoppy flavors but at the same time is well balanced with notes of caramel malts. A light to moderate amount of bitterness is present.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink and goes down very smoothly. There’s a good amount of hop flavors but it also shares some similarities with the maltiness of an amber/red ale.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

Shitty day at work at a growler of Outrage IPA waiting for me in the fridge...into my Crossroads pint glass.

A: Super clear beer. Lots of clarity. Copper color with some amber highlights. A quarter finger of white head with some lacing.

S: This is one of those beers that the hops fade super quick. I actually can notice the difference between the taste I had at the brewery and the growler now. Little grapefruit. Citrus. Piney. Lemongrass. The malt is also super crisp and fresh smelling. The nose is everything you are looking for in an IPA.

T: While the hops are there in spades I am more impressed with the fact that there is a complexity of malt here as well. The taste is fairly close to a celebration ale in a lot of ways. Little caramel malt in there as well. Really nice complexity. Finish is nice with some lingering bitterness.

M: Medium body. Carbonation is nice. Medium body.

D: The whole time I was drawing a comparison to Celabration. Really nice beer overall. I hope this will be a nice beer and the local community will latch on to it. The brewery is in a wonderful place and the people are super nice. Really nice IPA. If I had to tweak anything I would want it a little drier but I like my IPAs that way.

3.79/5  rDev -6.2%