Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ride Again | Lucette Brewing Company

Ride AgainRide Again
3.9/5
Very Good
Ride AgainRide Again

Lucette Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
lucettebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Formerly known as Easy Rider

Added by BarrytheBear on 06-14-2011

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Into a fluted tulip glass it pours a bright saturated orange with slowly rising carbonation. A finger of foam on top, with a halo of delicate lacing in the glass. Swirling rekindles a fine skim across the surface, but the foam fades away fairly quickly with a collar of foam around the edges.

Bright citrusy hop aroma, fresh and green, slightly dank.

Moderate hop bitterness, citrus peel flavors, light pale malt, and a resiny feel that sticks to the teeth. Light bodied and very drinkable. Reminds me of a certain local favorite, Daisy Cutter, though with a more citrus based hop profile. A nice hoppy session ale, on the level of Indeed Day Tripper.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

I had this on-tap at Devil's Advocate in Minneapolis. Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a finger of creamy off white head. The head fades to a layer and leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild but hoppy. The hops smell a bit green. I'm also getting just a hint of orange peel.

Taste: This beer has a very nice balance to it. Citrus peel hops with a grassy quality along with a nice toasted malt backbone. Slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a finish that's a bit dry.

Overall: I liked the balance and the hop profile to this beer. Very easy to drink, I would definitely have another.

4.86/5  rDev +24.6%

Big Ups and Major Props to the fine fellows at Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI for providing me with a CAN in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) during my most recnt visit!

From the CAN: "Craft beer, hand crafted"; "Friendly with a Glass"; "Lucette, sweetheart to Paul Bunyan, was at the core of the lumber industry that built Menomenie. Like our beer, her origins are steeped in mystery. One thing remains certain, Lucette's legend has yet to be fully told."; "Misfortune and adversity originate from many places. It's not the source of these missteps that matter, but how one responds to such situations. Misadventures have shaped the ideals and values we abide by. This beer exists today and more than ever remains an image of resilience and empowerment, the foundation of Lucette, existing within us all. [undersigned the four Cofounders]".

I was amused, while a student at Pitt, to hear of a West Virginia phrase, using the verb, "to ride" as in to give one a ride somewhere. I first heard a pretty cheerleader classmate use it with one of our classmates, a buff young man with a Dodge Charger in which he took great pride. "Hey, Mike, would you ride me after class in your car?" At this, all of us perked up and looked over! "Hell yeah, baby! I'd love to ride you!" Her, embarrassed, "No, I meant give me a ride. That's just the way we talk in my hometown. Sorry, Mike, I didn't meant to get your hopes up." Wild laughter ensued.

Hey, Lucette, I'm all set to ride you again, baby! I love your gingham blouse, your wide brown eyes, your ruby lips, your bared midriff, your Daisy Dukes and best of all, your bangin' hairdo (she has bangs). Let's go back amidst the hops bines and see what we're made of!

I pulled her top back with a loud Crack and looked around to see if anyone had heard us. I gave her an inverted Glug and she threw her head back in glee. A massive head soon appeared, dense, tawny and not going down any time soon. Color was an-oh-so-slightly hazy amber (SRM = 13 to 17). I leaned in for a sniff of her scent and was rewarded with an oily, pine-like smell as if she had rubbed fresh hops on herself. Oh my! I drank deeply of her, allowing her voluminous body to fill my mouth, rolling her around on my tongue, feeling her luxurious sensuality as best I could. She was quite tasty, earthy with a pine-like mintiness that put me in mind of digging a hole in a pine forest. She returned my favors with a heavy dose of hops on the finish, leaving me breathless and astounded. Schlitz used to have the advertising tagline: "Just a kiss of the hops." Bump that action, Daddy-O! Lucette was giving me a French Kiss of the hops and I was totally digging her, man. Spent, I luxuriated in the afterglow, fondly fondling her CAN. Now, this is how beer should be!

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Rcvd in trade. This was poured into a pint glass. The appearance was a nice somewhat hazy orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute. There was some light speckled and foamy lacing all around. The smell had some light sweet citrus also letting in some grapefruit. Caramel malts are there but pretty subdued. The taste was pure bittersweet all the way through letting the hops dominate over the malts. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. The carbonation was there and somewhat sharp but not overbearing. Overall I say this was a pretty good APA well worthy of having again if available to me.

3.86/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours slightly hazed copper with a thin lasting head. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of citric and tropical fruits with bready background.

The taste is of citric fruits balanced by a firm pale malt backing. A pleasant mild bitter bite in the finish.

It is not quite chewy, but is firm and smooth. Medium-bodied with a nice texture.

A well-done, well-balanced, easy drinking APA!

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow, all this drinking and I am just starting to put a dent in this big ass box of beers from woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of citrus and hops. Taste is hoppy, pine, citrus, bitter, tasty and enjoyable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a flavorful and quality beer.

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16oz tallboy can, no clear canning date. Poured into a snifter 5/12/2014.

A- Slightly hazy & dark copper body, a bit darker than expected, with a two finger white head, some lacing.

S- Spent grains with a nice sweet caramel flavour, a nice stone fruit bite, some citrus and pine. Nice hop flavours, but overall not very aromatic in strength.

F- Caramel, grapefruit, tangerines, pine bitterness on the backend. Not complex but certainly hop-forward with a solid balance.

M- Medium bodied, good carbonation. Mildly bitter pine aftertaste that complements an otherwise dry finish.

O- Decent pale ale. In terms of local (to Madison, Wisconsin) beers, I definitely prefer Hopalicious by a good margin, especially as they both sell at a cheaper price point. Still, its canned format makes it a nice option for a nice cookout or trip to the beach.

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

Though I've had them mostly on tap, Lucette is moving towards one of those breweries who I'll try just about anything from. Pale Ale? In 16 oz. cans? Reasonable price? Done. One for me, one for my wife.

Pour is a nice, sunny (well, I can imagine I remember what the sun looks like) orange, filtered, looks very pale-like. Nose works like a subsistence farmer, some of the strongest floral hops I can recall sniffing, pale malt backing peels off, spare spices. Like.

Ride Again rolls over a well-traveled highway; the hot promise of the nose doesn't quite translate to the taste. Floral hops are only slightly bitter (still under 20, probably), & mingled easily with the pale malts on the tongue. Vague spices resolve into a more sinister batch of citrus. Easy to drink, this one should go down well on a hot day.

Nice beer that really started with a bang; if Lucette could can that smell, they'd have a stunner. As is a very good beer that I really warmed to as I worked through the glass.

4.01/5  rDev +2.8%

A-Golden coored...nice white head and lacing on glass.

S-Pretty malty on the aroma....nice....toasted caramel...also some nice floral hop notes mix in gently....

T-A balanced APA that drinks real nicely...nice malty front to this but the floral hops really lend a nice touch.

M-Maybe a bit overcarbonated...body seems a bit light in the shorts....

O-If you are rating this I suggest drinking a couple first as this really is growing on me as I type this. I thought this had more hoppiness when I had it on tap about a year ago but I'm getting some tasting hop burps right now so it's not like this is lacking...It's certainly not a hop bomb but I love the balance and drinkability of this...very nice sessionable pale ale

Ride Again from Lucette Brewing Company