Farmer's Daughter | Lucette Brewing Company

lucettebrewing.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Added by Greggy on 11-02-2011

3.39/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Here is another example of "it pays to advertise". I recently attended the Great Taste of the Midwest, having missed only 2011 since 2004, and I came upon Lucette B.C. with CANs on display. I inquired if I could have a couple at the end of the fest and they were happy to meet me and promised me some of their CANs. I stupidly forgot to mark their location and so my beer companion and I were rushing around to find them as time ran out. They actually wanted to give me a sixer, but I could not handle the volume so I just took two.

From the CAN: "Craft beer, hand crafted"; "Blonde Ale Brewed with Spices"; "Friendly with a glass"; "Meet Lucette ... Lucette is hand-crafted by guys and brought to life by the artistry of a woman. Don't be offended or embarrassed by her voluptuous curves or stunning assets - she isn't. Lucette is an image or revolution and evolution, much like experiencing a non-macro beer for the first time./And what's more, she is created from the finest ingredients by the hands of our own brewers, at our own brewery, and not by some mysterious brewery far away from 'home'. In other words, she is not fake, diluted, or overproduced - she is 100% Lucette./Enjoy her with friends. Enjoy her with family. Just enjoy the $#!@ out of her 'cause to us Lucette represents two things: A GREAT BEER AND A GOOD TIME. [undersigned by four] Cofounder[s]."

But if this is a Blonde Ale, why is she portrayed as a brunette? Oh well, come to the Woodman, baby! The Crack gave me a good squirt of beer, leading me to wonder about her hidden talents. The Glug was a bit more cooperative, resulting in just over a finger of dense, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention. The color was a bright golden-yellow with just a slight haze in evidence. Nose had a vanilla sweetness along with an odd mustiness, perhaps yeast-driven, perhaps from the spices mentioned on the CAN. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was mild with an odd mustiness that made me think of saisons more than an ABA. Finish was semi-dry and while it was refreshing, one was probably enough. Color me underwhelmed.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pint-sized can:

Pours hazed deep golden. A creamy white head tops it off. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of light vague fruitiness, slightly musty yeast, very mild/vague spicing.

The taste is of vague fruitiness (banana?), with sweet honey with black pepper-like spice in the soft finish.

Creamy smooth and refreshing.

Not bad, though not much really stands out. Still, it is light, inoffensive and easy-to-drink, and about better (mostly because of creaminess and the light spicing) than the average blonde ale

3.32/5  rDev -7.3%

Lucette The Farmer's Daughter, Craft beer, hand crafted {is that how they do it?}, Blonde Ale Brewed with Spices, 1 pint can, 4.8% ABV., Lucette Brewing Company, Menomenie, WI.

Clear, golden color, thin, soon gone head.

Aroma: clean, fairly simple, some citrus fruit, some spice, a touch creamy.

Hey, if it's a "blonde ale", why is the titular Farmer's daughter in the label illustration a brunette? I like her fine like that, but it just seems a more natural choice to picture here as a blonde.

Anyway! The taste! Here we go!
Wet, soft, smooth, easy drinker. Light body. Faint finish. There's mildness all over here. Very light spice (whatever they are), very light hops. Creamy and sweet. But…not for me. Too far on the side of safe and insipid, although I'm sure it's exactly what they want it to be, and I'm sure it's a heck of a hit, for what it's worth.

Let's read more into the label: "Lucette…Lucette is a hand-crafted by guys and brought to life by the artistry of a woman. Don't be offended or embarrassed by her voluptuous curves of stunning assets--she isn't. Lucette is an image of revolution and evolution, much like experiencing a non-macro beer for the first time.
{Odd choice of phrase, that, for "macro" was coined by the macros themselves to oppose to "Micro."}
Okay, there's more…"And what's more, she is created from the finest ingredients of the hands of our own brewers, at our own brewery, and not by some mysterious brewery far away from "home." In other words, she is not fake, diluted, or overproduced--she is 100% Lucette.
Enjoy her with friends. Enjoy her with family. Just enjoy the $#!@ out of her 'cause to us Lucette represents two things: A GREAT BEER AND A GOOD TIME."

I'm just going to leave that with no comment. Except that I left one thing out. One top of that copy is the phrase "Friendly with a glass", which I suppose means you should pour it into one, but a very odd phrase.

3.15/5  rDev -12%

This beer comes by way of the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, a touch of spice. Taste is light, mild, malts, a bit of spice, easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and overall I found this to be a mediocre beer.

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours hazy orange under a 2” sudsy white foam cap that quickly dissipates.
S: some coriander on the nose with hints of orange
T: Light malt, spice, citrus, yeast, pepper on the finish.
F: Rich and creamy with medium body and light medium very soft carbonation.
O: A spicy, refreshing summer beer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I guess it's ok. Poured at a good temperature with aggression for a small, off-white head that soon settled to none and no lace. Color is a clear yellow and some small bubble trails. Aroma is a very mild beery, hint of fruit and malt. Flavor's like nose, a bit more malty and fruity along with some carbonic tang and a tad bitter. Body is good while carbonation a little flat. Finish is like flavor. Fairly forgettable and of average length although there's strangely a little booziness.

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A decent enough low ABV sessionable ale. Grainy maltiness accented by a sweeter herbal dimension. I like the flavor but it is a bit unique. Started off our SB party last week with a couple of these and thought I got a light citrus hoppiness but I am not tasting that today....just a lot of grainy notes.

I like the SIX 16 ounce cans this was packaged as. Price was reasonable. I love their pale ale which I get on tap at Groveland but this is a step down from that. Can't wait till the pale ale hits cans. This would be a decent summer picnic beer though....decent not great...

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Golden colored with a thin layer of white suds adorning the top. Some decent lacing also.

Grainy, mildly sweet, light spice.

Very much like the nose, but there is more of a hop spice component along with a honey sweetness. Quite flavorful for a blonde and finishes very clean.

Light-medium body, mildly crisp and very clean on the palate.

I think I would appreciate this beer more if it were 80 degrees or more out right now. For the style, I will say it does have some nice character and separates from the crowed a bit in the flavor department. Good brew.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.47/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale gold color with just over one finger of head that quickly gave way to a thin skim of suds. A few specks of lacing is left down the glass.

A little bit more to the aroma than a typical, boring blond ale. The spices that are added comes through. But there is not much else going on in the aroma.

I wonder how well this beer would go over if it did not have spices added. Seems to be the only thing the flavor has going for it. Tastes like a mild witbier. Mild wheat and bready notes. Bitterness is low.

Light body and not as well carbonated as i would prefer. Would like a more lively feel.

Not the most interesting beer but still has some nice qualities. Pretty good value with the six, 16oz. cans.

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +8.4%

Farmer's Daughter poured a bright golden clear color, with a nice head. There was a nice mellow hoppy smell. The taste was just a bit light, but had a nice hoppy backbone, good floral flavors. Easy to drink, not overpowering. Overall a very good beer, nothing crazy, or super strong, but its very easy to drink and enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%