2x4 DIPA | Melvin Brewing / Thai Me Up

Melvin Brewing / Thai Me Up
Wyoming, United States
melvinbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Dear (insert your name here), This is the best damn DIPA in the world. So if you were even considering sulking today, think again. Our 2x4 Double IPA is the Gold Winner of numerous note-worthy awards, including the Alpha King Championship; two years in a row and counting. You'd be crazy not to drink this. So close your eyes, open up, and experience the mad floral, citrusy, and clean taste of hop talent. If you don't love it, no...... you will.

100+ IBU

Added by Bitterbill on 10-19-2010

#586

Reviews by Juicer:
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On draught at the Keg & Cork in Casper.

Poured into a 10 ounce globe.

Arrives filled to max with minimal head of foam. Yes, I believe that to be a proper serving of a double digit DIPA.

The smell is all sorts of tropical fruit..mango pineapple. With an abundant sweetness from the malt. Smell is slightly boozy.

The taste. Yeah the taste. Tropical fruit glazes then sticks to my tongue. Youzza. There's still some of that grapefruit goodness mixed in with that ample malty character that I noted in the smell.

There IS a more than a hint of the alcohol in the taste; minor flaw. Tip: if you want to experience everything that this beer offers, swish it in your mouth.

Which brings me to the mouthfeel. Lightly carbonated near full bodied.

I have been bitchin to Melvin like forever to make their beers available to the rest of Wyoming. They just did and I couldn't be happier.

4.16/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Canned 5 weeks ago.

L -- Pours a slightly hazed pale orange body with a dense three-finger white head produced with moderate pour. Great retention and lacing
S -- Dank weed, pine, new sneaker, citrus, and a hint of floral
T -- Resinous pine, pithy grapefruit, bready malts, herbaceous floral, honey. For each bitter flavor, there is a juicy-sweet flavor to offset it
F -- Semi-sweet, although a lot of the sweetness is obscured by the intense hopping. Medium mouthfeel, medium carb. Moderately fluffy
O -- This is a big DIPA that highlights some of the great American hops. The aromas in particular remind me a lot of Heady, actually. Can't quite justify the $14/4-pack of 12 oz cans, but at the same time it's insane to me (in a good way) that brewers as small as Melvin are starting to appear in the Boston area market.

84/100

I've waited for ages to try this, and I was certainly not let down. Incredibly juicy hop profile featuring pine, multi-layered citrus and tropical fruits which are overlayed on a relatively light and powdery malt background. the overall effect is like a highly hopped, fruity marmalade, with the malt contributing a bit more sweetness than I had anticipated. The brew is beautifully balanced from star to remarkably lengthy finish. It's easy to taste why this flavor monster snagged two Alpha King championships in a row. This is the new bottled version, and I hear it's as good as the draft.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at the Falling Rock.

A bit hazier than I like, but the nose is full of hop danky goodness (like pine needles and mint) that's unlike most of its kind. Flavor follows the same path with a clean malt profile and medium, creamy body. And despite the high ABV and hop-focus it's surprisingly balanced and easy to throw down the neck hole; although the brewer recommended that I use a straw; no joke.

Glad I got a chance to try it.

My first ever beer review. Which is appropriate because this is the beer I've been waiting my whole life for. Smells like God just walked by. Tastes like tortured love. Punches like an innocent being dragged off to a life in the slammer. Hops? I guess it's hoppy. If by Hoppy you mean Holy Shi*t I can't believe this is in my mouth right now. The word BOOYAH was created to describe this beer. Run, don't walk, to Jackson Hole. Buy me some extra while you're there!

My favorite DIPA - absolutely flawless! I started a BA account just to give this brew a rating.

Seriously.

Melvin knows how to brew some hoppy beers. Its a must try!

4.81/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium golden amber with a fine, half finger white head with great retention and lacing. Hop aromas are distinct on opening and pouring. Aroma of caramel malt, citrus, dank and piney hops, lemon, orange, grapefruit and light tropical fruit. Smells really good. Flavor is well integrated caramel malt, resinous piney and citrus hops with some dankness, tropical and citrus fruit juice. Nice mildly estery light fruit and resinous piney and citrus hop finish with lingering fruity hop flavors. Great lightly creamy body and mouth feel. Like the last Melvin IPA I tried, the first thought is "smooth", the next is "how did they get these intense resinous hops to be smooth?". But there it is. Wonderful integration of malt and hops, awesome finish and lingering flavors that invite savoring. Alcohol well covered. Really a world class IPA and that's saying a lot in a world of incredible examples of this style. Highly recommended. Probably deserves a 10, but I'll be conservative.

4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

Big orange and pine aroma. Also some mango and earth. Very nice and complex.
Taste starts with an intense blast of orange and fruit. Pine is very present here along with an overwhelming juiciness. Sweet-but-not-too-sweet malts are in the background along with some earthy dankness. The aftertaste has a substantial bitter bite and a warm alcohol glow. This is an absolutely phenomenal DIPA. On par with the very best DIPAs at a much more affordable price and easy availability. A must-try.

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

At last, the return of #WyomingWednesday thanks to a snow day off from school! #BumptheHump I CANnot tell you how excited I was when we began getting Melvin beers here in PA & even more so since they were in CANs. It was a CANQuest (tm) coup!

From the CAN: "If your beer is not madness, it's not beer"; "Dear Enjoyer, 2x4 has a stupid amount of hops, layered on a light malt base that gives way to notes of pine, citrus and tropical fruit. While there are many great beer styles from the past, think of this as a beer from the future."; "Don't hate, party."; "Recycle Sucka!"

Sadly, this sucka no longer recycles his spent (especially) craft CANs as they now get rinsed out & picked up by Jeff Lebo of www.cansmartbeercans.com for the CANlection. Word is that a "Woody Wing" may have to be CANstructed.

I Crack!ed the CAN open & CANsidered my next move before going with a gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. Once acCANplished, an in-glass swirl gave rise (ha ha) to just under three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with good retention that left moderate lacing in its wake. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was an interesting admixture of grapefruit and pineapple with a caramel sweetness. Kind of like pineapple upside-down cake or baked, caramelized pineapple with a dose of citrusy bitterness. This is going to be interesting! Mouthfeel was medium, but kind of thin for a DIPA. Oooh, man, I could immediately feel the alcohol burn on my tongue with that first sip! Pine and grapefruit were the leaders in terms of its taste, followed by honeydew and pineapple with a caramel breadiness. Wow! If I was less-than-enthused about Citradamus, this more than made up for its shortcomings. This was the sort of thing that I really dig in a DIPA - definitely hoppy, but not so crazy that I CAN't think straight afterwards. Instead, this was just bitter enough to trip my trigger while causing me to giggle from the sweetness. The ABV may have also had something to do with my euphoria, but let's not dwell on that. Finish was dry, but cool, almost minty in its refreshing hoppiness. This has renewed my faith in the Melvins!

4.91/5  rDev +13.7%

This was my beer oasis. Locally, Jackson has some good breweries, but this beer blew me away. Heady Topper clone all the way, but my god, did they hit it on the nose!!!! Unreal DIPA goodness. If available, I would buy no other beer locally. If you are ever lucky enough to visit Jackson Hole Wyoming, this needs to be your first stop, before you go to your hotel or hit the mountain... stop here first and drink a 2X4!!!! Not only was this beer a flavor explosion, but the brew master and locals where top notch people. Yes, my 3 Floyds shirt did get me some street credit and a tour, but these guys are just the finest people you will meet. Thai Me Up and 2x4 are hidden treasures I will not soon forget! I have only tasted a beer this good once before and it came from that famous silver can! This beer is one for the angels!!!!

Hazy, but refractive, amber pour with one finger of rapidly diminishing head.

Juicy, remarkably complex aromas and flavors, featuring pine needles, grapefruit, mandarin orange, tangerine, peach, pineapple, apricot, and mango, and just a hint of catnip and mint. Powdery texture that is neither too thick, nor too thin. This really wraps itself around the taste buds, and digs in for an incredibly lengthy finish, while somehow managing to also be very soft and gentle on the palate, as paradoxical as that may sound.

This is, without doubt, my new favorite DIPA.

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So clear, so golden in color. What a vast departure of my local brews. A pure white head, and this or one of the crisper, cleaner looking IPAs out there. Add to that consistent lacing and it's definitely a looker.

Dank grass and resinous pine. Candied orange, pineapple and grapefruit. More sweet/floral than citrus.

Woo. This beer didn't hide its strength. It's cold here, and I definitely noticed a rise in temperature inside me. Medium body. Outer layer of crisp carb. Ends with a powdery bitterness.

Might be me but this reminds me a lot of Southern Tier's Krampus. Dank, piney and festive representations of Simcoe and seasonal orange. It has the warmth to boot and a cretain rawness in the feel.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

12 oz. Can
Canned On: 021417

Poured into a tulip a very nice clean/clear dark golden yellowish color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick/creamy two-finger white head, which also leaves some very nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, very nice sweetness, very nice citrus notes, very nice pine note. The taste is very nice hoppy, nice sweetness, citrusy, piney. Medium body, ABV hidden very well, very nice chewyness, with a very nice dry/bitter finish. Overall, this is still a very tasty brew. Definitely would like to see other Melvins around GJ. Highly Recommended!

12 oz. Can
9.9% ABV

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden yellowish color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick/creamy one-finger white head, which also leaves some very nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, very nice sweetness, very nice citrus notes, very nice pine note. The taste is very nice hoppy, nice sweetness, citrusy, piney. Full/Medium body, ABV hidden very well, very nice chewyness, with a very nice dry/bitter finish. Overall, my 2nd from this brewery, and it KICKS ASS! Highly Recommended!

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

355ml can poured into tulip 31/1/2017

A light golden yellow, some very fine suspended particles being moved around by just a couple slow bubbles that manage a thumbs width of foam that leaves just a few random patches

S pineapple, passion fruit, guava, lemon and other citrus, floral honey, some pine, and a hint of booze

T more lemon and pine, some booze popping up stronger, burnt brown sugar but just a tiny bit, tastes good but the nose takes it

M has weight, bitter and boozy, sticky on the lips and slick inside, some lemon rind and pine linger

O a little hot now and then but solid overall, I was loving the nose but that world class smell didn't carry forward into other areas

I preferred the "light" IPA from these guys over this one, a little more then I want to spend at 5$ for short can

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz can. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a slightly cloudy medium orange body, one finger white head with good retention, lots of lacing on the contralateral side of the glass as I drink it. Medium collar. Smells of a big burst of grapefruit and pine with an equally big burst of caramel and sweet citrus, if that makes sense. Whoa. It's going to be a nice one, I can tell by just smelling it. Flavour is a huge burst of grapefruit and caramel with an equally strong kick of pine on the finish. It's complex enough for a hop-forward beer, but the malt and hops are both there in huge quantities, such that they don't balance each other out. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's what I like from a big IPA. No booziness at all, a big dry finish with a touch of toffee. Mouthfeel is full bodied, almost syrupy without being off-putting, a bit too easy to drink for a nearly 10% DIPA. I am not sure that this is a DIPA, it is almost straddling that border where it should be a triple IPA, and it is pretty much a great triple IPA to me at this point.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-This "Quadruple Pale Ale" pours a relatively clear, soft orange hue. Head swells up and slowly exhales leaving lacing rings.

S-A symphony of luscious hoppy notes. Macerated tropical fruits and a full glass of grapefruit juice. Very impressed with the level of hoppiness in the nose. There is also a clear, thick maltiness that was of sweet bread and biscuit.

T-This was so interesting because at first sip I wasn't enamored all too much. Every sip after, I loved it more and more. The girth of the malt was at first too much, I thought. Then I noticed how well the hops and malt worked with one another. Big on both ends, with a huge, pressing tropical and citrusy hoppiness. It's honeyed sweetness complemented the aggressive hoppiness in a magnificent fashion. Unique, and although it took me a while to warm up to it, I ended up loving the flavor.

M-Big bodied. A bit creamy. Very bitter. Aftertaste lasts for days. Alcohol well hidden. Softer carbonation. Resiny.

O-Boy did this one grow on me. By the end of my glass I realized that it was one of the better beers I have had in quite some time. I was mostly unaware of this beer. Another brew I will probably never try again. Still very happy to try it at least once!

NEVER taken the time to rate a beer before. This Pacific Northwest girl and wife of a homebrewer KNOWS her IPAs. There is not a single thing I dislike about this beer, other than it whoops your ass like an angry mother. I would marry it if I could. Aggressively bittered and dry hopped to eternity, if they made this into a perfume I would wear it. And the boys would come running. The only thing that tops the smell is the taste - complex, well-balanced, and smooth despite it's high ABV. If you try this beer and don't like it, you deserve to be punched in the face. Sip slowly, enjoy the taste of hop perfection and buy me one if you see the blonde girl sitting at the bar!

Pleasingly surprised by the hopiness melding away into a malty type sweetness with each drink. World Class to Universal Class easily obtainable with the
out of this world quality of the brew. Way to go Thai Man ...

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a quadruple pale ale huh? these names have juse become meaningless now, with no distinction whatsoever, i think its a bit absurd, but at least the beer tastes good. this one is cool because it doesnt have the body from the a lot of heavy grain, but that also doesnt leave it exposed, its nto alcoholically hot at all, and packs a heavy hop punch. i think the varietals are mostly familiar, nothing radical on the ingredient list, but the way the come together is bright and polished, fruity enough but primarily furiously intense bitterness and resinous texture. balance isnt the intent here i dont think, and under normal circumstances it might be too much, but because the beer is so dry, and because the booze never shows, it stays pretty doable for what it is. im not as floored by these guys so far as others seem to me, anointing them the best of the mountain division here, but their hoppy beer is real solid. not earth shattering by any means, but different enough and super fresh.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25