2x4 DIPA | Thai Me Up / Melvin Brewing

2x4 DIPA2x4 DIPA

Thai Me Up / Melvin Brewing
Wyoming, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Dear (insert your name here), This is the best damn DIPA in the world. So if you were even considering sulking today, think again. Our 2x4 Double IPA is the Gold Winner of numerous note-worthy awards, including the Alpha King Championship; two years in a row and counting. You'd be crazy not to drink this. So close your eyes, open up, and experience the mad floral, citrusy, and clean taste of hop talent. If you don't love it, no...... you will.

100+ IBU

Added by Bitterbill on 10-19-2010

Reviews: 58 | Ratings: 297

My first ever beer review. Which is appropriate because this is the beer I've been waiting my whole life for. Smells like God just walked by. Tastes like tortured love. Punches like an innocent being dragged off to a life in the slammer. Hops? I guess it's hoppy. If by Hoppy you mean Holy Shi*t I can't believe this is in my mouth right now. The word BOOYAH was created to describe this beer. Run, don't walk, to Jackson Hole. Buy me some extra while you're there!

My favorite DIPA - absolutely flawless! I started a BA account just to give this brew a rating.

Seriously.

Melvin knows how to brew some hoppy beers. Its a must try!

Hazy, but refractive, amber pour with one finger of rapidly diminishing head.

Juicy, remarkably complex aromas and flavors, featuring pine needles, grapefruit, mandarin orange, tangerine, peach, pineapple, apricot, and mango, and just a hint of catnip and mint. Powdery texture that is neither too thick, nor too thin. This really wraps itself around the taste buds, and digs in for an incredibly lengthy finish, while somehow managing to also be very soft and gentle on the palate, as paradoxical as that may sound.

This is, without doubt, my new favorite DIPA.

NEVER taken the time to rate a beer before. This Pacific Northwest girl and wife of a homebrewer KNOWS her IPAs. There is not a single thing I dislike about this beer, other than it whoops your ass like an angry mother. I would marry it if I could. Aggressively bittered and dry hopped to eternity, if they made this into a perfume I would wear it. And the boys would come running. The only thing that tops the smell is the taste - complex, well-balanced, and smooth despite it's high ABV. If you try this beer and don't like it, you deserve to be punched in the face. Sip slowly, enjoy the taste of hop perfection and buy me one if you see the blonde girl sitting at the bar!

Pleasingly surprised by the hopiness melding away into a malty type sweetness with each drink. World Class to Universal Class easily obtainable with the
out of this world quality of the brew. Way to go Thai Man ...

On draught at the Keg & Cork in Casper.

Poured into a 10 ounce globe.

Arrives filled to max with minimal head of foam. Yes, I believe that to be a proper serving of a double digit DIPA.

The smell is all sorts of tropical fruit..mango pineapple. With an abundant sweetness from the malt. Smell is slightly boozy.

The taste. Yeah the taste. Tropical fruit glazes then sticks to my tongue. Youzza. There's still some of that grapefruit goodness mixed in with that ample malty character that I noted in the smell.

There IS a more than a hint of the alcohol in the taste; minor flaw. Tip: if you want to experience everything that this beer offers, swish it in your mouth.

Which brings me to the mouthfeel. Lightly carbonated near full bodied.

I have been bitchin to Melvin like forever to make their beers available to the rest of Wyoming. They just did and I couldn't be happier.

I've waited for ages to try this, and I was certainly not let down. Incredibly juicy hop profile featuring pine, multi-layered citrus and tropical fruits which are overlayed on a relatively light and powdery malt background. the overall effect is like a highly hopped, fruity marmalade, with the malt contributing a bit more sweetness than I had anticipated. The brew is beautifully balanced from star to remarkably lengthy finish. It's easy to taste why this flavor monster snagged two Alpha King championships in a row. This is the new bottled version, and I hear it's as good as the draft.

4.96/5  rDev +12.5%

Big orange and pine aroma. Also some mango and earth. Very nice and complex.
Taste starts with an intense blast of orange and fruit. Pine is very present here along with an overwhelming juiciness. Sweet-but-not-too-sweet malts are in the background along with some earthy dankness. The aftertaste has a substantial bitter bite and a warm alcohol glow. This is an absolutely phenomenal DIPA. On par with the very best DIPAs at a much more affordable price and easy availability. A must-try.

4.91/5  rDev +11.3%

This was my beer oasis. Locally, Jackson has some good breweries, but this beer blew me away. Heady Topper clone all the way, but my god, did they hit it on the nose!!!! Unreal DIPA goodness. If available, I would buy no other beer locally. If you are ever lucky enough to visit Jackson Hole Wyoming, this needs to be your first stop, before you go to your hotel or hit the mountain... stop here first and drink a 2X4!!!! Not only was this beer a flavor explosion, but the brew master and locals where top notch people. Yes, my 3 Floyds shirt did get me some street credit and a tour, but these guys are just the finest people you will meet. Thai Me Up and 2x4 are hidden treasures I will not soon forget! I have only tasted a beer this good once before and it came from that famous silver can! This beer is one for the angels!!!!

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. Can
9.9% ABV

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden yellowish color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick/creamy one-finger white head, which also leaves some very nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, very nice sweetness, very nice citrus notes, very nice pine note. The taste is very nice hoppy, nice sweetness, citrusy, piney. Full/Medium body, ABV hidden very well, very nice chewyness, with a very nice dry/bitter finish. Overall, my 2nd from this brewery, and it KICKS ASS! Highly Recommended!

4.81/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium golden amber with a fine, half finger white head with great retention and lacing. Hop aromas are distinct on opening and pouring. Aroma of caramel malt, citrus, dank and piney hops, lemon, orange, grapefruit and light tropical fruit. Smells really good. Flavor is well integrated caramel malt, resinous piney and citrus hops with some dankness, tropical and citrus fruit juice. Nice mildly estery light fruit and resinous piney and citrus hop finish with lingering fruity hop flavors. Great lightly creamy body and mouth feel. Like the last Melvin IPA I tried, the first thought is "smooth", the next is "how did they get these intense resinous hops to be smooth?". But there it is. Wonderful integration of malt and hops, awesome finish and lingering flavors that invite savoring. Alcohol well covered. Really a world class IPA and that's saying a lot in a world of incredible examples of this style. Highly recommended. Probably deserves a 10, but I'll be conservative.

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served in a shaker pint on tap

A - Mostly clear pale straw with a 1 finger eggshell head with good froathy head retention and moderate lacing

S - Strong tropical and citrus fruits with a big emphasis on mango, grapefruit, apricots.

T - A nice balance of mild bitteness, touch of alcohol, and big tropical fruit notes with a suprising large malt presence. Most DIPA utilize yeast that process all the fermentable sugars to let the hops shine, but this beers seems to showcase the hops well while still staying pretty sweet. Despite the sweetness very palatable, I could drink this all day!

M - Light body, moderate carbonation, alcholol is ridiculously well hidden, I almost doubt the near 10% rating they have on this one.

O - Freaking amazing. One of the brewers was kind enough to chat it up with me and gave me a mini tour. Mad props, can't wait to come back to see their progress. Drink this beer and everything they have as you won't be dissappointed.

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Amazing find. Living in the northwest I've come to miss the availability of Pliny but this will make you forget all about that. This should be on every IPA fans list of beers to try before you die. This beer is a little pricey but 9.99 for a four pack of 12oz cans sounds better that what most people on here were paying. I did find it on tap at Imbibe in Maple Valley and it was transcendent.

4.71/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

An absolutely spectactular beer. This is a very "west-coast" style IPA with lots of pine and "dank" taste. This reminded me a lot of Pliny the Elder, which is high praise indeed. It hides the alcohol amazingly well. Typicall 10%+ beers tend to be more malty and closer to a hoppy barley wine for me, but this one tasted like a perfectly melded hop/great malt backbone combination. Don't miss this if you are in Jackson.

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Highly drinkable DIPA. Taste and feel conceal high ABV. Pours beautifully with good head and strong lacing. Big citrus, piney nose. In a class with Heady Topper and Julius.

4.66/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The best thing to ever come out of Wyoming, sorry Buffalo Bill. Light on the malt and heavy on the hops! This is what a IIPA should be, none of that sweet mess you get with others. Now that we finally have this in Colorado it is sure to be in my fridge whenever it hits town.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I worked at Thai Me Up, and when this beer would come on tap in the summer of 2014, it would sell out within an hour of the keg being tapped. The beer was that superb. I was spoiled to work there and have such access to this superb nectar of the gods. 2x4 is big and delicious, with apparent and big hops, and despite its high ABV, is remarkably smooth, and has fantastic citrus notes of grapefruit. This thing can be dangerous, but aren't the best things in life? Can't wait for these guys to start distributing this glorious brew, if you're in Jackson Hole, stop and see if you're lucky enough that this bad boy is on tap.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. This is not a West Coast IIPA at all. This is as close to the awesome IPAs coming out of New England as I've ever had out west. It reminds me of a more balanced version of Substance but double the alcohol. Amazing how well the alcohol is hidden with hardly any malt taste. I haven't had any Barley Brown or any Younger but to me this is the best IIPA I've had out west, and I've had most. It's not as fruity as Tree House or Trillium and not quite as well balanced as SOS but man is it good. Personally I could
Do without the simcoe but that's splitting hairs. Can't wait until the brewery opens in a few months. I'll be making the trip on a regular basis!

4.63/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Type: 10-oz. draft
Glass: Plain teku (like) glass
From: Hamilton’s Tavern in South Park (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $9.00
Purchased: Feb. 4, 2016
Consumed: Feb. 4, 2016
Misc.: Release day and only bar in California featuring Melvin

Had never heard of this beer or Melvin Brewing until a few weeks ago when Nick texted me that Hamilton’s would be the only place in California for 2x4 day. Still wasn’t sold, but snuck out of work early to see what the fuss was about. Place was packed, but I was lucky to find a seat when two jokers left with the rush. A bit skeptical heading in, but hoping for something fantastic. Will be shorter review because of locations and atmosphere.

Tough to see at Hamilton’s, but poured an orangeish, pale, clear color with 1-to-2 fingers of frothy white head when I got it. Excellent lacing on the sides of the glass. Good retention on the top all the way down. (Sight - 4.25)

Smelled tropical notes, dank resin, Simcoe, Citra and floral. Hops I tell you. (Smell - 4.25)

Taste was so much better, getting Citra, grapefruit, floral, tropical, pineapple, dankness, resin (but not as much as the nose) and Simcoe. Could practically taste the pulp. Not boozy or bitter. Just awesome. (Taste - 4.75)

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, citrusy finish. Perfect for the style. (Feel - 5.00)

Just an awesome beer overall. Thanks for pointing this out, Nick! (Overall - 4.75)

4.63 | 100 | A

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love IPA's above all others. It's my sworn duty as PNWestern man after all. This double IPA is delicious. Extraordinarily drinkable for a double, and that's that problem. 9.9%!!! You don't taste that alcohol, but good god do you feel it. It's too delicious. I should stop at two (12 oz cans) but I have to drink a third, it's that good...and then I'm walking home.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Slightly hazy pale gold color with a very frothy rocky head that takes a little while to dissipate a little bit of lacing but not too much.

S: Starts quite piney, but as it warms up a lot more citrus, and ripe tropical fruits plus some banana and light hints of toasted malt. Exactly how a DIPA should smell.

T: Lots of tropical fruit and banana and citrus. Piney bitterness comes in too. The bitterness is not overwhelming but it is definitely there. I notice very little alcohol for a beer of this abv.

F: Very creamy and easy drinking for the abv

O: One of the best DIPAs I have had.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-This "Quadruple Pale Ale" pours a relatively clear, soft orange hue. Head swells up and slowly exhales leaving lacing rings.

S-A symphony of luscious hoppy notes. Macerated tropical fruits and a full glass of grapefruit juice. Very impressed with the level of hoppiness in the nose. There is also a clear, thick maltiness that was of sweet bread and biscuit.

T-This was so interesting because at first sip I wasn't enamored all too much. Every sip after, I loved it more and more. The girth of the malt was at first too much, I thought. Then I noticed how well the hops and malt worked with one another. Big on both ends, with a huge, pressing tropical and citrusy hoppiness. It's honeyed sweetness complemented the aggressive hoppiness in a magnificent fashion. Unique, and although it took me a while to warm up to it, I ended up loving the flavor.

M-Big bodied. A bit creamy. Very bitter. Aftertaste lasts for days. Alcohol well hidden. Softer carbonation. Resiny.

O-Boy did this one grow on me. By the end of my glass I realized that it was one of the better beers I have had in quite some time. I was mostly unaware of this beer. Another brew I will probably never try again. Still very happy to try it at least once!

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Straw yellow with a bubbly white head that hangs around
Smell: Fruity hops and more hops. Grapefruit, orange, grass, lemons, fragrant pine.
Taste: Lightly malted, grassy and pine-y, hop bomb. Grapefruit and orange juice that is noted in the smell show here as well.
Feel: Resiny, medium heavy mouthfeel, smooth going down, no notable alcohol burn
Overall: I prefer Belgians to IPAs, let alone DIPAs, and this was good enough to overcome my bias. Would get again.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy orange with a bubbly, beige head that invites you to take a sip. The head's bubbling is tight and well formed. Head retention is moderate, with good lacing. Aroma is hoppy with notes of resin, dank, pine, and citrus. The aroma remains balanced and invites you to take a sip. Oranges, citrus, resin, and pine notes form a hoppy, balanced flavor profile that is fun to sip on in almost any occasion. The flavor lasts a while with a bit of resin/pine hop notes sticking for a while afterwards. Mouth feel is medium-thick, with a sticky, residue component. Overall, this is a very fun beverage that is easy to drink. It's a pleasure to sniff and sip.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Draft at B:30, PreFunk and then a bottle at home!! Pours the expected hop hazed light orange... foamy white head is pillowy and had great retention and lacing.

Huge tropical fruit/pithy citrus bowl in the nose and the palate... Great bitterness without ever being abrasive... Nearly perfectly balanced with some background pale malts that help carry the hoppiness.... Surprisingly drinkable given the ABV..

Had many/MANY world class DIPA's last weekend at the RBWG and I would handily put this up against any of them.

Legit.