Siberian Black Magic Panther - Scotch Barrel-Aged | Westbrook Brewing Co.

Siberian Black Magic Panther - Scotch Barrel-AgedSiberian Black Magic Panther - Scotch Barrel-Aged
3.45/5
Okay

Westbrook Brewing Co.
South Carolina, United States
westbrookbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

None provided.

3.67/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Served in a snifter glass from the bottle.

Appearance: Thick black body with medium bubbles with a dark tan head rising half a finger's length off the body. Settles with no stickiness to the glass and very defining body.

Smell: Smoked whiskey if that is even a thing. Smell comes and goes and can seriously be more potent.

Taste: Very complex taste, sweet and super smokey with a lighter whiskey feel. Has a soapy after taste which I am not sure where it's coming from, it is like a little too much wood infusion or maybe the barrels we're touch burnt. I have had many many barrel aged beers but this one is definitely not an improvement from the original blend.

Mouth: Medium carbonation with a heavy stickiness. Easily best property of the beer.

Overall: I went a little crazy and bought three of these bottles. I honestly thought this would been the original black magic panther on roids. Buy it if you like that smoke feel in your beer. Imperial stout which would be best partially used in a marinade. Salud!

4.02/5  rDev +16.5%

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I'm not the biggest smoked beer fan, but the char/smoke/peat in this blends perfectly with the base beer, at least to my palate. Thank you Westbrook for trying something different.

3.81/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice dark black with a creamy brown head.
Smells of smoke, booze, with a mild chocolate smell. Quite a bit of scotch on the nose.
Big time peaty/smokey flavor it is very assertive. This will be off putting to many but I am a fan of those flavors. The soy sauce/ medicinal note as mentioned by other is noticeable on the pallet. There is a nice bitter chocolate note on the finish.
Mouthfeel is pretty solid chewy to creamy.
If you like intense scotch, peaty, smokey flavors give it a shot.

1.33/5  rDev -61.4%

Concentrated liquid smoke and soy sauce!

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%

3.61/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I love the base stout, Siberian Black Magic Panther; and I love Laphroiag Scotch (per Westbrook's instagram page, the barrels used) BUT I am leery of a single malt Scotch being used to barrel age a beer - like gin or tequila, Scotch can (depending on the Scotch) have a medicinal, sharp element that doesn't strike me as complementary - particularly an Islay Scotch like Laphroaig, which is peaty, smoky, and can have iodine-like notes...

On the pour, a solid, rich black with little to no translucency that kicked up not much by way of bubbles and was a shiny sheet of black within a minute or two... Aromas produced much of what I expected, some sweet chocolaty stout aromas, sweetened with molasses, but also a peaty, herbal/medicinal aspect that I had mixed feelings about... The flavors followed in like kind, sweetness of the stout was there, but with that somewhat off-setting Scotch element... The merger of the two at times suggested deep fruits, like cherry in particular - although in some ways that was suggestive of cherry flavored cough syrup because of the iodine-like medicinal impressions... The feel was soft and smooth with a stickiness in the corner of the mouth, close to flat, carbonation-wise, and medium-full-bodied...

It's hard to say I'm liking it, but as with the few gin and tequila barrel beers I've had, I like the component flavors enough to continue drinking the beer, even though neither the beer nor the Scotch is improved in this marriage... I think you have to like peaty, medicinal Scotches a lot to enjoy this beer, so I can't quite recommend it for the majority, though Islay fans may find it worth the buy and try... $14.99 at Total Wine...

3.83/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Siberian Black Magic Panther - Scotch Barrel-Aged from Westbrook Brewing Co.