White Thai | Westbrook Brewing Co.

White ThaiWhite Thai

Westbrook Brewing Co.
South Carolina, United States
westbrookbrewing.com

Style: Witbier

This beer, inspired by the flavors of Southeast Asian cuisine, is a twist on the classic Belgian witbier style. Instead of the traditional coriander and orange peel spicing regimen, we add fresh lemongrass, ginger root, and a dash of Sorachi Ace hops. The result is a wonderfully refreshing ale with notes of lemon candy, citrus fruit, and a slight spiciness from the ginger. Best served at 45˚F in a tulip or wine glass.

Added by kkipple on 01-04-2011

4.84/5  rDev +26.7%

Thanks to instantmessenger for passing on a couple of these in a trade in support of The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "Ale brewed with spices"; "This beer, inspired by the flavors of Southeast Asian cuisine, is a twist on the classic Belgian witbier style. Instead of the traditional coriander and orange peel spicing regimen, we add fresh lemongrass, ginger root, and a dash of Sorachi Ace hops. The result is a wonderfully refreshing ale with notes of lemon [CAN]dy, citrus fruit, and a slight spiciness from the ginger."; "Best served at 45-50 [Deg.] F in a tulip or wine glass."

As it turns out, I have a tulip glass from Belgian Independence Day (21 July 2012) which I got at the celebration at the Bronx Ale House. Hooray! I used the inverted Crack & Glug and ended up with over two fingers of dense, bone-white head with great retention. Color was a very cloudy lemon-yellow and it looked like a glassful of lemon meringue pie. Nose was zesty with the lemongrass and the ginger seemingly fighting for supremacy. Mouthfeel was soft, like it was caressing my tongue and the melding of the flavors was beautiful. Lemon, definitely, but as to what type of CANdy they were alluding to, I do not know, Lots of nice ginger spiciness also and I was beginning to mull over which dishes I would order at a BYOB with a sixer of this in tow. Finish was very dry and very refreshing. This is just what The CANQuest (TM) ordered!

4.8/5  rDev +25.7%

Poured into a tulip glass from a growler.

Nice appearance as it is a light yellow and slightly cloudy. Head is long lasting and creamy white.

Smell has a light lemon aroma with just a touch of spice to it.

Taste is similar to the smell as you really get the lemongrass and ginger with just the right amount of wheat. The mouthfeel is what you expect from the style with just the right amount of carbonation and a light creaminess throughout.

This is one of Westbrook's year-round offerings and it has turned into one of my favorites. It is extremely drinkable at 5% and is a beer that I never get tired of. I cannot wait for this to be canned so I can always have a supply in the beer fridge.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.74/5  rDev +24.1%

Had a can while staying in Charleston. Holy cow! So delicious. On phone, so I'll keep it simple: smoothest, most balanced witbier I've ever had. Lost points for lacking spicyness they advertised. At 5% abv I could see myself drinking plenty of these.

4.72/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +21.5%

Had on tap at Foster's in Mount Pleasant. Go in and ask for Craig Foster - he knows more about beer than just about anyone in the Charleston area.

A - light and airy in appearance, not as cloudy as I was expecting.

S - Simply gorgeous. Citrus, lemon, and a touch of ginger. Very inviting.

T - Bright and fresh - the lemon and phenolic tang balace well to make this a beer that I could drink a lot of.

M - Nothing exceptional here, fairly light and easy.

D - Extremely drinkable. Smooth, refreshing.

4.64/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice pour out of a can into my bhb tulip glass... white head... nice and cloudy yellow hazy just like a wit should be. Smell is of spices, clove, banana... everything I want in this style is in the nose hopefully it translates to the taste... don't really get the promised asian spices and flavors but damn a very drinkable hefe style beer... really wanted to get the promised ginger which hurts the rating only because I don't get it though I love the beer..

4.54/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Chose my favorite beer for my first review!

It pours a hazy yellow with bleach white head, lots of carbonation and some lacing.

The smell has a lot of lemongrass, lemon zest, bread, and a little hint of herbal spice.

The flavors are blended very well with some lemon zest, lemon basil, wheat, tonic, and herbal spices.

It has a lot of carbonation for a beer and sits very light on the palate.

Overall, this is an excellent, very refreshing beer that seems to stay very consistent.

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

look was a little cloudier than expected. smells like a Belgian Wit. lemongrass is present, ginger is understated, the Sorachi Hops give it a nice finish. Mouthfeel was a bit more than a standard Wit. I would love to have this with roast duck or something sweet and sour.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

White Thai from Westbrook Brewing Co.