Lichtenhainer | Westbrook Brewing Co.

LichtenhainerLichtenhainer

Westbrook Brewing Co.
South Carolina, United States | website

Style: Berliner Weissbier

This is our interpretation of the traditional German Lichtenhainer Weisse style – a pale, sour, and smokey wheat ale. Beechwood smoked malt contributes a subtle bacon/ham aroma, followed by substantial lactic tartness backed up by doughy, grainy wheat. Prost!

Added by thagr81us on 02-14-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 35 | Ratings: 104

Bomber to tulip
Sampled 31JUL12
Bottled FEB132012

Thanks to rbradley (a fantastic trader) for the extra!

[A] Enormous pop upon uncorking. The head is strikingly white, foamy & airy and about 3 fingers high. Quick to deflate, the head is reduced to a thin bubbly surface, being sustained only by the persistent effervescence - which is highly visible. The body is a soft golden yellow, rich and vibrant. Great hue. Hazy with low transparency. No lacing.

[S] The beechwood smoked malt stands out above all else - including lacto and Brett. (Although I'm not even sure if the folks at Westbrook used Brett in this beer.) Salty ham, mesquite smoked bacon and some lacto buried underneath. Somewhat conflicting.

[T] The influence of bacteria takes control of the front end flavor. Beechwood smoke settles in next, then the wheaty base.

[M] Violent carbonation bites hard on the tongue. A few aggressive swirls are needed to bring the effervescence in line. Once you get past that, the light body is enhanced by a lemony vinegar-like acidity, providing a snappy refreshment. The intense bubbles add to a dry, very crisp finish. The acidity, however, keeps the salivary glands working in overdrive.

[O] Lichtenhainer is ABSOLUTELY a food pairing beer. In fact, I wouldn't want it any other way. The label suggests pretzels, wurst, sauerkraut and good mustard. All of the above sounds like the perfect compliment - but on its own merits, the beer isn't very easy to enjoy.
Nonetheless, I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to try this obscurity.

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance-Poured with a decent white head although it didn't last long. Color was around a four on the color scale with a hint of an orange tint.

Smell- A nice aroma for such as strange beer.

Taste- Smoke flavor was a bit overpowering but the sour wheat was present enough to get a solid taste

Mouth fee- lt was about medium.

Overall- As far as the complexity and uniqueness of this beer goes for what it is, it's top notch. As for my personal taste, I was unable to finish. Don't get me wrong, I like sour beers and I like smoke beers but, not rolled into one

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle - $6.99 at Sam's Beer & More in Lexington, South Carolina. Bottled on: FEB132012.

Appearance: Pours out a yellow body, fairly hazy, and, though an initial flourish of carbonation, no head formation beyond a thinnish, white ring.

Smell: Notes of medium-sized ham cubes, light wheat, lactic acid, and a small sulfury sniff. Now there's something you don't smell everyday.

Taste: Scant wheat malts, with very, very little sweetness upfront. Pass along a forkful of smoked ham bitlets. Pop of sourish lemon juice, hint of farmhouse cider and a creamy, coating lacic character. Well carbonated, puckeringly tart finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-high carbonation.

Overall: Unique. It's a beverage where, at the time of the final sip slipping down my gullet, I wasn't sure whether or not I actually liked it. OK, so, would I do it again? I'm not so sure about that, either. I'm all wingdings and question marks with this one.

3.59/5  rDev -9.1%

A smoked Berliner Weiss eh? Thanks Mike (Thorpe429) for the share. Served in a tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to nothing. Hazy pale yellow body.

S - Smoked malts and lactic sourness - pretty much what you'd expect from the description. Some wheat, grain, and sour mash flavors.

T - Taste is a little less interesting, as the smoke tends to dominate the palate. There's only some mild lactic sourness present, but it's mostly smoked meats and campfire. Still, pretty enjoyable.

M - Medium body, lower carbonation, and a mildly slimy texture.

D - An interesting, albeit not totally successful, take on the Berliner Weiss genre. I'd drink this again, but I wouldn't take the time to actively track it down.

3.61/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had during Brewvival 2012! Served from tap into a Brewvival sampler imperial pint. Poured yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, smoke, and skunk. The flavor was of sweet malt, skunk, wheat, smoke, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Out of all the offerings by Westbrook on the day, this one was my least favorite. I know that Berliners are supposed to be earthy by nature, but this one was just a little over the top in my opinion, maybe it was the smoke giving this effect... Not a lot of real balance going on here unfortunately. I still stand by the fact that Westbrook is brewing great things, but this one wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be. Still decent, but defniitely not their best out there. Worthy of seeking out for the true Berliner fan though.

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a wine glass. Clear golden with a small white head Smells meaty and acidic. Smells more savory than smokey. Lemon tartness and then it gets meaty. Almost salty and hammy. Grainy throughout and pretty sour. Light body with high carbonation. Fascinating flavor that I didn't think I would like. Nice surprise.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to beerbyrd for sending me out a few bottles of this. Served in a Mikasa tulip.

Pours a slightly-cloudy bright yellow-golden color with a single-finger white head that fades down to a thin collar fairly quickly without leaving much in the way of lacing.

The nose contains a good dose of smoke and wheat, though the smoke isn't completely over the top. It's certainly the dominant component though. As it warms up the smoke gives way to a light woodiness along with some light acidity.

The flavor is a good combination of smoke and wheat with a nice tartness coming through the finish. A touch of lemon in the background. Body is light and crisp with fairly-high carbonation.

An interesting concept and a fairly enjoyable beer. If only the nose were as nicely balanced as the flavor.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottled on FEB 13 2012

Pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a small but impressive white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of fairly strong smoke with just a hint of sourness buried in the burnt rubble of a nose. First sip is equally dominated by both sour and smoke and that’s way cool. There is plenty of wheat present supported by bacon and lemon flavors. Mouthfeel is spot on as it is light to medium carbonated which is just fine for this 5% ABV beer. I doubt this puppy would get more sour over time nor do I think it will age well. Not something I would seek out again but I salute Westbrook for pushing the envelope and producing this fairly obscure style.

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle into a tulip
no bottled on date (bottled on date space on the label left blank)

A: Pours a hazy, nearly opaque, dark yellow/brownish color; looks like of nasty actually. Less than 1/2 a fingers width of bright tan head builds but quickly dissipates away and leaves zero lacing. 2.75

S: It smells like ham, seriously, exactly like ham with the salty and meaty characteristics. There is some tartness and very subtle wheat on the back end. I don’t know what to think really. Its certainly like no other beer I’ve ever experienced. I like the aroma, its quite pleasant, but I don’t know how I feel about this aroma coming from a beer. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt because it is pleasant, and very unique. 3.75

T: Wow, much much more tart than I anticipated. Probably the most sour berliner weisse I’ve ever had. Lots of wheat characters as well. The huge ham-like character from the aroma is more muted in taste, although there are some smokey notes on the finish and a meat-esque character that grows throughout the drink. 4

M/D: Medium body, heavy carbonation, filling (presumably from the wheat and carbonation combo), drinkability is on the lower end due to the huge tartness. 3.5

O: My senses are terribly confused. This is like nothing I have ever had. I guess the components pair well together, I am enjoying it, but primarily due to the huge lactic tartness/sour characters. Not sure how much the smokiness/meaty characters do for me. I appreciate the uniqueness though. This is probably something I would drink again. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is bored with the standard beer offerings and whats to try something new and different. 4

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to kkipple for this one, shared with lots of great friends.

As I open it the bottle erupts but we catch most of it. There is a light fizzy head, hazy lemony yellow color.

Nose has light smoke, sour malts, light lemon zest and lemongrass, little tart and hint of wild funk, little yeasty and bready, light smoked bacon like that grows the more I smell it, sweet maple and even a little honey.

Taste has wheat to start, some sour tart lemony flavors, lemongrass, etc. Lots of smoke flavor but not overbearing, smoked bacon again, then some yeast, light funk, smooth light fruity and tart, acidity. Finish is dry, some yeast and hint of funk, acidity, tart lemon fruit, long but light and some smokey bacon.

Mouth is med bodied, lower carb since it erupted.

Overall OK, interesting and some nice characters and decent profile but not an amazing beer like it had the potential to.

3.87/5  rDev -2%

This is my first experience with a Berliner Weissbier, so it's hard to judge it against other ones in with in the style. Got this on draft at the Charleston Beer Exchange. It was a slightly hazy straw color, kind of a light fizzy head. Smell was more malt than hop and VERY citrusy, mostly of the lemon variety. Taste was very similar to the smell, but had a sourness that slaps you in the face with a slight smokiness to the finish. This was a nice style to try out, I think it would go great with the warmer months, hopefully they continue to make this through the summer.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

From 03/30/12 notes. Bottle shared by Thorpe429 to start off our mini-Westbrook tasting. Poured into a tulip. Bottled on 02/13/12.

a - Pours a murky, pale yellow color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonatioin evident.

s - Smells of bananas, smoked malts, fruity malts, and light sour tropical fruits. Interesting mix but pretty cool.

t - Tastes of bananas, smoked malts, sour citrus hops, lemon, sour tropical fruits, fruity malts. Again very nice. A little better then the nose with the citrus.

m - Light, thin body and low carbonation. Docking it a little in the body as it is a bit too thin and watery.

o - Overall one of the most interesting berliner's I've had. Some definite sourness to it, especially in the taste, but not too much as the smoked malts come out a bit as well. Pretty nice, I imagine exactly what they were going for.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

Had this beer at World of Beer in Columbia. This is the first time I have tried a smoked weisse. It poured a hazy, light yellow gold with a thin, light head. Smelled strongly of acid, smoked ham, and wheat. Initially, this beer tasted exactly like sauerkraut to me until it warmed up a bit. Then, I would liken its taste to a green apple covered in ham hock fat with a lemon wedge on top. It was certainly unique, but I can't say I enjoyed this beer tremendously. My girlfriend who is more of a fan of strong dark beers couldn't drink this beer saying it tasted like vomit and I could certainly see where she was coming from so this is definitely not for everyone..

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked this up in Colorado

Pours an effervescent gold with a sliver of cream colored head. Above average lacing, below average head retention

S: Sourness, smokeyness,

T: Tartness, smokeyness, sourness & grapefruit up front. More tartness as this warms, slight lemon citric notes, pears cherries & dryness as this warms. Finishes tart, moreish with faint smokeyness & grapefruit

MF: Medium bodied, delicate carbonation

Very drinkable, the smokeyness is restrained enough to make this something I could stay on a while

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Closed4business.
Pours a hazy wheaty golden...slight head. Smell is of citrusy smoked wheat. Really different.
Taste is first of a lemony citrus followed by a tart smokeyness and ends with a cashew flavor. Really nice.
Overall, one of the most unique of the style. Really creative and good tasting - a great combination!

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a pale yellow color and a hazy texture. There was an inch of fizzy head that quickly dissipated. Almost no lacing to speak of.

S: A fruity aroma, with a definite smoky quality as well.

T: Tasted of light fruit (lemon, apples), wheat, malt, and the aforementioned smokiness. Definitely unusual, with the inclusion of the smoke, this is an odd flavor that's hard to pin down.

M: A fair amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: This beer is definitely a strange little experiment. Not bad, and worth trying for the novelty, but probably not something I'd drink on a regular basis.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured with a decent white head although it didn't last long. Color was around a four on the color scale with a hint of an orange tint as well as a nice aroma. Smoke flavor was a bit overpowering but the sour wheat was present enough to get a solid taste with a medium mouth feel. As far as the complexity and uniqueness of this beer goes for what it is, it's top notch. As for my personal taste, I was unable to finish. Don't get me wrong, I like sour beers and I like smoke beers but, not rolled into one

3.99/5  rDev +1%

Super interesting beer- you better like smoke and you better like sour for this one. Pours somewhat cloudy with just a wisp on fine head. Nose is dominated by the smoked malt - little else can be detected. Flavor is nearly liquid bacon up front with strong tart lemony sourness at the end. Clean finish. Damn interesting beer.

Pale and milky straw colored body capped by a thin but retaining head. Very meaty, sour aroma, like leftover ham that's been in the fridge for a week too long. There's a bit of raw wheat in the background, but it's faint. Palate feels more harmonious than the nose, with a bigger sour lacto character that brings flavors of yogurt and lemon flesh. There's a grainy wheat undercurrent that lends body and an enjoyable tang. Smoke is present, but it isn't as meaty; it takes a backseat to the grain and lacto. Pretty enjoyable stuff overall. Strange at first, but ultimately refreshing and enjoyable.

Courtesy of thagr81us, thanks Calton! Wedding week beer!

This one pours a light bodied and cloudy peachy gold in color. The nose is both lightly tart and has plenty of hammy aromas. It's very hammy. The flavors are truer to the style with light tartness, citrusy acidity, with a more mellow ham presence. It's nice and interesting. I'm glad there is a lemony, citrus presence to combat the smoked beechwood malt. It drinks light but being in a bomber, I don't think I could finish off a bottle by myself. This was another good effort from Westbrook.

A smoked berlinerweiss? OK, I'll try it. I think Mike provided this one at a recent tasting. Beer is yellow and hazy with a thin lazy white head of small bubbles, some lacing, moderate to low carbonation, looks OK.

Aroma is surprising, all smoke, it isn't like sniffing a campfire but it is definitely there.

Beer is light in body and the lactic character cuts through the smoke and makes for an interesting beer, notice I didn't say excellent beer, I said interesting, it is definitely worth a look. I think the flavors actually go well together but I doubt this is a repeat for me.

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

The beer is hazy and yellow with a small white head. The aroma is quite smoky. Sour malt and some tart citrus blend well with a prominent campfire smoke character. Lingering tartness in the finish with smoke notes. I think of this as equal parts rauchbier and Berlinerweiss. Interesting and well done. I would have this again.

A - Out of the growler at the Charleston Beer Exchange and also out of a 22oz bomber. Hazy straw color. Pleasantly light in appearance.

S - Didn't know what to expect. Nice smoke and lemon in the nose which was confusing at first.

T - The taste sorted everything out for me. Honestly, an incredibly strange but very good beer. I was hesitant at first given the combination of smoke, bacon flavor, wheat, and lemon, but it was very good! I really enjoyed hit beer. Light on the booze as well, so you can sip this for awhile if you like some smoke flavor.

M - Mouthfeel was fairly light with moderate carbonation. It's interesting how the smoke flavor still remains light against the wheat body.

O - Good summertime beer, and I hope that Westbrook makes this a rotational beer. I really enjoyed it.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. No date under where it says "Bottled On."

A- Pours a light amber color with a 1/4 inch off-white head that retains decently before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a small center patch of bubbly surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- Simultaneous waft of cherrywood smoke and moderate tart aroma.

T- Taste folows closely to the aroma with a semi-tart onset that abruptly turns to a firm smokiness. The smoke lingers in the aftertaste and is sweeter than the smoke I'm used to being in rauchbiers. Definitely tastes like bacon and cured ham...and hot dogs! That's really the main taste you get from this, especially after multiple sips.

M- Dry with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- Took me a while to pinpoint it, but this beer definitely tastes the most like hot dogs than any other I've had. It's pretty much the main component while the tartness provides some complexity to keep it from being too one-sided. I'm not usually a fan of smoked beers but this one isn't too smoky and the smoke that is there has a different characteristic than the usual "campfire" variety.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to JLindros for sharing this bottle.

A - Poured into a stone ipa tulip glass a hazy straw hue super light with a thin head.

S - Aromas of nice light sour aromas and such with gentle smoke notes like a light bacon super light and fresh.

T - Taste is a nice light funky sour with gentle.lemons and subtle meaty funk and smoke. Super tasty.

M - Mouthfeel is very carbonated almost like a champagne which matches nicely with the sour funk.

O - Overall I really enjoyed this beer and I'm glad JLindros shared it. Defijately one of my favourite wiesse beers.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Lichtenhainer from Westbrook Brewing Co.