Mexican Cake | Westbrook Brewing Co.

Mexican CakeMexican Cake

Westbrook Brewing Co.
South Carolina, United States
westbrookbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Happy birthday to us! To celebrate our first year as a brewery we brewed a serious imperial stout and aged it on cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and fresh habanero peppers. This is the first offering in our annual Anniversary series. Here’s to many more!

Added by Netdigger2 on 02-01-2012

firstprev| 2701-2725 | 2726-2750 | 2751-2775  | next → last
Ratings: 2,766 |  Reviews: 341
4.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Very happy to see this on tap at "Closed for Business" in Charleston.

This is a thick black beer. Very opaque. Small deep tan head. Looks malevolent.

Nose is cinnamon and roasty malts and chocolate. Very slight booze.

Taste is complex and fantastic. Strong cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. Deep toasted malts. The jalepeno comes in slightly on the end - not too much, just a nice subtle hint of lingering spice. Masterfully done and a welcome change from some chili beers that whap you in the face with astringent spice.

Very good mouthfeel, this is a stout and shows it.

Overall a great beer. Strong but well-woven flavors. I had not previously heard of this brewery, but would love to try more stuff from them.

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

Having had a few Mexican Cakes on draft (At World of Beer in Columbia) I figured I'd check in and update my score a bit.

Fresh draft put into a smallish goblet.

The draft version of Mexican Cake seems to differ in the following ways from my previous review:

A. Longer head retention, and more of it. Some active carbonation. A fine deep red / tan head atop a nearly jet black beer.

S / T. The carbonation level in the beer is vastly improved over the bottle I had, which makes the aroma a little more lively and the taste a great deal less cloyingly sweet. The beer does seem less sweet on draft, and several people at my table who have tried both bottle and draft agreed. The heat and spice balance seems exactly the same.

M. Improved, and is fuller, more lively and less deadening with the benefits that the C02 brings.

Score adjusted accordingly. Quite enjoyable this go around. Go find you some.

4.36/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick, impenetrable consistency. There was a big, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Excellent lacing. A great-looking stout.

S: A sharp aroma, with spices, chocolate and peppers coming through.

T: Tasted of malt, chocolate, some cinnamon, a little coffee, a burnt quality, and chili peppers in the finish. This final ingredient will probably polarize a lot of people who drink this beer, but I think it somehow works. A complex and interesting flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a slick finish. Full-bodied.

O: Not your typical stout, that's for sure, but bold, unusual and certainly worth a try.

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

From a 32oz growler filled at Charlston Beer Exchange.
Thick black pour with brown around the edges. Just a small ring and a few bubbles of Darker tan.

Aroma, I get a lot of camelly malt, vanilla and molasses. There is some spice like cinnamon, light pepper. A small amount of alcohol presence as well. In all I thought this was a tad subdued.

Taste, It's pretty sweet up front, vanilla and molasses. Chocolate, dark choc, cocoa, gets dryer as you go. The pepper just barely peeks through in the roast at the end. There are a lot of nice flavors that peek through and work well together.
This is probably a 4.25, but the potential is there so I'll give it the nudge.

Body is to the right of medium, pretty think and coating. Enough carbonation, maybe could use a tinge more, a nice fine carbonation could add some creaminess, but the dry leaning finish helps with the sweetness as well. Drinks very very easy to the point where you might question that abv.

Was ready to give 4.5s and the such, but just not quite there yet. It is very good however, as most of the Westbrook brews I've had are. At the creative end of the spectrum and I'm just not quite sure what to think of these Hunaphu type brews. Have 2 bottles as well, we'll see what happens...
This definetely isn't going to be a beer everyone thinks is world class, yet.

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 32oz growler courtesy of Growlers in Hilton Head, SC.

Appearance is as you would expect from an imperial stout, very dark and thick with about an inch of tan head, a beautiful thing.

Smell is very nice as you get a little bit of the pepper, cocoa and vanilla. I am not really picking up any of the cinnamon but I am getting a good bit of alcohol.

Taste is out of this world, fantastic! I was worried when I smelled the alcohol but it really is undetectable in this upon drinking. You get tons of cocoa and vanilla with just the smallest hit of the cinnamon and pepper. Everything balances out so well, that it is very easy to drink.

The mouthfeel is velvety smooth and has the perfect amount of carbonation. It goes down too easy.

After drinking this beer I am sad that I didn't pick up any of the 22oz bottles that were for sale. What a great beer, I really hope this makes in to the regular rotation for Westbrook or at least comes out every year for their anniversary.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

4.89/5  rDev +11.4%

Got to try this from one of my neighbors that brings over beer! We poured it into some port wine snifters, at a little above white wine temperature.

It pours jet black with lots of loose tan head and leaves streaks all over the glass. It is pretty thick.

The smell is overwhelmed by fresh cinnamon rolls, chocolate, and hot peppers. It smells like it is going to be a bit spicy.

The flavor is incredible. It is sweet, but not cloying- more like rich velvety chocolate, accompanied by cinnamon rolls and smooth vanilla. There is the slightest hint of pepper at the end, but it is very welcomed to balance the other flavors. This reminds me of a marble chocolate cake that my grandmother used to bake with peanut butter stuffed carmelized peppers, exceptional balance.

The slight carbonation was consistent throughout and it sits pretty heavy.

I wouldn't drink more than 1 throughout an evening, but I cannot think of a better way to end a nice time with friends. It was much better than the Cigar City Hunahpu's we compared it to.

3.84/5  rDev -12.5%

Bomber poured into an oversized snifter. In spite of the widemouthed glassware, a thick cap of dark tan foam stubbornly sticks atop the dark body. Sticky and splotchy lacing all over the place.

The habaneros somewhat overwhelm the spices and chocolate in the nose (although a healthy roastiness is quite pleasant). Tasty stuff, though. The habaneros kick into high gear in the finish; before that, the cinnamon, vanilla and cocoa nibs are quite potent. Velvety, chocolatey and plenty roasty. Espresso shows up in the aftertaste after the peppers finally calm down. I'm digging this stuff. I'm curious about how it would age, but it's pretty damned good now, and I suspect drinking it fresh may be the best way to enjoy the the pepper presence. Kinda reminds me of a Mexican twist on a pecan pie I made a while back.

4.76/5  rDev +8.4%

Big thanks to GBX! Poured at around 55* into a chalice. Much better once it warms, let it get to or above 60* before tasting, it really opens up in a great way!

Pours black with dark mocha head. Very viscous and great lacing.

Nose is subdued, but some chipotle pepper spice, imported chocolate, sugar cane, cinnamon coated dipped peppers, vanilla and cocoa.

Taste is sweet chocolate, slight pepper spice, graham crackers, light roast and deep french vanilla. Amazing.

Medium body with great, light carbonation. Fantastic balance.

- One of the highlights of the year and one of the best I've had. Ever.- It's that good

firstprev| 2701-2725 | 2726-2750 | 2751-2775  | next → last
Mexican Cake from Westbrook Brewing Co.