Gose | Westbrook Brewing Co.

GoseGose

Westbrook Brewing Co.
South Carolina, United States
westbrookbrewing.com

Style: Gose

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

Added by mrandypandy on 05-06-2012

Ratings: 2,577 |  Reviews: 326

2.02/5  rDev -50.9%

I like sours but this is to much craziest beer on the planet all hail the king Westbrook kicked my $&@

2.08/5  rDev -49.4%

2.15/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.16/5  rDev -47.4%

2.21/5  rDev -46.2%

2.25/5  rDev -45.3%

2.25/5  rDev -45.3%

2.3/5  rDev -44%

Found myself in South Carolina looking at the many offerings from Westbrook. The Gose had high ratings and was a beer style I haven't had so decided to try it.

Unfortunately I was not a fan of this beer. It was cloudy and did not have much carbonation. The smell to me was vinegar and musty herbs. The taste was like a turned cider that was poured over a salt block. I drank two to make certain that my palate was exposed and acclimated to the beer but the last swallow was only marginally better than the first.

So it seems my first experience with this style of beer will probably be my last but I am glad I tried it.

2.3/5  rDev -44%

2.33/5  rDev -43.3%

A: [3.00] Pours and forms a 2 finger head. The head is dense and pillowy - but it is gone very fast. It dissipates to nothing. The beer itself is a very cloud orange. It looks like Metamucil. The can has a born on date 09/15/14. It also lists the ABV (4.0%)

S: [2.50] No words come to mind. Maybe cider - sour cider? Not sure I am doing it justice.

T: [2.00] That is crazy. Completely unexpected taste. My first thought is more Salty-Sprite than any kind of beer. The flavors are lemon zest, spice, salt. There is a nice citrus throughout. The saltiness is late. It is so foreign to me I am having trouble describing it.

M: [3.00] Tart on the tongue. Decent carbonation.

O: [2.25] I am pretty certain that the German word for Zima is Gose. That is what this reminds me of - a Zima. It is a citrus alcoholic beverage. I was very excited to try this when I saw it at the store. I think that this is a one and done for me. I feel bad - I wanted to like it more but I don't.

2.4/5  rDev -41.6%

2.41/5  rDev -41.4%

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.