Gose | Westbrook Brewing Co.

GoseGose

Westbrook Brewing Co.
South Carolina, United States
westbrookbrewing.com

Style: Gose

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

Added by mrandypandy on 05-06-2012

Ratings: 2,585 |  Reviews: 327
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Pours a cloudy pale golden color with a quickly receding cream colored head.

S: Tart wheat, a lot of salt, coriander, hay and some brine.

T: Umami is a good descriptor here. Sharply tart and salty upfront. A touch of a lactic twang with a backend of light wheat and coriander. Fades into sea salt and just a hint of citrus. Lemon is in there somewhere. Ridiculously refreshing and a fantastic take on the style.

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%

Can opened on 8.31.14

Tart, salty, citrusy. Perfect for the style.

Thanks Chandler.

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

From a selection of beers bought back from SC. Canned date of 7/1/14. First experience with this style

Poured into a pint glass, head disappeared quickly leaving a fizzy dark yellow hazy body. Taste was tart, very salty and a bit sour. Didn't pick up the corriander much. A dry puckering finish. I enjoyed this more when down in the heat of the south. Wasn't as refreshing back in the PA late summer.

My issues with this beer, and it may just be that I dont overly care for the style was that although it's only 4.0abv, It was a sipping beer, perhaps due to the saltiness. The other problem was that despite rinsing thoroughly with water and wiping off my lips, I found it near impossible to get rid of the saltiness, rendering the next beer I had slightly salty as well. Seems like this is a one and done last beer of the day for me.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

From a 12 oz can (dated June 24, 2014) into a pokal glass.

A-A normal pour produces about a finger of white head. The foam fades quickly to a cap then a film then nothing. It leaves no lacing. The beer is very murky, but bright in color like dry straw. I can see a few bubbles in the murk.

S-The aroma is tart and lactic. I smell lemon, lime, orange juice, and somewhat briny salt. Wheat flavors are tart and lactic, but a bit of doughy bread softens things up and the beer does not smell overly acidic.

T-The taste is nearly identical to the smell with citrus tartness (lemon and lime especially) and salt being pretty powerful. The wheat flavors are lactic, but not overly funky, and there is a slightly doughy base to the that balances the sour flavor out. Buried beneath the tart flavors is a bit of spice and some dried grassy flavor.

M-The beer is pretty light in body, though not terribly light for the style. Carbonation is spritzy and the beer is very easy to drink.

O-Although this beer may be too strong on the salt to be called "authentic," the salt certainly makes it tasty and thirst-quenching. Indeed, the salt is strong, but I did not find it overpowering or annoying, and I could see drinking a few of these on a hot day. The mouthfeel is also perfectly matched to the flavor and style of the beer. A very solid effort.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

I bought this while on vacation in South Carolina. I love gose but found Westbrook to be overly sour and salty.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from 12oz can into my Trim Tab Brewing pint glass.

Appearance: thickly cloudy yellow-gold hue with a quickly-dissipating head. That cloudiness is just amazing.

Smell: sweet and tart with a light fruitiness and a light funkiness. The tartness and the fruitiness combine to create kind of a lemony aroma. I quite like it indeed.

Taste: very tart up front with a nice wheaty character at the end. Saltiness is low but is definitely there. I think that after a whole can I'm going to appreciate the somewhat low salt level.

Mouthfeel: light body with a light carbonation that is more refreshingly fizzy than creamy. Good for the style.

Overall: this is an incredibly drinkable beer. I would love to have this available in my area for hot days, tailgating and camping. Great stuff.

3.36/5  rDev -18.4%

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A: cloudy river water, yellow and murky

S: pineapple, green apple

T: Tart pineapple, a hint of salt that smoothes out the tartness of the pineapple. Green sour apple aftertaste

M: slight carbonation, leaves a sweet tart after taste lingering in your mouth for a few seconds

O: The first time I had this beer was the first time I had a Gose. I love this beer. Very sour and tart but salinity balances. Are with spiedie chicken, old bay shrimp and asparagus on the grill and it was delicious.

2.16/5  rDev -47.6%

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.