One Claw Rye Pale Ale | Westbrook Brewing Co.

One Claw Rye Pale AleOne Claw Rye Pale Ale
3.99/5
One Claw Rye Pale AleOne Claw Rye Pale Ale

Westbrook Brewing Co.
South Carolina, United States
westbrookbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Alieniloquium on 05-25-2013

Ratings: 1,090 |  Reviews: 142

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

I'm conflicted about this beer- I really, really want to say I like it, and in fact I enjoyed it immensely when it first hit the Atlanta market and I grabbed a few fresh six packs. It had an outstanding fresh, bready, spicy rye note with the spice being vibrant throughout and chocolate notes only being a hint at the finish. The problem is that it disappeared from the shelves for a bit and another batch appeared. I bought some more and noticed after a couple of weeks that some of the cans were bulging and the beer was clearly overcarbonated and infected. It was starting to go funky and sour- and not in a good way. I tried twice more and found the same thing. That, unfortunately, has scared me off of this beer. I know that ryes can be a pain to brew- I hope they work this out, but for now after repeated attempts to enjoy this beer from several shops, I've got to mark it down.

2.34/5  rDev -41.4%

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

2.64/5  rDev -33.8%

2.7/5  rDev -32.3%

A little hoppier than I like.

2.9/5  rDev -27.3%

3.01/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pretty decent apa, refreshing in taste

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%

12oz can ~$1.50. Super huge head and a very cloudy and murky yellow appearance. Aroma is sort of spicy, wheaty, must be rye. Odd flavor which must be the rye. I found nothing special about this beer and would even go as far as to say that it was funny tasting. I would not purchase this again.

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good job making the rye work with the lighter style.

3.22/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz can poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Murky apricot yellow with tons of yeast sludge bobbing around. Has 1/2 finger of off-white head with moderate carbonation.

Nose
Candied orange, pine, pineapple, lemon, and caramel.

Taste
Candied orange and lemon. Pine sap, grapefruit zest, and drops of pineapple. Firm caramel and spicy rye backbone. Finishes with sharp pine resin and dried florals.

Mouthfeel
Medium-light bodied, crisp, semi-dry, and mildly bitter.

Overall
A decent Rye Pale Ale. Quite quaffable.

3.23/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from can into Goose Island pint glass. Date of review is 7/29/14. Big thanks to thatoneguymike for including it as an extra.

Appearance- Pale orange color with a hazy hue. Dirty white half inch head that slowly reduces and leaves great lacing.

Smell- This weird, but at first I get vanilla ice cream. I do get some type of grain, but I would have no idea it was rye. This is almost void of scent.

Taste- Again, very little going on in this beer. I get very mild hops that leave a pleasant oily residue in my mouth. Pretty boring in the taste department.

Mouthfeel- A bit thinner then I like. Like I said about the hops, it is nice to have those present in this sip.

Overall- Nothing exciting to say the least. Thin, no smell and very little taste. I am glad to have tried it, but I will never seek it out again.

3.24/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev -18.8%

Thanks to whoever sent this cute blue 12 oz. can over, I’m too lazy to go upstairs & look who. But I need some rye in my rye hole. Now.

The pour is pure golden sunshine. Smells like happiness: wet hops, wet rye, pine citrus, all that shit we like. I hope it tastes like this.

One Claw doesn’t taste like that. The rye delivers some peppery pep, but the rye then devolves into lowland delta dirt that I’m not terribly fond of. Bitter, citrus hops flower into the mid-section, touch of pine provide a counterpoint that clashes with the undergrowth pretty harshly. Crisp, sappier than the end of When Harry Met Sally.

I was anticipating happiness & all I ended up with is this rather mediocre rye pale. So simple, yet still didn’t gel for me. Oh well. Next time.

One Claw Rye Pale Ale from Westbrook Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.99 out of 5 with 1,090 ratings