Windy City Wheat | Chicago Beer Company

Chicago Beer Company
Illinois, United States
cbcchitown.com

Style: Witbier

Today's forecast...Windy! A Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with honey and spices.

Added by emerge077 on 11-07-2010

4.67/5  rDev +44.1%

Picked up a 6pk at Binny's and I am a big fan of this new Belgian White. I met the owner at a tasting event and he has a lot of passion for the beer - it's 2 brothers running the show - one is a brewmaster and one is the sales team. Althought they are contract brewed in Wisconsin they are both local guys who grew up in St. Charles.

Aroma: Moderate sweetness (light notes of honey) with light, grainy, spicy wheat aromatics. Notes of coriander. Fruity, floral and sweet aroma

Appearance: Very pale straw. Cloudy. Dense, white head with good retention

Flavor: Pleasant sweetness (with a honey character) and a zesty, orange-citrusy fruitiness. Refreshingly crisp with a dry, tart, finish. Has a low wheat flavor. Hop bitterness is low

Looking forward to their next brew - Pier Pale Ale

4.63/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this Belgian Wheat on tap and it was Delicious. What a great alternative to Blue Moon. I really feel this is a relaxing sessionable beer. I would suggest this to anyone that is looking to have a mellow relaxing Belgian Wheat. Great unfiltered look, with a slight orange hint, great head, and smooth mellow taste. Overall I am going to purchase for the house.

4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

4.05/5  rDev +25%

Appearance: Very lemony and cloudy white look. Head goes flat quick due to acid I guess.

Smell: Lemons, bananas, cloves, and bubblegum. Pretty standard...and good.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Same as smell. Mouthfeel is pretty yeasty and refreshing.

Drinkability: A great witbier, and a summer one at that.

Overall: See drinkability.

4.05/5  rDev +25%

This beer can be compared to many, but the more I drank the better they got! Being from Kansas City, of course I thought of a Boulevard or two that i had smelled recently. Although the aroma and taste were two very nice parts of the experience up front, I loved how it made me want more! I look forward to being able to buy this beer here in KC soon. Bring it Chicago Beer Company!

Found this bottle in local liquor store.

I never knew this brewery existed! Color was almost clearish yellow with generous white head. Not as cloudy as I would have liked, but still nice to look at. Bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom. Smell and taste was wheaty as you would expect.

Overall it's definitely not the best example of this style, and way better beers can be had. Low abv, easy to drink. I could see why many people don't like this one, but to me it's "good", not great. I'd buy it again.

3.98/5  rDev +22.8%

I think much of what has been said is fairly accurate. The color is quite nice and the smell is much like a typical wit beer. The flavor is quite nice, and the finish is very smooth. The packaging and brew immediately and quite obviously make you think of goose island's 312. In comparison, I would much prefer windy city wheat over 312. I picked up a six-pack at a local binny's and have rather enjoyed it during a football sunday. It should be really good come spring time.

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

I was served this beer in a pint glass poured out of the bottle. At first it looked and smelled like a KC's Boulevard Wheat. Once I had a taste, I was shocked at how smooth it was and how much it reminded me of Boulevard's wheat beer. The slightest hint of honey really set the beer apart from its competition. I ended up drinking a 6 pack and enjoyed every moment of it. I look forward to seeing this beer at my local liquor store in Kansas City.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a murky gold color with a medium sized white head. The aroma is citrus, grain and some spice. The taste follows the nose. A slightly above average beer.

3.69/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wheat ales get a bad wrap, I think there is only one or two even in the top 250. It is just an underwhelming style for the most part. I always try to rate according to style.

A deep honey toned body hosts a full two fingers of foamy white head. Head has decent retention. Nose has some honey and soft sweet bready notes. Initial sip has this zesty dusty and creamy wheat feel. A hint of citrus and soft hop notes round out a solid drinkable flavor platform. Overall the way this one is put together it is a bit bolder then most wheat ales. Very nice for the style.

3.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Served in a wine glass

Had this beer at a tasting and talked with one of the owner's and he seemed like a really cool guy and I look to them putting out more styles. He said they are working on a milk stout for March release so we'll see how that goes.

This beer however looks like a light golden color with frothy white head. The aroma is pretty good as well. I pick up notes of coriander, lemon, and bubblegum. Along with fresh floral notes that all work quite well together on the nose. The taste, in my opinion, is overspiced but still enjoyable. There is lots of clove in the taste along with corriander and a bit of lemon grass. It's not too bad for a witbier, but this beer is more of a catch all wheat style. It's almost Belgian without actually being. It still drinks and feels good, so I wouldn't mind actually having it again.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Clear yellow with a two finger white pillow with OK lasting power but no lacing (3.75)

Aroma: Medium light fruity belgian esters with a hint of smoke. (3.6)

Flavor: Medium grainy malt bill, yeast presence is light, orange peel/corriander/honey character are all faint at best (3.6)

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, medium carbonation refreshing (3.75)

Overall: 3.65

3.63/5  rDev +12%

Served in a wine glass.

I'm with Mike on this one: The brewer is quite the character. His beer (batch #2, no less) pours a minorly hazy straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat, coriander, and corn. The taste holds notes of Belgian yeast, coriander, clove, flowers, and lemon zest. The body is fairly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Overall, a nice little wit, nothing amazing, but something I could see drinking plenty of if given the chance.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

This wasn't my favorite, it wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad.

Bottle poured into weizen; three finger off white head.

Straw golden, hazy colored, yeast turbid....just how I like it.

Smells: like a Belgian white should.

Tastes: Honey, ick!! Coriander, oats, and a hit of citrus

Mouthfeel: a little watery for my liking.

This was an ok beer, I don't think I'd have it again.

Windy City Wheat from Chicago Beer Company