Windy City Wheat | Chicago Beer Company

Chicago Beer Company
Illinois, United States
cbcchitown.com

Style: Witbier

Today's forecast...Windy! A Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with honey and spices.

Added by emerge077 on 11-07-2010

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

This wasn't my favorite, it wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad.

Bottle poured into weizen; three finger off white head.

Straw golden, hazy colored, yeast turbid....just how I like it.

Smells: like a Belgian white should.

Tastes: Honey, ick!! Coriander, oats, and a hit of citrus

Mouthfeel: a little watery for my liking.

This was an ok beer, I don't think I'd have it again.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a mug

Appearance: Slightly hazy light yellow color with little lacing

Smell: Slight corn sweetness smell with a little hint of fruits

Taste: Very mild flavor of sweetness and a little bit of fruitiness. It is not an extremely complex brew but what flavor it has is pretty good and refreshing.

4.25/5  rDev +32%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

this beer pours out lookin like others of it's kind. hazy yellow body with half finger of off white head that fades rather quickly. smell is weak, some wheat and spice. taste is rather weak also. more of the spice and wheat. mouthfeel is thin and watery, decent carbonation. real weak beer, real disappointment. just go with hoegarden if you want to know what this beer is suppose to taste like.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

2.73/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured this cloudy, golden brew from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass, noted a quickly dissipated 1/2 inch head that left a little white on top while I drank this beer, but no lacing to speak of. Very little aromatics, I had trouble getting anything other than the grain in the nose. Tasted clean and crisp, with the wheat front and center, some grassy flavors in the finish.. Very light in the mouth, an easy drinking beer.

All in all, I'd have to say this is a beer made for summer.

Found this bottle in local liquor store.

I never knew this brewery existed! Color was almost clearish yellow with generous white head. Not as cloudy as I would have liked, but still nice to look at. Bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom. Smell and taste was wheaty as you would expect.

Overall it's definitely not the best example of this style, and way better beers can be had. Low abv, easy to drink. I could see why many people don't like this one, but to me it's "good", not great. I'd buy it again.

4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

Appearance: Very lemony and cloudy white look. Head goes flat quick due to acid I guess.

Smell: Lemons, bananas, cloves, and bubblegum. Pretty standard...and good.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Same as smell. Mouthfeel is pretty yeasty and refreshing.

Drinkability: A great witbier, and a summer one at that.

Overall: See drinkability.

3.47/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a pale gold color with a one-finger, white head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of lemon, yeast and spices. There was a subtle fruity aroma.

T - Mostly lemon and wheat. There was a touch of spiciness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and fairly smooth. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - I knew this was a gimmick when I ordered this - a beer that's made to look like its unique to Chicago. However, it was one of two beers at the bar that I had not had before. It was okay. A nice easy drinking beer before the Cubs game.

1.76/5  rDev -45.3%

Blind beer #6 This beer was served in a pint glass after a quick smell.

A- 3.0 A cloudy effervesent goldenen body. The head is white and quickly resolved itself.

S- 2.0 Just not feeling this beer. This beer has a bland peppered lemon aroma. I could live with bland but it smells like someone washed their feet in it.

T- 1.5 For sure not feeling this beer. Cloves and a brief lemon flavor hit my palate and leave me hanging. Doesnt taste terrible but its not really doing much for me either.

M- 2.0 The body of the beer is light but not thin. Carbonation seems to work well for the beer.

O- 1.5 I could drink this beer. But why bother?

The reveal: Chi Town Windy City Wheat Belgian White. This is in a class of why bother beers for me. I love me some Hoegardden, Celis and Whirl Wind Wit. This seems to be in the dumbed down class of beers like Blue Moon. Oddly enough I am sure if you liked Blue Moon this would be the next thing.

Thanks Phelps for the first kill shot. At least I hop this was intended as a killer.

Windy City Wheat from Chicago Beer Company