Diebels Alt | Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG

Added by dpend on 09-16-2002

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a rich amber-brown ale with a white head that started about an inch or so thick and subsided to a 1/4 inch and left a little lace. The aroma is of toasted malts with a touch of sweetness. The flavor is very dry and begins with a rush of carbonic bite and a dry toasted malt that reminds me of black tea. There is a bit of hops in the bitterness and it is sort of floral but it seems not present enough for me to be able to describe it well. The bitterness lingers into the finish and lends a further crispness to this ale. The mouthfeel is very dry and the carbonic bite is a bit out of balance and takes away from the maltiness. This is a great and flavorful session beer though my favorite in the style is still Zum Ueridge.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

0.5l bottle. Pours a completely clear brownish-amber color with a large frothy off-white head. Aroma is pale and caramel malts, bread, and grassy hops. Flavor is slightly roasted, bread, pale malts, and some herbal hops. Mouthfeel is light, dry, and a hint of bitterness at the end. Decent beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

Exceptionally clear bronze-brown body. Rocky, foamy head.

Slightly yeasty aroma, pungent and dry with, I think, a hint of scotch whisky!

Just a bit chewy in the mouth with some peat and earth tones, then chocolate and coffee.

Dry and astringent, malty around the edge.

This is my first altbier, and I may end up changing these ratings later if future samples warrant it. I enjoyed this style quite a bit, and this beer seems to be an excellent example of the style.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.58/5  rDev -3%

This dark alt beer poured almost a clear brown with a nice off white head that stayed around for some time. The aroma was subtle but left a little malt in the nose. The bitterness jumps out and grabs the tongue, but lets the sweetness creap back in. The beer finishes with a light chocolate taste. The mouthfeel borders on creamy and is medium bodied. This beer is quite drinkable and is what I am hoping the alt in my keg that is fermenting now will taste like.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

Dark and misterious it pours out of the bottle to form a modest cappuccino crown over a dark-ruby liquid. Aroma is toffeish, with flowery-hoppy tones in the background. Carbonation is low. The taste is outstanding, reminiscent of English Ales with a perfect balance of nuts and malts vs. hops and fruit. Aftertaste is complex, bittersweet and crying for more. Great Germanic ale!

3.21/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.21/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Dark orange beer, very little head that vanishes completely after pouring. The aroma is faint with a vague presence of caramel but not much more. Taste is also pretty bland. The sweetness is balanced by some hoppy bitterness which makes the beer pretty dry in the aftertaste. Lightly bodied and very fizzy. I would say this is unremarkable although I remembered a much better product the first time I had it. Sad.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

On tap at the Diebels tied house on the Duisburg harbour. Freshness was the key here. Light fruity hopiness on the nose. I was drinking a wonderful, crisp, fresh beer with a mildly bitter munich flavour on a background on what again seemed like spalt hops (a favourite in this region). There was a light residual sweetness that balanced out the apparent dryness and firm but not high bitterness.

Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

2.84/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Dark, clear, lots of head and good retension with some visible carbonation.
S - Very little smell at all. Slightly sweet I suppose.
T - Sweeter, some roasty tastes of coffee and some yeastiness gives it a sweeter fruity taste. Lingers long and dry and slightly sweet.
M - Heavy mouthfeel, lingers like an awkward person, overcarbonated and syrupy.
D - Too heavy and thick, otherwise alright.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

One of my favorite German beers. Usually buy it at Trinkgut in Kleve together with my other German favorites.

A: A beautiful brown/copper color with an initional decent white head.

S: Roasted malts, hops, and some caramel sweetness.

T: Like a pilsener but enriched with roasted malts and an additional dose of hops. A slight metallic tone in the aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation and a light body. Very dry finish.

D: I like this one a lot, but not in any moment. I seem to have a preference for this beer at dinner time.

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Diebels poured a light beige head with some nice initial lace but by the time I had finished the beer the head was gone as was most of the lace. The colour was, of course, dark bronze, like iced tea. My relatively low grade for the appearance has me suspecting that my bottle of Diebels may not be the best available sample. Pity.

The aroma was malty sweet and I picked up on the presence of molasses, bitter coffee and raisins. The roasted taste started out lightly sweet and finished lightly bitter. The flavour, while nicely balanced, could have been turned up a notch or two. On the palate, Diebels was a bit thin and had a moderately dry finish.

I would like to try this beer again, preferably freshly poured in a German tavern.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a carmel amber color. It is darker than I had expected it would be when I poured it. It has a quickly disipating white bubbly head.

The smell is sweet with what I believe to be a hint of apples (although perhaps I'm just crazy). The taste is a nice balance of thin sweetness with a dry bittering of hops, but not overpowering. A nice tastey beer that is still refresing, but has a bit more hops flavor than is typical for the region. Very tastey.

I can't compare this to many other alts, as it is a style that I have only had a few. But from what I see, it is a pleasant light and refreshing style.

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

3.58/5  rDev -3%

I originally reviewed this on tap and then recently found it in bottles.As far a I'm concerned, I'll stick with the draught.The whole six pack had a "old and dirty" taste."Alt" means old and the beer style was originally stored in dirt cellars, but I don't think this is what they should be shooting for.

I am a fan of this style, but there was something about the bottle taste that I couldn't adjust to.I have also had it now in a mini-keg, which I purchased from the same store, and it tasted fine, so I'm going to have to blame the bottles here.If you come across it, try it. It's one of the better examples of the style, just be cautious of the bottles.

Diebels Alt from Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG