Diebels Alt | Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG

diebels.de

Style: Altbier

Added by dpend on 09-16-2002

Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 115

Look: the beer pours an amber-copper color with medium head
Smell: Roasted malts, caramel and quite floral hops
Taste: Roasted malts, grain, and nice spicy bitter hops
Mouthfeel: dry finish with a medium-light body and medium carbonation
Overall: Nice beer for dinner

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Amber, clear, good head

Aroma: peppery, malty, hoppy

Taste: malt, followed by dry hop bitterness; dry finish; Very smooth and refreshing

Remarks: I plan on homebrewing this beer once I find a good clone recipe. I really miss having it in Germany.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.24/5  rDev -12.2%

A light brown version of Altbier that pour with a burst of foam that settles to a thin collar. Starts with mostly caramel malt flavors. The hops become more noticeable later on and ending with a dry finish. There's some bits of toffee, and some buttery notes, but not much complexity. Fairly light-bodied with a smooth mouthfeel. A very quaffable Altbier. A beer that I believe would appeal to many beer drinkers looking to try a German beer other than a Spaten or Paulaner, something a wee bit more interesting.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a deep copper color with reddish tint. Thick tan head which turned into a thin film after a few minutes. Minimal lacing left behind.

Smelled of malt and bread, perhaps a bit of coffee in there too. Nice aroma.

Malty presence with a small amount of what tasted like tobacco. Still some coffee bean in the background as well.

Mouthfeel was decent but perhaps a bit flat. I've been drinking pilsners all week so maybe that's the reason it felt this way in my mouth compared to what I'd been used to. Smooth but unexciting.

All in all, a pretty drinkable brew. Not my favorite style, but it's reasonably priced and fairly easy to get so if the mood strikes me for this style beer again, I would consider this one.

2.88/5  rDev -22%

500 ml bottle, bought in Germany. Poured into a kolsch glass. Ingredients are water, hops, barley malt. ABV is 4,9%.
Dark copper colour, with a slighty beige head, one and a half finger in height, soapy in texture, having average retention. No lacing left behind, no activity in the glass.
Aroma is of roasted malts, but very faint. Not much of an aroma actually.
Taste is of roasted malts again, toffee and dark chocolate. It does leave behind some bitterness, but not as much as I expected.
Light carbonation on a thin to medium body.
An average one.

3.51/5  rDev -4.9%

Clear dark amber with an off-white head, the smell is basically dark caramel malt with raisins, but is fainter than it should be.

The taste is also less than fresh, but is nice. Toast, raisin, caramel, very strong hop finish which cuts through the somewhat thick mouthfeel but which to my tongue also doesn't let the malt character fully develop. Somebody said rhubarb earlier, and I think that's exactly the weird discordant note that bothers me.

A pretty drinkable beer which makes me want to drink more alts, but not an exemplar of the style or anything.

Remember to let it warm up before you drink it--the complexity doesn't really come out if you have it cold.

3.32/5  rDev -10%

A - Low white eggshell head. A very interesting dark oak brown color body that was a bit clear but as vibrant as it was dark.

S - The best part of this beer was the smell. Some very nice smooth appetizing grape and caramel smells.

T - A slightly bitter leafy, lemon grass / hay flavor. Kind of stale and sour

M - Effervescently nice, but at the same time watery and hollow.

D - Overall, not bad color, a great smell, but a dissapointing taste.

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

After drinking nothing but Kölsch and Weissbier I was begging for something different to try. During a weekend trip to Aachen I found this brew, though it is very easy to find anywhere in Germany.

Color ís almost that of pine bark and head is off white and short lived. Scent is powerful and quickly brings a resemblance to molasses to mind. Flavor can best be sumed up into rye bread meets molasses meets brown sugar. Its a flavorful beer, the flavors however seem out of place. Its interesting at first but by the time I got to the bottom of the glass this beer's individuality had gotten on my nerves and I was already looking for something different. As I have had very little experience with Alt beers this may be typical for the style. German brewers are not known for their wild and unique creations like some American micros are. Mouthfeel was pleasant--silky, full, and satisfying.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Dark copper/brown body with an off-white, sudsy head that fades to nothing.

S- Bready malts, hop spiciness, and some notes of dark fruit.

T- A little bit of sweet malt starts off the taste, followed by some nice roasted malt flavors. There is also a note of caramel or perhaps molasses as well. The finish is dry with a slight hop bitterness.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation and very smooth overall.

D- Nice balance and smooth feel make this one pretty drinkable for me.

NOTE: A lot of the finer characteristics of the smell and taste really come out well when this beer warms up a bit.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

Clear deep brown body topped with a short lived head that leaves no real lacing.

Smell has a tasted hint to it. Slight chocolate and caramel with a very faint alcohol end after warming a bit.

Tastes nice and malty with a roasted touch, light chocolate and caramel. Nicely bitter in the middle and fades away on the finish. Drys the mouth a bit but still goes down smooth.

A damn solid beer from a hard to find catagory.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

A very nice colour: the label describes it as barn stone and i tend to agree. Nice stable layer of foam. Weak earthy and malty smell. Nice taste, though it's not easy to define it. Can caramel be bitter? Because that's what it tastes like: caramel bitterness. First time I tried an Altbier. If this beer is an adequate representation, I would gladly drink more beers in this style.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

0.5l bottle. Pours a completely clear brownish-amber color with a large frothy off-white head. Aroma is pale and caramel malts, bread, and grassy hops. Flavor is slightly roasted, bread, pale malts, and some herbal hops. Mouthfeel is light, dry, and a hint of bitterness at the end. Decent beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

Exceptionally clear bronze-brown body. Rocky, foamy head.

Slightly yeasty aroma, pungent and dry with, I think, a hint of scotch whisky!

Just a bit chewy in the mouth with some peat and earth tones, then chocolate and coffee.

Dry and astringent, malty around the edge.

This is my first altbier, and I may end up changing these ratings later if future samples warrant it. I enjoyed this style quite a bit, and this beer seems to be an excellent example of the style.

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a rich amber-brown ale with a white head that started about an inch or so thick and subsided to a 1/4 inch and left a little lace. The aroma is of toasted malts with a touch of sweetness. The flavor is very dry and begins with a rush of carbonic bite and a dry toasted malt that reminds me of black tea. There is a bit of hops in the bitterness and it is sort of floral but it seems not present enough for me to be able to describe it well. The bitterness lingers into the finish and lends a further crispness to this ale. The mouthfeel is very dry and the carbonic bite is a bit out of balance and takes away from the maltiness. This is a great and flavorful session beer though my favorite in the style is still Zum Ueridge.

3.58/5  rDev -3%

This dark alt beer poured almost a clear brown with a nice off white head that stayed around for some time. The aroma was subtle but left a little malt in the nose. The bitterness jumps out and grabs the tongue, but lets the sweetness creap back in. The beer finishes with a light chocolate taste. The mouthfeel borders on creamy and is medium bodied. This beer is quite drinkable and is what I am hoping the alt in my keg that is fermenting now will taste like.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

Dark and misterious it pours out of the bottle to form a modest cappuccino crown over a dark-ruby liquid. Aroma is toffeish, with flowery-hoppy tones in the background. Carbonation is low. The taste is outstanding, reminiscent of English Ales with a perfect balance of nuts and malts vs. hops and fruit. Aftertaste is complex, bittersweet and crying for more. Great Germanic ale!

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Dark orange beer, very little head that vanishes completely after pouring. The aroma is faint with a vague presence of caramel but not much more. Taste is also pretty bland. The sweetness is balanced by some hoppy bitterness which makes the beer pretty dry in the aftertaste. Lightly bodied and very fizzy. I would say this is unremarkable although I remembered a much better product the first time I had it. Sad.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

On tap at the Diebels tied house on the Duisburg harbour. Freshness was the key here. Light fruity hopiness on the nose. I was drinking a wonderful, crisp, fresh beer with a mildly bitter munich flavour on a background on what again seemed like spalt hops (a favourite in this region). There was a light residual sweetness that balanced out the apparent dryness and firm but not high bitterness.

Great beer.

2.84/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Dark, clear, lots of head and good retension with some visible carbonation.
S - Very little smell at all. Slightly sweet I suppose.
T - Sweeter, some roasty tastes of coffee and some yeastiness gives it a sweeter fruity taste. Lingers long and dry and slightly sweet.
M - Heavy mouthfeel, lingers like an awkward person, overcarbonated and syrupy.
D - Too heavy and thick, otherwise alright.

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

One of my favorite German beers. Usually buy it at Trinkgut in Kleve together with my other German favorites.

A: A beautiful brown/copper color with an initional decent white head.

S: Roasted malts, hops, and some caramel sweetness.

T: Like a pilsener but enriched with roasted malts and an additional dose of hops. A slight metallic tone in the aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation and a light body. Very dry finish.

D: I like this one a lot, but not in any moment. I seem to have a preference for this beer at dinner time.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Diebels poured a light beige head with some nice initial lace but by the time I had finished the beer the head was gone as was most of the lace. The colour was, of course, dark bronze, like iced tea. My relatively low grade for the appearance has me suspecting that my bottle of Diebels may not be the best available sample. Pity.

The aroma was malty sweet and I picked up on the presence of molasses, bitter coffee and raisins. The roasted taste started out lightly sweet and finished lightly bitter. The flavour, while nicely balanced, could have been turned up a notch or two. On the palate, Diebels was a bit thin and had a moderately dry finish.

I would like to try this beer again, preferably freshly poured in a German tavern.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a carmel amber color. It is darker than I had expected it would be when I poured it. It has a quickly disipating white bubbly head.

The smell is sweet with what I believe to be a hint of apples (although perhaps I'm just crazy). The taste is a nice balance of thin sweetness with a dry bittering of hops, but not overpowering. A nice tastey beer that is still refresing, but has a bit more hops flavor than is typical for the region. Very tastey.

I can't compare this to many other alts, as it is a style that I have only had a few. But from what I see, it is a pleasant light and refreshing style.

3.58/5  rDev -3%

I originally reviewed this on tap and then recently found it in bottles.As far a I'm concerned, I'll stick with the draught.The whole six pack had a "old and dirty" taste."Alt" means old and the beer style was originally stored in dirt cellars, but I don't think this is what they should be shooting for.

I am a fan of this style, but there was something about the bottle taste that I couldn't adjust to.I have also had it now in a mini-keg, which I purchased from the same store, and it tasted fine, so I'm going to have to blame the bottles here.If you come across it, try it. It's one of the better examples of the style, just be cautious of the bottles.

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Nutty, almost chestnut scent with roasted scents

Appearance: Poured into hefeweizen glass (all I had) to light amber/mahoghany with 3/8" inch head to start. dissipated relatively quickly with no lacing

Drinkability: Rather excellent taste with a slight residual bitterness on the finish. Would like to see how many I could have

Mouthfeel: Slightly buttery on the palette with some presence here, low to medium carbonation really letting the flavor come through

Overall: I thought this was really great. Either I'm just romanticizing the style which is one of my favorites and that I'm having one while in Germany, but it has a great taste, mouthfeel and finish.

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

One of the best beers I've had. Still learning, but this thing was tasty.

A: A beautiful brown color with a thick white head.

S: Smelled malt and figs/raisins. Lots of nose.

T: One of the best well-balanced beers I've had. Nothing was overpowering and the flavor was spectacular. This was my first altbier, but I'm sure a stunning example.

M: Just right. Carbonation wasn't too much and every sip left me looking forward to the next one.

D: Very smooth. Well worth the drink, if you can find it.

Diebels Alt from Brauerei Diebels GmbH & Co KG