Sleep Over Coffee IIPA | To Øl

To Øl
Denmark
to-ol.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A collaboration with Mikkeller. Brewed and bottled at De Proef.

Added by PeterIngemi on 04-14-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 35 | Ratings: 123
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - It pours a deep orange/ light brown color with light head retention.

Aroma- Interesting earthy hops aromas, pine, citrus and the added roasted coffee notes really make it unique.

Taste- The taste is like somebody hopped the hell out of my coffee. It has some real nice bitterness, a little bit of sweetness up front and some umami.

Mouthfeel- It is medium to full bodied and has some warmth to it as well from the high ABV.

Overall- Very good and interesting beer. It’s more like a black IPA than a regular but a beer this unique couldn’t fit neatly into any category.

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a hazy amber and golden color. One inch of head, with little lacing after.

S - Great coffee smell, but less than I had imagined. Nice dose of hops and pine in the background.

T - Interesting mix of hops, light citrus with a more prominent coffee presence. Bitter, but not excessive.

M - Mild to medium body, nice amount of carbonation and considering the high ABV.

O - Not a bad beer, I wasn't sure what to think of it in theory, but it came together pretty well. I would drink it again, but I don't know if I would search it out.

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy, copper color. 3/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of coffee, chocolate, slight roasted malt, slight caramel malt, hint of yeast, and a hint of hop. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of slight alcohol, sweet malt, hint of yeast, hint of caramel malt, hint of pale malt, hint of chocolate, and a hint of coffee. Overall, too sweet, too little coffee, and weak on hops.

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Bell's tulip glass from a 11.2 oz bottle. This was a gift but I snagged a look at the price tag...yep Mikkeller. 7.49.

A- Hazy amber, retains a 2 inch head. As I drink, the amber color becomes watered down in appearance.
Sniff- Lacks the coffee kick that I look for in a coffee beer or coffee; not sure if the aroma is battling the IIPA smell with it. Either way, aroma is weak for me.
M- I like the carbonation in it. Light yet prominent
T- Now here is where I get the coffee. robust. The coffee flavor is a little bit sweet and lingers longer than the bitterness. Both coffee and citrus blend well at finish, but coffee remains supreme.
O- A nice treat, if you are a fan of IPAs and coffee beers. Definitely worth a try. Cheers

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Date: 4/15/14
Location: Eagle Provisions
Glassware: Tulip
Appearance: The beer pours the darkest amber I have ever seen from an IPA, clearly the adjuncts. The head is a half pinky width and white in color. Very interesting coloring for a beer.
Aromatics: Monstrously strong roasted whole bean coffee flavor. Toffee and caramel flavors. Strong wheats I really get little to no hops in the aroma.
Flavor: More of the coffee flavor in the beginning it's quite strong. Not to say it isn't drinkable, just one big flavor followed by other little ones. I still pick up some caramel flavors but a candied sugar is included in the taste. In the finish I finally pick up some of the hop flavor, I little floral and resinous.
Mouthfeel: The body is medium with a high carbonation. Little chew. The finish leaves a semi sweet, semi bitter semi roasted flavor that lingers for some time.
Notes: Bottled 9/24/13. Probably where all the hop flavor went the beer is nearly seven months old. I'd give it another try if it was fresh.

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance makes you take notice instantly - diry, cloudy, hazy soft yellow body. The head is white and sticky with relatively large carbonation bubbles. Coffee grounds dominate the smell. Coffee grounds again dominate the taste, but since that's the theme of this beer, I'd say that's acceptable.

A very different beer. Not bad, as it comes across like its name implies, but definitely one-dimensional overall. Coffee over-dominates everything, leaving nothing else on the palate. This got a 3.0 overall average score only because it's billed as a 'coffee iipa", otherwise this would get about a 2.0 overall at best.

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%

11.2 ounce bottle - $5.99 at Lucky's in Woodstock, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clouded, dark orange body with a sea foam spray-type, lightly yellowed head.

Smell: Resinous, citrus oils commingled with wafting, stinging alcohol and brewed (and subsequently chilled) coffee ahead of the sweetish malt notes failing to make much of an impression.

Taste: A toffee and caramel syrup maltiness with a quick pop of sugary sweetness. This upfront sweetness is swiftly knocked aside by a full rush of pithy citrus, resinous hops and a bold bitterness, as well as the coffee flavor and peppery, punchy alcohol qualities. Drying, bitter finish that's a bit hot. Lingering astringency and alcoholic harshness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: I didn't really like it. Not that I have a beef with the concept, as I quite enjoyed BHB's recent Wrong Em Boyo. Now c'mere and give me a hug!

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

11.2oz bottle poured into Founders snifter. This should be interesting- never had a coffee imperial ipa before. Cap says 8/2/14, I'm assuming this is the best by date.

A- Pours an opaque caramel brown with about 2-3 fingers of slightly off-white frothy head that has decent retention. Leaves thick layered frothy lacing. About average carbonation. The appearance of this beer is the closest you can get to a caramel appearance.

S- Coffee grinds that have been sitting around for awhile, hops, some chocolate, and malts. Lots of conflicting flavors that give this beer a terrible aroma. Literally smells like garbage.

T- Coffee grinds, light hops, some malts, finishes with more coffee grinds. Definitely a little bit better then the aroma, but the taste is still very off putting.

M- Medium bodied, average carbonation, abv actually decently well hidden, not too bad to put down once you get past the off putting taste.

O- I was kind of skeptical of a coffee IPA from the start. First of all this beer actually poured with a nice appearance, but it definitely went downhill from there. The aroma smelled like garbage- old coffee grinds that had been sitting in the trash for awhile mixed with some light underlying hops. The taste was a little bit better but not by much- the coffee and hops in this beer definitely didn't balance very well. The mouthfeel actually wasn't bad- for a 10.5% beer it actually went down pretty easily once you got past the rancid taste. Overall this beer was very unique, but there is no way I could recommend it. Actually had to drain pour it and I hardly ever drain pour beer.

2.07/5  rDev -45.7%

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Acquired at Total Beverage in Thornton, Colorado. Expectations are above average; Mikkeller is me favourite brewery in the world but the style seems off for Mikkel (and for me). 10.5% ABV. Brewed and bottled by To Øl at De Proef Brouwerij. Best before 08/02/2014.

Served warmer than refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor initially as no carbonation issues were anticipated, but poured with additional vigor after noting the absence of development of a head.

A: Pours a three finger thin white head of horrid thickness, no real cream, decent foam, and great retention for the high ABV. Colour is a murky hazy nontransparent dark copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Not vibrant or particularly inviting, but standard for the style.

Sm: Java/coffee is notable on the front end, with floral and bittering hops hiding behind. Coffee is dominant, but comes off somewhat weak and stale. Not a particularly appealing aroma. Moderate in strength. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

T: Foamy up front with stale badly handled coffee notes throughout, covering up the otherwise refreshing and enjoyable floral hop notes. The coffee and hops clash pretty roughly, ruining the balance. A rather poorly built IPA, and a huge disappointment - especially considering Mikkel was involved. This one's one of his worse offerings to be sure. Neither complex nor subtle. Certainly experimental, but highly problematic. No alcohol or yeast comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Adequately carbonated. Luckily it's not coarse or dry - because I don't want the unappealing flavours brought out more than they are. Thick enough.

Dr: Hard to drink on account of its low quality. This is a miss for Mikkeller - and a pricey miss at that. Leave this one on the shelf; I love Mikkeller but this is just not worth trying - even for fans of the style. I wouldn't get this again, even on draught. If it were watery, I'd give it an F.

High D-

1.33/5  rDev -65.1%

It's been a while since I posted a review, but after tasting this beer, and then looking at what others had to say, I needed to throw my two cents in.

This appearance is murky brown, and not very appetizing.

This beer smells like trash, and I mean that literally. If you blindfolded me, put this beer in front of my nose, and told me that if I accurately guessed what I was smelling I'd get a hundred bucks, I'd say I was smelling a plastic bag filled with trash and day old coffee grinds.

The taste is a little better, and there are indeed some tropical hops flavors, mixed with coffee. However, the aftertaste is the same as the nose - straight trash. I could only muster a two sips and then I had to pour out the rest.

It seems that I may of had a spoiled bottle, although I've never tasted an infection like this. Not sour in any way, just rancid. I can't remember having a worse beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last