Ov-ral | To Øl

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy amber-orange color; yeast floaters; thick, white head. Hoppy aroma; citrus; orange and grapefruit; pine resin. Strong, boozy flavors; hints of orange; light caramel malts; phenolic. Medium body; semi-dry.

A big, boozy beer that goes over-the-top with alcohol and phenol flavors. Too much of a band-aid-like flavor to really enjoy this one.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, very good beer. It has been a while since I've had something like this and I was not diasappointed. Definitely some beautiful piney hoppines with a significant caramel malt. Some underlying citrus fruitiness. Good head on pour, great color, great nose, smoothe.

Thanks to Golden Crust for having it in the bottle shop.

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had this on tap at Alewife, in LIC, NY.

The beer comes in a hazy ruby grapefruit color.

The aroma has huge perfumey floral hop aroma, citrus, tropical fruit, and some Brett.

The flavor has big caramel malt right in the front and then it becomes pine, resin, and citrus. It then finishes with a very spicy flavor. It's almost like there is rye in the malt bill. I don't get too much definition in this because of the fruity hops and the spicy malt.

This beer truly blew me away. Quite sweet from the malt, but tons of hops and interesting hints of funk. It does remind me slightly of Orval, but this is as what it is, a huge Double IPA.

One of those beers that stands out as super interesting for me. If it means anything, I was at a bar that had Heady Topper cans and I ordered this instead after trying a sip from my friend's. Then again, I have two cans in my fridge...

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Hazy amber-orange with a finger of frothy white head. Fades normal.

S - Sweet caramel malts, funky Brett and other wild yeasts, tart green fruits, Grapefruit and citrus hops, Belgian yeast, hint of spices.

T - Sweet caramel malts, grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops, lightly reiny bitterness, tart green fruits, funky Brett, Belgian yeasts, and some spices, bit of booze.

M - Medium-full bodied, moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sweet, warming, bitter, tart, and funky finish.

D - Nice complex and balanced wild/Belgian IPA.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Picked this up at the COOP last night... Paid $5ish. Pours with a 2 finger meringue like head... thick and foamy looks like shaving cream... the brew is hazed orange... beautiful sheets of lace for the entire glass.

Nose is very interesting... hoppy and phenolic.... some mild yet wild plastic notes... something that reminds me of apricots... and spicy coriander.

Candied grapefruit zest on the palate... dry dusty basement and somehow still something that seems to be sweetness, but I know this is bone dry... Hops (I think so) are sorta resinous piney notes.

Body is fairly big... even with the bigger carbonation the mouthfeel is still surprisingly creamy.

Pretty interesting beer... I would like to see some American breweries give this a try so I could hopefully try it a lot fresher.... Still a pretty cool experiment.

4.25/3.75/4/4/4

4.31/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

a really special beer here, in a very underrepresented style, the wild yeast imperial ipa. this is a mikkeller collaboration, as many tool beers are. it pours an unassuming clearish golden color with an orange tint and a pretty sizeable white head that slowly settles back down. the nose is fruity like the mosaic hops from odells woodcut 6, that same tropical fruit, semi-tart element. the yeast expands on this, its not sour, and its not saisony, its something else entirely. the flavor is just like the nose, but the fruit really stands out before the bitter aspect of the hops checks it. lots of funk from the yeast, and its a combination of three elements in perfect marriage. the alcohol is invisible here, which is impressive, and the beer is super hoppy without being particularly bitter. the yeast is as much a star as the hops here, and its overall just a very impressive flavor profile. awesome carbonation and a medium body, right about where youd expect it to fall, maybe just this side of medium, a tiny bit thin. ice cold this is exquisite, but it also improves with gentle warmth. a beer of unrivaled complexity and balance at the same time. I am looking forward to my next bottle!

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a light straw, amber color. Liberates 2 inches of head, which fades to leave a light crown of lace.

S - A pleasant citrus, hop, pine nose. A good amount of funk noted.

T - Very nice hop hit with medium malt back bone, more malt that I would have expected. The yeast comes through well with a slight hint of sour as well.

M - High mild to medium bodied. Light carbonation. Drinks well for the 10.5% alcohol.

O - I liked this beer, it didn't blow me away, but I could drink a couple and be quite happy. I picked this up on a recommendation from a guy at Whole Foods and I was happy I did. Worth trying.

2.25/5  rDev -43%