Imperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Barrel Aged | Evil Twin Brewing

Imperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Barrel AgedImperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Barrel Aged

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by james582 on 11-07-2013

Reviews: 133 | Ratings: 1,506
2.48/5  rDev -44.6%

I hear good things. My hearing’s not always so good, neither is the advice I hear. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife. I hear she’s cute. Wait. Yup.

The pour is a black denser than twilight in Mirkwood, if the whole forest were bubbling a bit. The aroma is a step back from the base, it’s hard to even make a single nose hair perk up. Mild vanilla, mild roast, mild mild. Pretty mild.

Imperial Biscotti Break - Bourbon Barrel Aged is one of those beers that’s been downgraded through its contact with the barrel. Gone are the nice subtleties of the base beer - all I get off of this is weirdly earthy vanilla, roast mixed with a finger of black licorice dipped in smoked meat. And that hangar Rocky’s beaten on really sticks around. The mouthfeel is on, but half a bomber? Looking a bit daunting right now.

I just glanced down several reviews - what the fuck? Did I get a re-capped beer? Because this isn’t in the same galaxy as what I’m seeing described. Dense, weird, clashing, with only a faint lick of barrel. Big disappointment, & not even on the right side of mediocre; not very good.

3.34/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

First review I've done in well over a year so I'm sure I'll be a little rusty but here goes nothing

Served in a snifter at about 60 degrees. Purchased the bottle for $45 at Grand Central

A: pours out a motor oil completely opaque black. Pours with a rather vigorous head that is milk chocolate in color and is comprised of very fine bubbles which begin to fizz away and dissipate rapidly. Leaves scattered lacing around the glass
S: the smell is very multidimensional. It begins with a deep sweetness like that of real maple syrup but just a little deeper. Then comes in the expected bourbon notes of woods and mainly booze. There is an underlying sweetness that is reminiscent of dr. Pepper. Pretty minimal on malt sweetness just because it is such a big beer
T: the first thing you get in the taste is the sweetness I had mentioned before. The bourbon comes in next where is is backed up pretty strongly by woody and slightly smoky flavors. There is a lingering taste in the mouth of bourbon, not necessarily bourbon of the highest quality but I would almost equate it to the aftertaste from a shot of Jameson.
M: this is where I feel this beer falls short. It's an overall slick mouthfeel with a bit of substance. I know with beers this high in ABV mouthfeel sometimes falls by the wayside but I've had plenty of imperial stouts with more substance to them than this. I would like a bit of a creamier and thicker mouthfeel. There is absolutely no alcohol burn which, I must admit, is nice.
O: it's a decent enough beer but, after all the hype I've heard surrounding the original biscotti break, I had much higher expectations. Would I pay $45 for this again? Not a chance in hell. Would I pay $15? Yes, and that's about as high as I would go. If you've got the pocketbook to buy a beer like this, pass it up and buy multiple $15 bottles instead, you'll be much happier.

3.58/5  rDev -20.1%

22oz bottle that cost $24.99. This beer is completely overpriced for the quality. It is not on the level of Bourbon Country or Parabola by a long shot. Typical stout appearance with almost no head. Aroma is mild bourbon and malts. Flavor is decent but I expect a heck of a lot from a bourbon barrel aged stout, especially one that costs $25. The few Evil Twin beers I've had have been underwhelming and overpriced. Save your money and buy something from Firestone Walker instead. Reminds me of when I had a 50/50 Eclipse, what a let down.

3.8/5  rDev -15.2%

Similar to the non barreled one, the smell is woody with a bit of coffee roast, only more coffee and chocolate this time. A hint of bready unlike the other, but just a hint. When I do a really aggressive pour to get some head, I get a milky garbage smell on the end of that woody smell. When the head is gone, so is that smell. Milky garbage?! WTF! Later it smooths out into an almost clean fruity smell along with a kind of malty sugar syrup Sugar Smacks cereal smell

Thinner than expected but a bit thicker than the non barreled one.

First taste is balanced between a the woody note from the aroma, a little bready something, a little chocolate, and a hint of nickel. Later it's more coffee and chocolate.

I get zero bourbon and no more wood than with the unbarreled one, which wasn't supposed to have any in the first place, and not a good wood but a weird green one. If there is supposed to be any of the namesake biscotti flavour in this, I'm not getting anything recognizable, though unlike the unbarreled version there's at least a hint of breadiness.

I almost never pour anything out, but given that this was a bummer and given that it had some really odd things about it and given that I was otherwise just bored with it, I just wasn't motivated to finish it and poured out about the last quarter of it. That's the absolute last result I expected from this beer of all beers. I've looked forward to this for so long.

I had heard wonderful things about this but it's really nothing special as imperials go. Disappointing. Had I not had any idea what to expect, I'd have said it was "OK ". It has some basic positives going on, but it is memorable more for its flaws.

3.8/5  rDev -15.2%

Looks like a typical imperial stout. Smell and flavor are both really heavy on the bourbon, hiding most of the biscotti flavor of the original. Definitely a bit thin. All in all a nice barrel flavor but much like the non-BB version I just don't seem to like this beer nearly as much as others.

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard unbranded pressure cap acquired from a local bottle shop and served into a Guinness stem-goblet glass in me parents’ gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado during my annual Christmas tasting. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high; I loved imperial biscotti break. 11.5% ABV confirmed. 2013 vintage. Reviewed as an imperial stout because the label clearly identifies it as such.

Served cold – straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with biscotti.

A: No bubble show forms as it’s poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of gorgeous khaki colour. Good thickness and creaminess. Smooth consistency. Soft complexion.

Body colour is an opaque dark solid black. No floating yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it’s a very respectable appearance for the style. I’m really looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Coffee/java/espresso, chocolate malt, dark malts, dark chocolate, light cream, caramel, cream, chocolate milk, and faint roasted barley.

No alcohol, hop character, or yeast character comes through.

T: Dark malts, caramel, chocolate malts, dark chocolate, luscious milk chocolate, vague light coffee/espresso, bourbon (great vanilla and oak), biscotti - sure, and light wood.

Alcohol is buried. No yeast character or hop character.

Extremely balanced. Build is gestalt, with few flaws. Great depth of flavour. Ideal duration and intensity of flavour. Fantastic complexity and subtlety. A nuanced and intricate brew. Incredibly tasty.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and creamy. Great presence and body. Perfect weight on the palate. Very soft. Almost delicate. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, or rough.

Dr: I'd definitely get it again. Great stuff from Evil Twin - maybe his best work. Incredible execution. As McDonald's would say, I'm lovin' it. I'm very impressed. He's giving Mikkel a run for his money in classic Evil Twin fashion. Very drinkable stuff. I could easily kill a bottle of this alone.

B+

3.97/5  rDev -11.4%

one of the most overrated beers ive had yet. it was solid, but nothing special. there are many, many stouts, regular and ba, that are better than this.

Good beer, I am glad I got to try once. Ridiculously over priced however, for such an underwhelming beer.

4.06/5  rDev -9.4%

A nice barrel aged imperial stout. The coffee, chocolate and bourbon work well together but lacks richness compared to many others on the shelf. Very smooth, medium bodied not very viscous or heavy, rounded flavors and a medium finish.

4.06/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: Pours out with a fudge brown colored liquid; even with a hard pour, not much head is raised and the bubbles quickly pop and fade; quite leggy, however, with streaks of mocha dots line the chalice

Smell: Dark chocolate, coffee, toasted almond, oak, vanilla and Bourbon

Taste: Very roasty, with chocolate and coffee flavors dominant, up front; in the middle, the Bourbon barrel adds another dimension, bringing vanilla and oak; the almond "Biscotti" arrives, after the swallow, bringing with it a sweeter edge that lingers into the finish; boozy and big

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation; warmth in the gullet

Overall: Of the three in this series that I have tried so far, I prefer the lighter bodied cherry version; this one is big and bold and will take some time to mellow out; a good beer but not worth anywhere near the price it commands at the bottle shop

4.09/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a viscous, motor oil black color, with a small mohagony head, fading to a small lacing at the edge of the glass. The head yields huge bubbles, turning to decadent alcohol legs after swirling.

Smells of moldy bitter chocolate, tons of fudge, a whiff of caramel and tobacco, tied together by a huge amount of roasted malts and bourbon soaked wood bark. While the Bourbon doubtlessly has a hot sting to it, it is well entangled into the beers soothing, rich malt qualities, creating a nutella like creaminess, as for a subtle hazelnuts layer on top.

Has a low carbonation, leaving the spotlight on the beers full body, revealing a stunning creaminess, creating a silk mouthfeel, despite the hot Bourbon burn during the finish.

While it begins earthy, with a profound roastiness to it, the beer develops a pungent, bitter dark chocolate character, mellowed by whipped cream and marshmellows. This balanced impression helps toffee, fudge and wooden vanilla to come up, while a tongue numbing sharpness follows immediately, once matured, dry oak hits the tastebuds. Profound Bourbon punches at the back of the throat for a short glance, producing a dry peak, balanced by mellow toffee, molasses and fresh brewed espresso. Leaves the palate as silk as during its beginning, while finishing way sweeter, to tame the very prominent, spicy Bourbon.

There is a bit of an ambivalence going on in this for me. The beer produces a fantastic, utmost smooth mouthfeel, finding its antagonist in the equally profound Bourbon, which almost creates a certain harshness, numbing my palate. The same is true for a nutella like sweetness on the one hand, and dark bitter chocolate on the other. This beer is extreme. I find it astonishing that it is still able to exhibit a convincing balance, resulting in a sipper you can wrap your head around the whole evening.

4.1/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On-tap 10/14/2015 at Tree House Tavern & Bistro, in Warwick, RI served in a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains rich chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, bourbon and dark fruit.

T: The taste starts out with a rich milk chocolate flavor followed by bourbon, dark fruit and coffee flavors. Then a touch of alcohol sting comes in along with a hearty roasted malt character. The hops presence is very faint as expected. The after-taste is slightly bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp, smooth and viscous, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down dangerously easy, slightly filling, strong kick, good representation of style, this is a very solid big stout to sip on for a long time.

4.12/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22oz into a snifter. Not bottle date - guessing at least a year or 2 old

Pours inky black and thick with not much head and zero lacing
Bourbon and sherry on the nose - this is definitely an aged bottle, but in a good way
Milk chocolate, a bit of booze and a touch of umame / soy sauce. Drying and ashy finish not my favorite
Medium body for the style, very drinkable

Overall a very nicely done stout. Bourbon influence has faded, but a smooth sipper none the less. One to drink fresh I suspect.

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a black body with one finger tan head. Caramel, toffee, figs, wood and booze all hit me in the aroma. Fuller body with strong notes of both wood smooth and well-balanced with different notes of chocolate, little bit of vanilla/bourbon sweetness and possible toffee and even prunes (some type of dark fruit). Easy passing, mellow body makes this dangerous sipper and finishes dry with notes of roasted coffee and booze and overall just a wonderful beer.

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black with a nice khaki head. Reddish tinge at the edges.

Smell - Light bourbon, but nice. Oak. Lots of chocolate. Coffee.

Taste - Coffee is stronger. Lots of chocolate. Bourbon blends nicely. Bitter and roasty in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Bitter and roasty. Medium body.

Overall - Really nice. The bourbon barrel, to its credit, doesn't mask the great flavors of the base.

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This was a significant improvement on the base beer. Like the base, it tastes of licorice, raisins, and almonds. Some chocolate comes through as well. Its very rich on the nose and flavor. The base tastes course and artificial to me, but the bourbon barrel helps to smooth that out. I get a little vanilla from the barrel and I really like how the bourbon integrates with the base beer. The bourbon flavor is pleasant without excess booziness. The mouth feel is on the lighter side of medium and there is a little chalkiness that detracts from the feel. Overall, its a very good beer with a few flaws.

4.19/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bomber into a snifter. The brew appears black in color with a dark brown head that is quick to fade leaving some spotty lace on the glass. A swirl revives a few bubbles.

The smell is tangy with bourbon. More whiffs reveal licorice, oak, caramel, toffee and roasted grain to char like earth. Overall a pleasantly complex aroma with the bourbon being bold but not dominating.

The taste includes plenty of roast and some tangy bourbon forward alcohol. Mid-palate are flavors of oak, licorice, coffee and dark raisony alcohol. A touch of toasted coconut is present in the finish which is really nice.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. It is nice and I appreciate the opportunity to try it but I really believe I actually prefer the base beer more.

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer looks appropriately awesome, pouring blacker than any beer ought to and with a gorgeous, chocolate brown head. As for taste and texture, there's nothing wrong with it; it certainly checks off all the boxes of what a BBA stout ought to be, so I can't call it a disappointment by any measure. That said, when you charge $25 a bottle, I expect a little something extra to set itself apart, and I can't say this fits that bill. If this were, say, $16 a bottle, I'd highly recommend it. As it stands, I'd still recommend it, but it's far from a must-have.

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

Black with brown head.

Bourbon and cookie dough, one of the better noses, really.

Bourbon's more backseat flavor, notes of amaretto and oak. Vanilla? Maybe. Dialed back version of the Doughnut Break and with a cookie twist. Robust but not a shock or punch to the mouth. Could stand to be more forward. Not worth $30, IMO.

Stout, not a porter. Not particularly smooth, has a good edge to it.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 650 to a snifter. (I edited my "rating" based on notes taken during this review).

A-The beer is dark, but not quite black in color. The head is thin and very dark dark brown. Retention is minimal; just a few seconds before it fades to a collar. The beer shimmers in the light and doesn't reveal much carbonation.

S-The aroma is a bit hot and harsh at first, with lots of bourbon heat and fusel alcohol coming through. My schnoz soon adjusts and I sniff hot fudge, drip coffee, raspy oak, caramel, a touch of cream, vanilla, marshmallow, some raisin, and a bit of bitter almond. Complex, but hot.

T-The taste is similar to the smell: lots of bourbon barrel here. I get oak, vanilla, caramel, a touch of cream, some fudge, raisin, fig, as well as bitter coffee grounds and almond on the finish.

M-The feel is thick and slightly syrupy on this older bottle (at least a year in my cellar). Carbonation is lower than average.

O-I had tasted this before and really loved it, but this full review left me a little less blown away. Don't get me wrong, this is a very, very good beer with layers of flavors, but I found it too hot and aggressive to compete with my favorite beers in this style, e.g., Uncle Jacobs. I guess I like my bourbon barrel stouts to have more smooth character and I think that the adjuncts here multiply the bitterness and harshness that the style typically possesses. Anyway, glad I finally pulled the trigger on drinking my bottle.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

Smelling lots of oak, tobacco, almond, bitter chocolate sweetness. Getting vanilla, chocolate, bourbon with only a whisp of sweetness. Super smooth and dry. Really awesome. Could be a touch thicker.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

After having the original and bourbon versions they are both pretty tasty. Both sweet as can be to mask a high ABV. When it's out of the refrigerator you get a lot of the sweet flavors like some vanilla, chocolate, coffee like flavors. As it warms SOME bourbon comes out with some dark fruit flavors and a bit more of a booze flavor. This one goes down very easy but I wish I got a bit more from the barrel. I don't like bourbon by itself but I've come to appreciate it in my stouts and this one doesn't deliver as much as I'd like. I'd drink it again but not going to make my top 5 by any means.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours completely pitch-black. However, it doesn't offer as much tan-colored head (hehe) as the non-barreled version. What little head there is tries to leave lacing on the glass, however.

Wowee! This is rich and dessert-like as they come. Though the coffee is a little faded, I'm nonetheless picking up tons of brown sugar, chocolate, molasses, and roasted malt. Additional qualities The bourbon quotient is subtle yet palpably there, offering subtle touches of oak, vanilla, and banana. Yeah...this aroma just works - not just from the intensity of the notes, but the way they all tie together.

I get a little more bourbon qualitiy flavor-wise. There's also a little less sweetness than the nose suggested. It actually starts off with some brown sugar, chocolate, and roasted flavors - the bourbon doesn't appear until the beer's finish. Still, it brings large amounts of oak and vanilla when it appears. Some dark fruits round out the two flavors in the mid-taste. This one is very woody, though. It's not quite as desserty as the base beer, but I'd argue it's more nuanced and complex.

The oak tannins make this a surprisingly dry beer - and a semi-drinkable one, too. It's clear this thick, massive beer wasn't ruined by the barrel. The texture still has a fullness to it that many barrel-aged stouts lack, though it's not motor oil thick. In spite of the oaky qualities, there isn't a hint of 11.5% to be found anywhere.

The flavor profile doesn't quite live up to the aroma (it's not a big step down, thankfully). Nonetheless, it's a top-notch barrel-aged imperial stout that holds its own with the BCBSes of the world. It's big and complex, while remaining dry and (relatively) drinkable. This one costs a lot of cheddar, but considering I had an even more expensive barrel-aged imperial stout before this that was a huge step down, I'd say it's worth it.

4.25/5: Big and rich, but not stupid - everything a barrel-aged beer should be

4.26/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Stoutfest IV reviews dump.

Thanks for holding this bottle for me Kimbozz. Probably like 8 months old; 2014 most likely.

A- Pitch black pour from the bomber into six glasses for Stoutfest IV. A nutty light brown, foamy head rises up to a finger with decent retention. Small-ish ring drops spotty lacing.

S- Rich and dessert forward like the original but with a medium Bourbon barrel influence. Toasted almonds, deep fudgey chocolate, slight cherry-truffle, deep roast coffee and the barrel. The wooden vessel leaves a peppery whiskey, light vanilla and deep toast wooden feel.

T- Chocolate, biscotti, Bourbon and big malts combine to make some sort of truffley dessert brew. The whiskey and barrel flavors really get strong at this juncture with hot Bourbon, caramel, vanilla sweets and old wood. Buttery toasted almonds, cherry dessert, deep bitter cocoa powder, charred barley, slight whiskey sour and fudge.

MF- Big body but actually somewhat thinner than I would imagine probably due to the massive ABV and the added barrel whiskey. Medium high carbonation and a slick frothy texture. Finishes rather warm.

The classic dessert-esque Biscotti Break flavor with large portion of whiskey at least in the flavor. To me the combination is very well done and it almost tops the original.

4.27/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a deep roasted malt color. Aroma is rich roasted with chocolate. The flavor follows the aroma. Barrel aged roasted malts. Finishes smooth but overall this is solid.

4.28/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Very dark brown with a fat, creamy toffee lacing ring.

S - Toffee, bourbon, sweet toasted caramel, toffee cream, oak.

T - Bourbon, toffee, toasted caramel cream, oak, muted dark chocolate.

M - Heavy, thick, slick, velvety, lip smacking sticky.

O - Pretty awesome beer but not the current score of (98).

Imperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Barrel Aged from Evil Twin Brewing