Imperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Barrel Aged | Evil Twin Brewing

Imperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Barrel AgedImperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Barrel Aged

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by james582 on 11-07-2013

Ratings: 1,596 |  Reviews: 140

1.2/5  rDev -73.2%

2.48/5  rDev -44.6%

I hear good things. My hearing’s not always so good, neither is the advice I hear. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife. I hear she’s cute. Wait. Yup.

The pour is a black denser than twilight in Mirkwood, if the whole forest were bubbling a bit. The aroma is a step back from the base, it’s hard to even make a single nose hair perk up. Mild vanilla, mild roast, mild mild. Pretty mild.

Imperial Biscotti Break - Bourbon Barrel Aged is one of those beers that’s been downgraded through its contact with the barrel. Gone are the nice subtleties of the base beer - all I get off of this is weirdly earthy vanilla, roast mixed with a finger of black licorice dipped in smoked meat. And that hangar Rocky’s beaten on really sticks around. The mouthfeel is on, but half a bomber? Looking a bit daunting right now.

I just glanced down several reviews - what the fuck? Did I get a re-capped beer? Because this isn’t in the same galaxy as what I’m seeing described. Dense, weird, clashing, with only a faint lick of barrel. Big disappointment, & not even on the right side of mediocre; not very good.

2.75/5  rDev -38.6%

2.96/5  rDev -33.9%

3.25/5  rDev -27.5%

3.34/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

First review I've done in well over a year so I'm sure I'll be a little rusty but here goes nothing

Served in a snifter at about 60 degrees. Purchased the bottle for $45 at Grand Central

A: pours out a motor oil completely opaque black. Pours with a rather vigorous head that is milk chocolate in color and is comprised of very fine bubbles which begin to fizz away and dissipate rapidly. Leaves scattered lacing around the glass
S: the smell is very multidimensional. It begins with a deep sweetness like that of real maple syrup but just a little deeper. Then comes in the expected bourbon notes of woods and mainly booze. There is an underlying sweetness that is reminiscent of dr. Pepper. Pretty minimal on malt sweetness just because it is such a big beer
T: the first thing you get in the taste is the sweetness I had mentioned before. The bourbon comes in next where is is backed up pretty strongly by woody and slightly smoky flavors. There is a lingering taste in the mouth of bourbon, not necessarily bourbon of the highest quality but I would almost equate it to the aftertaste from a shot of Jameson.
M: this is where I feel this beer falls short. It's an overall slick mouthfeel with a bit of substance. I know with beers this high in ABV mouthfeel sometimes falls by the wayside but I've had plenty of imperial stouts with more substance to them than this. I would like a bit of a creamier and thicker mouthfeel. There is absolutely no alcohol burn which, I must admit, is nice.
O: it's a decent enough beer but, after all the hype I've heard surrounding the original biscotti break, I had much higher expectations. Would I pay $45 for this again? Not a chance in hell. Would I pay $15? Yes, and that's about as high as I would go. If you've got the pocketbook to buy a beer like this, pass it up and buy multiple $15 bottles instead, you'll be much happier.

3.47/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

bourbon takes over the base beer. it mutes all the flavors of IBB. good beer if you like your bourbon neat

3.51/5  rDev -21.7%

3.54/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -20.1%

22oz bottle that cost $24.99. This beer is completely overpriced for the quality. It is not on the level of Bourbon Country or Parabola by a long shot. Typical stout appearance with almost no head. Aroma is mild bourbon and malts. Flavor is decent but I expect a heck of a lot from a bourbon barrel aged stout, especially one that costs $25. The few Evil Twin beers I've had have been underwhelming and overpriced. Save your money and buy something from Firestone Walker instead. Reminds me of when I had a 50/50 Eclipse, what a let down.

3.59/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Imperial Biscotti Break Bourbon Barrel Aged from Evil Twin Brewing